Beefing up bus lanes.

Old October 22nd 10, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Beefing up bus lanes.

Good idea from Bath where a bus lane restriction is regularly ignored by
motorists as they are in our city. Bus lane signs are to be replaced with a
red circled "no motor vehicles" sign. Apparently, the present signs that
show buses/cycles only are "confusing" to drivers, so the Evel Knievel sign
is being wheeled out.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Bus...l/article.html

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old October 22nd 10, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah[_2_]

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Bus...-weekend/artic...

--
Simon Masonhttp://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

I think we'll find that changing the signs will be un-necessary. Now
that the mass switch-off of speed cameras is taking place, the little
darlings (sorry, warred-upon motorists) will now sit up and take
notice of all the things to which their obsession with looking or
speed cameras has blinded them. Things like, er, pedestrians, road
signs, and maybe even cyclists. But won't hold my breath.

Old October 23rd 10, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Iain[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:
Good idea from Bath where a bus lane restriction is regularly ignored
by motorists as they are in our city. Bus lane signs are to be
replaced with a red circled "no motor vehicles" sign. Apparently, the
present signs that show buses/cycles only are "confusing" to drivers,
so the Evel Knievel sign is being wheeled out.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Bus...l/article.html

I wonder if this is an 'area' thing. From what I have seen in London, the
adherance level is quite good. Maybe it's the threat of cameras in buses
that might put them off. I can't read what the middle sign says, but the
top (main) and bottom ones are clear enough. And here you will see a
majority of motorist not driving in bus lanes even when they are allowed.
As lanes, they are quite clearly marked and are more frequently than not
avoided.

--
Iain

Old October 23rd 10, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JMS

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010 19:44:51 +0100, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

Good idea from Bath where a bus lane restriction is regularly ignored by
motorists as they are in our city. Bus lane signs are to be replaced with a
red circled "no motor vehicles" sign. Apparently, the present signs that
show buses/cycles only are "confusing" to drivers, so the Evel Knievel sign
is being wheeled out.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Bus...l/article.html

That is an appalling sign (blow the picture up and look at it)

That is not a bus lane - it is a separate carriage way.

The decision to make "red circled no motor vehicles" looks well
overdue.
--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Old October 23rd 10, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , JMS
writes
wrote:

Good idea from Bath where a bus lane restriction is regularly ignored by
motorists as they are in our city. Bus lane signs are to be replaced with a
red circled "no motor vehicles" sign. Apparently, the present signs that
show buses/cycles only are "confusing" to drivers, so the Evel Knievel sign
is being wheeled out.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/news/Bus...eekend/article
2790026-detail/article.html

That is an appalling sign (blow the picture up and look at it)

That is not a bus lane - it is a separate carriage way.

The decision to make "red circled no motor vehicles" looks well
overdue.
--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.
(Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20 mph limits - and thinks it's clever)

In Newcastle upon Tyne, they are marked 'No Car Lane'. That allows buses
and taxis (I think!).
--
Ian
Old October 23rd 10, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Simon Mason

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In Newcastle upon Tyne, they are marked 'No Car Lane'. That allows buses
and taxis (I think!).
--
Ian

Ours are labelled buses/cycles only and are full of cars during their hours
of operation, which means I have to cycle in the overtaking lane to pass
them all, which is the exact opposite of their intention. I actually cycled
past a learner driver in a school car the other day and did a double take as
it was in the bus lane as well! Teaching drivers to break the law before
they've even passed the test.

Brilliant.

Old October 24th 10, 02:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Nkosi \(Ama Exosse\)

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In Newcastle upon Tyne, they are marked 'No Car Lane'. That allows buses
and taxis (I think!).
--
Ian

Ours are labelled buses/cycles only and are full of cars during their
hours of operation, which means I have to cycle in the overtaking lane to
pass them all, which is the exact opposite of their intention. I actually
cycled past a learner driver in a school car the other day and did a
double take as it was in the bus lane as well! Teaching drivers to break
the law before they've even passed the test.

Brilliant.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Bus lanes are an abortion and should be banned immediately

Nkosi

Old October 24th 10, 07:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mr. Benn[_7_]

"Nkosi (Ama Exosse)" wrote in message
news

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
. uk...

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In Newcastle upon Tyne, they are marked 'No Car Lane'. That allows buses
and taxis (I think!).
--
Ian

Ours are labelled buses/cycles only and are full of cars during their
hours of operation, which means I have to cycle in the overtaking lane to
pass them all, which is the exact opposite of their intention. I actually
cycled past a learner driver in a school car the other day and did a
double take as it was in the bus lane as well! Teaching drivers to break
the law before they've even passed the test.

Brilliant.

Bus lanes are an abortion and should be banned immediately

The ones around here are empty most of the time and when you do see a bus in
one, the bus is nearly empty.

Old October 24th 10, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
The Medway Handyman[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:
"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In Newcastle upon Tyne, they are marked 'No Car Lane'. That allows
buses and taxis (I think!).
--
Ian

Ours are labelled buses/cycles only and are full of cars during their
hours of operation, which means I have to cycle in the overtaking
lane to pass them all, which is the exact opposite of their
intention. I actually cycled past a learner driver in a school car
the other day and did a double take as it was in the bus lane as
well! Teaching drivers to break the law before they've even passed
the test.
Brilliant.

Teaching drivers to ignore the 'special needs' of road lice.

Brilliant!

--
Dave - intelligent enough to realise that a push bike, like a skateboard, is
a kid's toy, not a viable form of transport.