What is a cyclist?

Old September 11th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Default What is a cyclist?

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:07:45 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:01:42 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 23:56:07 -0700 (PDT), Doug
wrote:

I would certainly class myself as a cyclist over motorist.

But what you have to take into account, Tom, is that motorists do
feel a little guilty these days of greater environmental
awareness and maybe take refuge in cycling as an excuse. What
better greenwash than to be regarded as a regular cyclist while
sneaking around furtively in your car!

I am a regular cyclist.

I wouldn't class bombing up to Scotland on the M6 at speeds of up
to 60mph as being furtive, or even charging down to the south of
France and into northern Spain, having booked my car onto the
shuttle train service under the English Channel.

Surely a truly green cyclist would never dream of using a car?

What I certainly do not do is use my car for journeys under 10
miles that can reasonably be commuted by bicycle.

I think that I have only used my car five times so far this year,
one of which was for under five miles, but I did have five
children's bicycles in the boot.

Why didn't you use your trailer?

I feel uncomfortable hauling it unladen. I keep on meaning to fit a
couple of flags.

But you said you had bicycles in the boot of your car?

My God! Do you need the whole story?

The journey by car was to collect five bicycles.

The trip could have been made by two bike trips, yes. But to do so
would have invovled hauling the trailer unladen twice. Instead I
belched out carbon for a few minutes.

Hmmmm, so your preference is for driving a car rather than using a bicycle
then.

Old September 11th 09, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Don't let him rattle you.

Just like *everyone else*, you have a perfect right to travel by car.

Don't let any nutter try to convince you otherwise.
Old September 11th 09, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

But you said you had bicycles in the boot of your car?

My God! Do you need the whole story?

The journey by car was to collect five bicycles.

The trip could have been made by two bike trips, yes. But to do so
would have invovled hauling the trailer unladen twice. Instead I
belched out carbon for a few minutes.

Don't let him rattle you.

Just like *everyone else*, you have a perfect right to travel by car.

Don't let any nutter try to convince you otherwise.

'scuse me!! I'm not *any* nutter!

Old September 11th 09, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Brimstone wrote:

wrote:

But you said you had bicycles in the boot of your car?

My God! Do you need the whole story?
The journey by car was to collect five bicycles.
The trip could have been made by two bike trips, yes. But to do so
would have invovled hauling the trailer unladen twice. Instead I
belched out carbon for a few minutes.

Don't let him rattle you.
Just like *everyone else*, you have a perfect right to travel by car.
Don't let any nutter try to convince you otherwise.

'scuse me!! I'm not *any* nutter!

Ssshhh!

You know full well what I was doing.
Old September 11th 09, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

[...]

No. I would have preferred to haul the bikes by bike. Safety
concerns over hauling an unladen trailer caused me to use the motor
vehicle.
Old September 11th 09, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm interested to learn what these safety concerns might be.

Old September 11th 09, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Don't apologise. You were completely within your rights.
Old September 11th 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:30:44 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

No. I would have preferred to haul the bikes by bike. Safety
concerns over hauling an unladen trailer caused me to use the motor
vehicle.

I'm interested to learn what these safety concerns might be.

A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.
Old September 11th 09, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:31:47 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Don't apologise.

I won't.
Old September 11th 09, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote:

No. I would have preferred to haul the bikes by bike. Safety
concerns over hauling an unladen trailer caused me to use the motor
vehicle.

I'm interested to learn what these safety concerns might be.

A numpty motorist, not paying proper attention, and ramming the
trailer.

A valid concern, as my friend could testify. He was riding a tandem on his
own, and had to stop due to traffic in front of him. The car behind rammed
him, thinking he was on a conventional length bike.

Cyclist v numpty car driver. Cyclist wins. spindrift UK 4 January 16th 08 04:21 PM
Hollywood bus driver attacks cyclist, LAPD handcuffs cyclist Matt O'Toole General 13 September 29th 07 07:50 PM
Cyclist on Cyclist violence leads to death of Portland man, 56 Paul Borg[_2_] General 2 September 6th 07 08:59 PM
Cyclist-pedestrian-cyclist Timo UK 39 December 5th 05 09:58 PM
Cyclist shot in B'ham - By another cyclist! John Mallard UK 8 May 8th 04 11:24 PM