What is a cyclist?

Old September 12th 09, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Default What is a cyclist?

Marc twisted the electrons to say:
Doug once classed me as a " real cyclist" but that was under a different
measurement regime.It seems he has more than one standard.

Or maybe just one, that changes to meet the required division?

Hmm ... Is someone who's travelled ~3000km in the past year whilst
driving and ~1600km in the same time period whilst cycling a motorist or
a cyclist? OTOH, is someone who's made 15 car journeys in the last 12
months but made 140 bicycle journeys a motorists of a cyclist?

I think the logical argument is that whilst they where driving they where
a motorist, and whilst they where cycling they where a cyclist but what's
the illogical answer?
Old September 12th 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Marc twisted the electrons to say:
Doug once classed me as a " real cyclist" but that was under a different
measurement regime.It seems he has more than one standard.

Or maybe just one, that changes to meet the required division?

Hmm ... Is someone who's travelled ~3000km in the past year whilst
driving and ~1600km in the same time period whilst cycling a motorist or
a cyclist? OTOH, is someone who's made 15 car journeys in the last 12
months but made 140 bicycle journeys a motorists of a cyclist?

I think the logical argument is that whilst they where driving they where
a motorist, and whilst they where cycling they where a cyclist but what's
the illogical answer?

Following that logic, Doug isn't a cyclist when he's posting here?
Old September 12th 09, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Alistair Gunn wrote:
Marc twisted the electrons to say:
Doug once classed me as a " real cyclist" but that was under a different
measurement regime.It seems he has more than one standard.

Or maybe just one, that changes to meet the required division?

Hmm ... Is someone who's travelled ~3000km in the past year whilst
driving and ~1600km in the same time period whilst cycling a motorist or
a cyclist? OTOH, is someone who's made 15 car journeys in the last 12
months but made 140 bicycle journeys a motorists of a cyclist?

I think the logical argument is that whilst they where driving they where
a motorist, and whilst they where cycling they where a cyclist but what's
the illogical answer?

Ask Doug, he knows all the illogical answers.

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 12th 09, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Marc twisted the electrons to say:
Following that logic, Doug isn't a cyclist when he's posting here?

Well, unless he was posting whilst cycling, no ...
Old September 12th 09, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 11:59:05 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

The context of 'rammed' was given in my message: "A numpty motorist,
not paying proper attention, and ramming the trailer."

You use the very Dougite term "rammed" (which implies a deliberate act).

Time for an online poll.

In the following context, who thinks the word "ramming" implies a
deliberate act?

===== Begin =====
===== End =====
Old September 12th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 10:45:03 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:30:44 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

No. I would have preferred to haul the bikes by bike. Safety
concerns over hauling an unladen trailer caused me to use the motor
vehicle.

I'm interested to learn what these safety concerns might be.

A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.

Surely you would have it properly marked, perhaps with a board across the
back with lights and other markers, to ensure it is as visible as is humanly
possible?

No.
Old September 12th 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

wrote:

The context of 'rammed' was given in my message: "A numpty motorist,
not paying proper attention, and ramming the trailer."

You use the very Dougite term "rammed" (which implies a deliberate act).

Time for an online poll.

In the following context, who thinks the word "ramming" implies a
deliberate act?

===== Begin =====
A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.
===== End =====

I vote Nugent!

Anyone else?

Old September 12th 09, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

The context of 'rammed' was given in my message: "A numpty motorist,
not paying proper attention, and ramming the trailer."

You use the very Dougite term "rammed" (which implies a deliberate
act).

Time for an online poll.

In the following context, who thinks the word "ramming" implies a
deliberate act?

===== Begin =====
A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.
===== End =====

Yes, the word ramming does indicate a deliberate act.

Old September 12th 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

No. I would have preferred to haul the bikes by bike. Safety
concerns over hauling an unladen trailer caused me to use the
motor vehicle.

I'm interested to learn what these safety concerns might be.

A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.

Surely you would have it properly marked, perhaps with a board
across the back with lights and other markers, to ensure it is as
visible as is humanly possible?

No.

In which case it shouldn't be on the road at all should it?

Old September 12th 09, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

The context of 'rammed' was given in my message: "A numpty motorist,
not paying proper attention, and ramming the trailer."
You use the very Dougite term "rammed" (which implies a deliberate
act).

Time for an online poll.

In the following context, who thinks the word "ramming" implies a
deliberate act?

===== Begin =====
A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.

Yes, the word ramming does indicate a deliberate act.

Add me to your side

--

Tony Dragon

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 04:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 09:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM