What is a cyclist?

Old September 10th 09, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

Default What is a cyclist?

On 2009-09-10, Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

Best way is a questionnaire, with questions like: do you keep your bikes
indoors, how many bikes do you have, do you use bike lanes, what do you
eat for breakfast and why, etc.
Old September 10th 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

Why do you want to create an artificial distinction Doug?

Old September 10th 09, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

bugbear wrote:
Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...ts.html#middle

I fear the subtlety will be lost on Doug.

Old September 10th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

You can but it won't work.
numbered! My life is my own.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

and an old one
"A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding
their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the
students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of
potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The
teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow
old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass
by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your
eyes are open and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to
chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third
student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with
all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the
golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The
teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am
your disciple."

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 10th 09, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Doug" wrote in message
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Well, I cycle 6000 miles a year to work, but drive 3500 miles in my 3 week
holiday, so still qualify.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old September 10th 09, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

Simon Mason twisted the electrons to say:
Well, I cycle 6000 miles a year to work, but drive 3500 miles in my 3 week
holiday, so still qualify.

What if we include flights and/or ferry journeys? Maybe you might turn
out to be an aviator or a sailor? :-) I know based on the "which mode
of transport did you travel the furthest" I'm definitely an aviator, but
then a return flight to Tasmania will do that for your milage total!
Old September 10th 09, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jeremy Parker

"Doug" wrote in message
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but
who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might
qualify
as a cyclist?

As everybody is pointing out, those are two independent questions,
and the answer to one has nothing to do with the answer to the other.

Also, neither question is binary yes or no.

My mother had a drivers licence, which I suppose makes her a
motorist, but for most of my life she refused ever to drive a car.

You obviously need some kind of point scoring to indicate how much of
each you are

But should you count by the mile, the minute, the trip, or something
else?

If people only drove off road, on race tracks - I imagine there might
be teenagers who would do that - would they be motorists?

If somebody loaded their mountain bike into their car, drove to a
national forest, took a ski lift to the top of a hill, and coasted
back to their car, would that make them a cyclist?

How many laps of the Elephant and Castle roundabout would equate to
completing an ironman triathlon?

Perhaps you should rephrase you question

Jeremy Parker

Old September 10th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 23:19:17 -0700, Doug wrote:

On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to be
cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify as a
cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on a
cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

You really are a silly old goat. By your logic, I am an aviator.

Mike P
Old September 10th 09, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Luton[_2_]

Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?

May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Now, take some examples for evaluation. Someone commutes to work on a
bicycle but at the weekend bombs around in a car for fun. Conversely,
a person commutes by car but bombs around for fun and exercise at the
weekend on a cycle. What are they primarily, motorist or cyclist? It
surely depends how far they travel on each?

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/

I am a human being ! Labelling people as cyclists, motorists etc just
suggests (incorrectly) that these are types of people so we get "
Council biased against motorists " as if it were a type of discrimination.

I contend that Cycling facilities are mostly for "non-cyclists". People
who cycle already will go on cycling. People who don't need encouragement.

All this despite the original source of "CTC".

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames
Old September 10th 09, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Paul Luton wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

It's interesting is it not that Doug, who claims to abhor discrimination,
wants to create artificial catergories which is the first step towards
discrimination.

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 04:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 09:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM