What is a cyclist?

Old September 14th 09, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Default What is a cyclist?

Doug wrote:
On 14 Sep, 07:41, Tony Dragon wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 13 Sep, 12:47, "alan.holmes" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but
who are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their
claim to be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here,
might qualify as a cyclist?
Someone who owns a bicycle, sometimes sits on the saddle, and puts
his/her feet on the pedals and presses them down and around which
makes them move on the road (or pavement)!

Is that simple enough?

Unfortunately not because he might do it for just 10 minutes once a
year while spending the rest of his time bombing about in a car and
criticising cyclists on this newsgroup.

So what is he, this 'not a cyclist', when he is cycling.

A motorist posing as a cyclist.

How does one pose as a cyclist Doug?

Old September 14th 09, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

http://www.thesupermariobros.com/wp-...nson-bike1.jpg

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 14th 09, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Keitht wrote:
Brimstone wrote:

How does one pose as a cyclist Doug?

http://www.thesupermariobros.com/wp-...nson-bike1.jpg

ROFL.

Old September 14th 09, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Robin Johnson" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

Perhaps all cyclists should display a sign saying "PASS WIDE". That might
help numpty drivers who think it is OK to pass too close. It would also
erase the need for cyclists to ride in the centre of the lane when there
is not enough space to pass safely.

If you weren't going to pass unsafely, why would that matter?

It seems to matter to the numpty drivers who don't like the idea of cyclists
being in the centre of the lane. As I have said previously, I would happily
ride closer to the kerb or verge if drivers were not going to pass so close.

Old September 14th 09, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

"Doug" wrote in message
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?
Someone who owns a bicycle, sometimes sits on the saddle, and puts his/her
feet on the pedals and presses them down and around which makes them move on
the road (or pavement)!
Is that simple enough?
Unfortunately not because he might do it for just 10 minutes once a
year while spending the rest of his time bombing about in a car and
criticising cyclists on this newsgroup.

So what is he, this 'not a cyclist', when he is cycling.

A motorist posing as a cyclist.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net

Doug, perhaps you would like to set up a database of who is a real
cyclist, who is a motorist, who is a cyclist posing as a motorist, who
is a motorist posing as a cyclist.
It would have to be you who does it, because to everybody else the rules
seem to change to often.

But it is good to know, that a person cycling, is probably not a cyclist.

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 14th 09, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

"Doug" wrote in message

[...]

I have qualified twice as a "real" cyclist.
Once because I didn't not criticise a motorist,or it might have been a
cyclist, I got confused and I think Doug did as well, when Doug declared
that that was the mark of a "real" cyclist. Now I'm a real cyclist
becuase I cycle 4 times a day and travel over twice as many miles a week
on a bike as I do in a car ( which i think is this weeks definition of a
"real" cyclist!

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 04:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 09:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM