Helmet cams / Cycle cams

Old July 12th 09, 02:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pip Ryder

Default Helmet cams / Cycle cams

I'm thinking about getting some kind of camera to record my journeys
both on and off road. Can anyone recommend any devices and give me an
idea of the costs?

I'd also like to hear any advice anyone has on the subject. What things
to look out for and what to avoid.
Old July 12th 09, 04:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod43

On 12 July, 02:17, Pip Ryder wrote:
I'm thinking about getting some kind of camera to record my journeys
both on and off road. Can anyone recommend any devices and give me an
idea of the costs?

I'd also like to hear any advice anyone has on the subject. What things
to look out for and what to avoid.

Well, I advise avoiding imagining that clear and unambiguous
video evidence of an assault by a motorist driving over you
will help you in any way.

The reason that this should be avoided is that you
could be seriously injured or killed and the
video will not be of any evidential value as far as
several reports have described.

If you want to record your journeys for your own interest,
then of course you may, if think that any such video
may prevent you from or any other vulnerable road user
from being maimed of killed then please think again.
"Vulnerable" in the context of the highway code means
to a motorist, someone who I can freely drive at and be
assured that no consequences will ensue.

As has been described frequently on this group no one
with any power to do anything about it gives a toss.

We live in a Motorist Supremacist society and unless you
fancy yourself as Nelson Mandella II you should
make decisions on your road behaviour on that basis.
Keep out of their way and bow appreciativley after being
run off of the road.

Old July 12th 09, 04:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pip Ryder

If you want to record your journeys for your own interest,
then of course you may

Yes, that's precisely what I want to do. I'm always on the look out for
ways to improve my cycling. In cases where a hazardous situation has
arisen, I try and think back to what I could have done to make myself
safer or give myself more options for an escape.

It'd be nice to have a video that I could look at to study. It'd also
give me opportunity to show the video to other people and ask them wat
they think I could have done in that situation.
Old July 12th 09, 07:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Pip Ryder" wrote in message

If you want to record your journeys for your own interest,
then of course you may

Yes, that's precisely what I want to do. I'm always on the look out for
ways to improve my cycling. In cases where a hazardous situation has
arisen, I try and think back to what I could have done to make myself
safer or give myself more options for an escape.

It'd be nice to have a video that I could look at to study. It'd also give
me opportunity to show the video to other people and ask them wat they
think I could have done in that situation.

There are in the main two things which you can do to improve your cycle
safety with regard to other road users.

[1] Ride further into the main traffic flow. This increases your visibility
to others and ensures that you are not overtaken when it is unsafe. When it
is safe to be overtaken, pull back closer to the kerb (about 1 metre) but
not so close to the kerb that you will be forced off the road when they come
too close (they will!).

[2] Watch out for anything which may suddenly appear in your path. Opening
doors, pedestrians, kids between cars, cars pulling out of side roads, those
jumping red lights etc. and give way to them. Always pass hazards *W*I*D*E*.
This will ensure that the ****-in-a-car behind does not try to overtake (at
that point) this is particularly important when passing through junctions or
where the road narrows.

Old July 12th 09, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 12 July, 02:17, Pip Ryder wrote:
I'm thinking about getting some kind of camera to record my journeys
both on and off road. Can anyone recommend any devices and give me an
idea of the costs?

I'd also like to hear any advice anyone has on the subject. What things
to look out for and what to avoid.

Basic helmet cams cost from about £100; they typically take four AA
cells and record onto SD or similar memory cards. These basic ones are
self contained units normally no bigger than a small torch. They take
perfectly good youtube quality movies, but have typically no zoom or
other controls. This one seems well regarded:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ATC3K...cientific.html

(I bought one of these for my niece who uses it in experimental
theatre work; it's good for that but I have not used it on a bike).

More sophisticated devices have a small camera head and a larger pack
which you might put in a back pocket containing the batteries and
recording equipment. The best of these will shoot professional quality
HD video but the price is eye watering:

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Sony_HXR_MC1P.html

When mounted on a helmet or headband you tend to get reasonably
smooth, non-jerky pictures from any camera, because we're very good at
keeping our heads steady. If mounted on the bike then on anything but
very smooth roads you are inevitably going to get a jerky picture, and
on rough tracks vibration may make it more or less unwatchable.
Old July 12th 09, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Jul 12, 2:17*am, Pip Ryder wrote:
I'm thinking about getting some kind of camera to record my journeys
both on and off road. Can anyone recommend any devices and give me an
idea of the costs?

There was a feature on this in Cycle a few months back. I'll see if I
can find it.
--
Guy
Old July 12th 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pip Ryder

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

There was a feature on this in Cycle a few months back. I'll see if I
can find it.

Haha, thanks for pointing this out to me.

I think it's the Feb-Mar 2009 issue you're referring to? I've just found
it and ripped it out of it's cellophane wrapper. I rarely get time to
read them
Old July 12th 09, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 09:10:38 +0100, Pip Ryder
wrote:

I think it's the Feb-Mar 2009 issue you're referring to? I've just found
it and ripped it out of it's cellophane wrapper. I rarely get time to
read them

That'll save me making a PDF for you then...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/
simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old July 12th 09, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

bod43 wrote:

We live in a Motorist Supremacist society and unless you
fancy yourself as Nelson Mandella II you should
make decisions on your road behaviour on that basis.
Keep out of their way and bow appreciativley after being
run off of the road.

Nice one- we're back to 'cycling Bantustans' ;-)

(no, for those who don't understand you bloody well ought to ,now go and
look it up)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 12th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

Pip Ryder wrote:

If you want to record your journeys for your own interest,
then of course you may

Yes, that's precisely what I want to do. I'm always on the look out for
ways to improve my cycling. In cases where a hazardous situation has
arisen, I try and think back to what I could have done to make myself
safer or give myself more options for an escape.

It'd be nice to have a video that I could look at to study. It'd also
give me opportunity to show the video to other people and ask them wat
they think I could have done in that situation.

Every now and then as an exercise I try to cycle with the attitude
that concealed somewhere in the traffic stream is a gang of assassins
who at any moment may mount a co-ordinated attempt to kill me which
would appear to be a simple accident which could be blamed on not
having seen me. The important thing is to have escape routes available
and the time to use them. Mostly there are, and often when there
aren't simple changes in position and speed by me can create the
needed space and time.

I find it difficult, exhausting, but very educational.

I also note that my last car-cycle accident, which damaged my bike
severely but luckily not me, was actually foreseen by me as a
possibility as I approached the car with with its nose sticking out of
the side road into the traffic stream, and into my path. I also
noticed that if I passed in front of it I wouldn't have time to avoid
being rammed. As I have trained myself to do, I quickly realised that
there was a safe way of foiling the assassination -- by turning into
the same side street in order to go round the back of the car with
plenty of time and space for avoidance.

But I was feeling tired and lazy and in no mood to take such an
extreme precaution against such an unlikely accident. So I simply told
myself not be silly and paranoid and just cycle past.

The car suddenly shot forwards and rammed me broadside. My bike ended
up under its wheels, but I luckily I bounced off the bonnet instead.

First car-cycle accident I've had in decades. Obviously I need to take
my own advice more seriously.

--
Chris Malcolm