Disabled cycling at the Olympics but not on railway platforms wherewheelchairs are allowed.

Old September 13th 09, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Disabled cycling at the Olympics but not on railway platforms wherewheelchairs are allowed.

"...The track star, who is patron of Crank It Up, an organisation
which aims to promote cycling to people with disabilities, said: “I
was delighted to be at the Cornerstone Cycle Challenge launch..."

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk...7085-24573264/

"The future of cycling in the countryside – part 2
August 20th, 2009 | Author: gfmstudio

4. In drawing up RoWIPs highway authorities are required to pay
particular attention to the need for improved disabled access. In many
cases the opportunity to upgrade paths to facilitate disabled access
is being coupled with improved provision for cyclists. This is a very
positive development but the way the issues are being tackled varies
greatly: it is an opportunity being seized in some areas but ignored
in others."

http://www.blogcatalog.com/search.fr...1ab8dabcb1cad0

"Wheels for Wellbeing is a charity which supports disabled people to
cycle in London.

Whatever impairment, long term health condition or disability you
have, we can help with your cycle query. If you live locally, you may
be able to come to our cycling sessions."

http://www.wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk/

"The All Ability Cycling Group will seek to dispel that myth and
encourage more disabled people to take up cycling."

http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=233

"Cycling Exercises for Arthritis - Bicycling and Adaptive Cycling
Information on bicycling and cycling exercises for arthritis. Cycling,
both indoor and outdoor, may provide those with arthritis a good low
impact exercise option. Cycling as an exercise, can be either
freestanding or stationary. Cycling equipment can be adjusted and
adapted for many of the limitations imposed by arthritis."

http://arthritis.about.com/od/cyclin...ve_Cycling.htm

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old September 13th 09, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk.../renfrewshire-...

http://www.blogcatalog.com/search.fr...ed+cyclists&id....

http://arthritis.about.com/od/cyclin..._for_Arthritis...

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
One man's democracy is another man's regime.

Well thats ok then.

PeterG
Old September 13th 09, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
Nothing except a load of cut and paste.

Why are you so contemptuous of your own safety Doug?

Old September 13th 09, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Doug wrote:
"...The track star, who is patron of Crank It Up, an organisation
which aims to promote cycling to people with disabilities, said: “I
was delighted to be at the Cornerstone Cycle Challenge launch..."

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk...7085-24573264/

This is a nothing campaign really isn't it Doug?

I'm thinking of the stations that I use regularly, 4 of them are halt
style stations, with just a platform, there is nothing to stop me
cycling along these ( and I do one in the morning) apart from
consideration to other passengers. The others are "main" stations, here
there are staff to stop me, but I would even think about doing so
because the density of people and the movement of luggage, trolleys
etc... would make it irresponsible to do so. The difference between a
wheelchair and a bicycle is that at low speeds and in tight turns the
wheelchair is intrinsically stable whereas the bike is not.
You remind me of the people with blue badges who will fight and scrap to
get a space 3 metres closer to the front door of a supermarket because
"I'm disabled" and then perambulate up and down 10/15/20/30 aisles of a
30,000 SqFt space . Of what possible use would it be to you , more than
it is now, to be "allowed" to cycle on a railway platform?
Old September 13th 09, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterG

On Sep 13, 11:49*am, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Oh look, a resonable person, giving a resonable answer, who cares
about other people & who does not insist on something because it is
his 'right'

The question is, will Doug go silent or continue digging?

And Doug, do not post the usual comments :-
you do not care about the disabled
how about others who etc

PeterG
Old September 14th 09, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 13 Sep, 11:49, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Cyclists can lower the saddle and put a foot down for stability.

You remind me of the people with blue badges who will fight and scrap to
get a space 3 metres closer to the front door of a supermarket because
"I'm disabled" and then perambulate up and down 10/15/20/30 aisles of a
30,000 SqFt space . Of what possible use would it be to you , more than
it is now, to be "allowed" to cycle on a railway platform?

How many more times? Some people find it much easier and less painful
to cycle than to walk. Some railway platforms and concourses are very
long indeed and involve too much pain to walk along. Why do you wish
to discriminate against disabled cyclists?

Old September 14th 09, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On 13 Sep, 11:49, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Why should disabled people who try to use a bicycle be treated differently
to any other disabled person?

Old September 14th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Doug wrote:
On 13 Sep, 11:49, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
"...The track star, who is patron of Crank It Up, an organisation
which aims to promote cycling to people with disabilities, said: “I
was delighted to be at the Cornerstone Cycle Challenge launch..."
http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk.../renfrewshire-...

This is a nothing campaign really isn't it Doug?

You didn't answer the question!

I'm thinking of the stations that I use regularly, 4 of them are halt
style stations, with just a platform, there is nothing to stop me
cycling along these ( and I do one in the morning) apart from
consideration to other passengers. The others are "main" stations, here
there are staff to stop me, but I would even think about doing so
because the density of people and the movement of luggage, trolleys
etc... would make it irresponsible to do so. The difference between a
wheelchair and a bicycle is that at low speeds and in tight turns the
wheelchair is intrinsically stable whereas the bike is not.

Cyclists can lower the saddle and put a foot down for stability.

1)
They can, but then they can't move, a wheelchair is stable moving or
stationary.

The majority of POBs that I see on BSO at stations would bother the do
that , YMMV.

You remind me of the people with blue badges who will fight and scrap to
get a space 3 metres closer to the front door of a supermarket because
"I'm disabled" and then perambulate up and down 10/15/20/30 aisles of a
30,000 SqFt space . Of what possible use would it be to you , more than
it is now, to be "allowed" to cycle on a railway platform?

How many more times? Some people find it much easier and less painful
to cycle than to walk.

Some people find it easier and less painful to be carried along in a
litter by 8 eneuchs , whilst being fed peeled grapes by naked women, are
you suggesting the the rest of the passengers are forced to make way for
them as well as you? Becuase that is exactly what you are saying, that
YOU consider yourself disabled ( which the DDA allows you to do) and you
want the rest of the passengers and the rail companies to allow YOU to
do what YOU want at their risk. The DDA puts a duty on business's to
make "reasonable" accomadation to disabled customers, your demand is not
reasonable.
Some railway platforms and concourses are very
long indeed

Almost as long as the train, will you want to cycle along that as well?

and involve too much pain to walk along.
So do many pedestrianised hight streets, or shopping centres or even
supermarkets, do you want to cycle through those as well? As I said
"This is a nothing campaign really isn't it Doug"? You haven't thought
it through and this is just a kneejerk reaction against something that
you can't do.

Why do you wish
to discriminate against disabled cyclists?

I'm not discriminating , I'm weighing the safety and needs of the vast
majority against the very miniscule minority that may be affected,
including the disabled. I certainly woudn't want to be on crutches( or
using my stick when I have gout) in a crowd of people trying to make way
for a cyclist, and I doubt you will find much support amongst any
disabled groups. In fact why don't you make a complaint under the DDA
and let us all know how you got on?
Old September 15th 09, 07:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 14 Sep, 15:00, "Brimstone" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 13 Sep, 11:49, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

So you agree? Does it matter which sort of humanly propelled wheeled
mobility aid they choose to use as long as they are genuinely
suffering from a disability? Why should disabled cyclists be
discriminated against on railway platforms, railway concourses,
pedestrian shopping areas and pavements?

Old September 15th 09, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On 13 Sep, 11:49, Marc wrote:
Doug wrote:
[...]

Because bicycles are unstable *and a danger to other people* Doug.