World CarFree Day

Old September 14th 09, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

Default World CarFree Day

Doug wrote:

I know that here in the UK World Carfree day will pass virtually
unnoticed as usual, due no doubt to our national pathological
obsession with cars, but for those who might possibly be interested
here is some information.

"Every September 22, people from around the world get together in the
streets, intersections, and neighbourhood blocks to remind the world
that we don't have to accept our car-dominated society."

http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/
http://apps.facebook.com/causes/3344...791?m=6d54c0aa
http://www.facebook.com/worldcarfreeday

--
Car Free Cities
http://www.carfree.com/

certinaly should here, since this is not uk.rec.doughatescars but
uk.rec.cycling so cars are at least not supposed to be topics of
intrest.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 14th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On 12 Sep, 10:35, "Brimstone" wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
So I will be allowed to use the 5.9lt Dennis then?

Will you be ringing the bell?

That is extremely likely.

Have fun.

Update for London.
"LONDON NEIGHBOURHOODS WITHOUT CARS - WHY NOT? Green between the grey

What has this got to do with the preceeding posts Doug?

Old September 14th 09, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Roger Merriman wrote:
Doug wrote:

[...]

Just in case you haven't noticed, cars are Doug's all consuming passion. He
talks/posts about little else. It makes one wonder why he doesn't post in
uk.rec.driving.

Old September 14th 09, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark[_19_]

Tony Dragon wrote:
Brimstone wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
So I will be allowed to use the 5.9lt Dennis then?

Will you be ringing the bell?

That is extremely likely.

Have fun.

Update for London.
"LONDON NEIGHBOURHOODS WITHOUT CARS - WHY NOT? Green between the grey

How it will happen

1.5 million adults in London live without a car. Imagine how life
would improve if cars were removed from parts of the city, where
people could live free from traffic, where children could play round
their homes, like they always used to. Would you like to live in such
a neighbourhood, or even help to design it?

Does this sound unrealistic? Utopian? Did you know that some European
cities are already doing it?

* How does it work?
* How do people live without cars?
* Could it ever happen here?

london.carfree, supported by the organisations below, is organising
two public meetings to help answer these questions and to create a
London Carfree Association to start working to make this possible,
here in London...

...Whether you are looking for quiet streets to bring up your kids,
free from the danger of traffic, or whether you're simply not prepared
to have other people's vehicles choking up your road, london.carfree
will demonstrate to developers and authorities that there is huge
demand for building a complete new neighbourhood with parking and cars
away from people's front doors...

It's been tried. Unfortunately it does not work. The garage blocks
end up unused and inhabited by drug addicts. The owners find other
places to park their cars, like on the pavement.

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Old September 14th 09, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting Mark :
It's been tried. Unfortunately it does not work. The garage blocks
end up unused and inhabited by drug addicts. The owners find other
places to park their cars, like on the pavement.

Er, it does work in Vauban, in Germany. The trick is not letting cages
into the area _at all_.
--
David Damerell Oil is for sissies
Yesterday was Potmos, September.
Old September 14th 09, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Matt B

David Damerell wrote:
Quoting Mark :
It's been tried. Unfortunately it does not work. The garage blocks
end up unused and inhabited by drug addicts. The owners find other
places to park their cars, like on the pavement.

Er, it does work in Vauban, in Germany. The trick is not letting cages
into the area _at all_.

It's an illusion. They tried it in Poundbury too, and it turned out
that those who live there use cars more than those in the surrounding
area which /isn't/ car-free.

--
Matt B
Old September 14th 09, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Sep 14, 9:49*am, "Brimstone" wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
Doug wrote:

[...]

He got kicked off his ISP because of his activities on uk transport.

PeterG

London Carfree Doug[_3_] UK 4 September 5th 09 07:19 AM
New Carfree Blogosphere! Doug[_3_] UK 0 July 1st 09 12:57 PM
Carfree Sundays [email protected] Recumbent Biking 2 March 27th 07 12:46 AM
September 22 - World CarFree Day cfsmtb Australia 8 September 23rd 05 05:28 AM
Arrrr! It be Talk Like a CarFree Day! cfsmtb Australia 4 September 16th 05 12:06 AM