What is a cyclist?

Old September 11th 09, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default What is a cyclist?

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:56:07 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

I would certainly class myself as a cyclist over motorist.

But what you have to take into account, Tom, is that motorists do feel
a little guilty these days of greater environmental awareness and
maybe take refuge in cycling as an excuse. What better greenwash than
to be regarded as a regular cyclist while sneaking around furtively in
your car!

I am a regular cyclist.

I wouldn't class bombing up to Scotland on the M6 at speeds of up to
60mph as being furtive, or even charging down to the south of France
and into northern Spain, having booked my car onto the shuttle train
service under the English Channel.

Surely a truly green cyclist would never dream of using a car?

What I certainly do not do is use my car for journeys under 10 miles
that can reasonably be commuted by bicycle.

I think that I have only used my car five times so far this year, one
of which was for under five miles, but I did have five children's
bicycles in the boot.
Old September 11th 09, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , Tom Crispin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:19:45 -0500, Andy Leighton
wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:02:00 +0100, Keitht KeithT wrote:

Bamboo bikes stuck together with fish-glue?

Cheese glue would be better - I think it would hold up better
to the stresses.

Vegetarians would object to one; vegans would object to t'other.

Vegans would object to both, surely?

But real bamboo bikes seem to use epoxy glues.

I'm sure projects like these would appreciate it if there was a
suitable low-tech alternative that was easy to produce locally:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8125274.stm

And, at the risk of restarting an old debate, here's a bamboo bike
with some of the rear wheel spokes reinforced with bamboo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VdRaJkc7c
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000
Old September 11th 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Why didn't you use your trailer?

Old September 11th 09, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

[...]

I feel uncomfortable hauling it unladen. I keep on meaning to fit a
couple of flags.

One of my all time favorite rides was along the A20 / A202 from Lee
Green to Brixton hauling 4 bikes behind my bike at the morning peak,
so I certainly haven't been intimidated away from using it.
Old September 11th 09, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BrianW[_2_]

On 11 Sep, 16:14, Doug wrote:

On 2009-09-11, Doug wrote:

On 11 Sep, 01:05, Martin wrote:
Doug wrote:
On this newsgroup are motorists who also claim to be cyclists but who
are highly critical of cyclists, which casts doubt on their claim to
be cyclists. So what, for the purposes of debate here, might qualify
as a cyclist?
May I suggest the following: 'If a person travels further each year on
a cycle than they do in a car then they can be regarded as a genuine
cyclist'.

Why does it have to be distance, why not time. If a person travels 120
miles a week by car and 100 miles by bike, they could easily achieve the
car distance in 2 hours yet the bike distance would take many cyclists
over 5 hours. They would spend longer in the saddle, than at the wheel.

Because travel is consumerist and bad for the planet.

What harm exactly does travel do to the planet? Are you concerned we're
going to wear it out by driving across it too much?

Travel is a form of consumerism which wastes non-renewable energy and
pollutes. Also it tends to trash the environment at tourist hot-spots.
Those who benefit financially from the tourist trade usual do so at
the expense of their environment. There can be no doubt that humans
love to move around a lot and this may be attributable to the hunter-
gatherer instinct but technology has provided a way of proliferating
travel to the extent that it has become a very serious threat to the
environment.

Couldn't agree more. For example, see this pic of some irresponsible
individual riding a two stroke motorbike in the Sahara Desert. Just
think of the CO2 involved in transporting that person there, plus the
pollution caused by the motorbike in a fragile environment. What sort
of person would do that, Doug?

http://www.pnony.org.uk/maroc.html
Old September 11th 09, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

wrote:

[...]

You mean that you haven't been rammed?

--

Tony Dragon
Old September 11th 09, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

But you said you had bicycles in the boot of your car?

Old September 11th 09, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

BrianW wrote:
On 11 Sep, 16:14, Doug wrote:

On 2009-09-11, Doug wrote:

On 11 Sep, 01:05, Martin wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Don't forget the pollution involved in producing the motocycle and
transporting it to the Sahara location, not to mention the continuing need
to transport fuel and other consumables to there.

Old September 11th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Ben C wrote:

The smug ****er round here who knows he is green is a ****e cyclist.

When you say "round here" do you mean in RL?

Nah, local to me.

I would ride my bike even if it was bad for the environment. That is why
I am a cyclist.

I'm actually thinking of getting some "global warming denier" jerseys
made up to reduce typecasting.

Just find some of Clarkson's better wind-up quotes ;-)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old September 11th 09, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

[...]

My God! Do you need the whole story?

The journey by car was to collect five bicycles.

The trip could have been made by two bike trips, yes. But to do so
would have invovled hauling the trailer unladen twice. Instead I
belched out carbon for a few minutes.

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 05:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 10:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM