Considering a 'bent

Old June 19th 08, 11:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

Default Considering a 'bent

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:16:25 +0200
Jon Bendtsen wrote:
wrote:
Another thing was the elbow angle. When I read in bed for example with
elbows at 90 deg or more for any length of time my hands get numb.
Obviously apples and oranges, but the more extended arm position of
USS looks more comfortable to me.

Okay, i'll think about what my elbow angle is next time i ride
it. My bikes handlebar mount can be pushed forward, or backwards
which would change the angle.

My elbow angle with the Bacchetter Giro 20 is fairly straight. Not as
straight as the faster Bacchettas get, but well past 90deg.

I think the open or closed thing makes a difference. The cruzbike
website and forum talks about pulling in the handlebars and thus
closing to gain extra strength. I tried it myself, and it appears
to be working, especially uphill. Unfortunately my stamina is not
yet there where i can do this for longer times.

That tends to raise the heartrate, you can't do it for long.

I'm slow up hills, I have found that I don't have the aerobic fitness
to spin up them, so I tend to grind away in a lower gear. So up
Melville St which ranges from 1 in 8 to 1 in 6 for 800m, I start in
the lowest rear and middle ring, push that for as long as I can, drop
to smallest ring and about 3rd gear, push that, down, push that, down,
push that. My lowest cadence is about 55 on that.

If I had more heart I could spin more.

I comfort myself with the idea that the bike is heavyish and is
carrying a lot of gear. If I was one my friend's Challenge Sieran
then I'd be faster up there.

Zebee
Old June 19th 08, 11:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on 19 Jun 2008 10:09:03 GMT
Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I'm slow up hills, I have found that I don't have the aerobic fitness
to spin up them, so I tend to grind away in a lower gear. So up
Melville St which ranges from 1 in 8 to 1 in 6 for 800m, I start in

ack. What was I thinking? you'd need a ladder for that!

it's 50m of climbing in 800m, so that's what, 1 in 16! not one in 6.

Whatever the numbers, it's a ******* of a hill.

Zebee
Old June 19th 08, 11:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Jon Bendtsen wrote:
wrote:
[...]

It does, but i expect it is a good way to get a better stamina.

I'm slow up hills, I have found that I don't have the aerobic fitness
to spin up them, so I tend to grind away in a lower gear. So up
Melville St which ranges from 1 in 8 to 1 in 6 for 800m, I start in
the lowest rear and middle ring, push that for as long as I can, drop
to smallest ring and about 3rd gear, push that, down, push that, down,
push that. My lowest cadence is about 55 on that.

Well, in Denmark we dont have the kind of hills you guys have,
so i dont get so tired.

JonB
Old June 19th 08, 11:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I'm slow up hills, I have found that I don't have the aerobic fitness
to spin up them, so I tend to grind away in a lower gear. So up
Melville St which ranges from 1 in 8 to 1 in 6 for 800m, I start in

ack. What was I thinking? you'd need a ladder for that!

it's 50m of climbing in 800m, so that's what, 1 in 16! not one in 6.

Whatever the numbers, it's a ******* of a hill.

Mine are 23 heightmeters in 1100 meters, 15 meters in 375 meters
and 26 meters in 1250 meters

There are bigger hills but they are further away.

But generally, denmark is flat.

Bent hanger -- Bent frame? ... shifting problems DaveH[_2_] Techniques 16 October 8th 07 02:14 AM
Cruzbike - To bent or not to bent... Zebee Johnstone Australia 17 July 27th 06 09:57 AM
Jon's bent is bent. Jon Senior UK 16 July 8th 04 10:05 AM
Black Bent Down: Worst Experience on a Bent This Year jim h Recumbent Biking 14 November 30th 03 11:58 PM
Bent 'bent update Just zis Guy, you know? UK 2 July 19th 03 07:36 PM