Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Saturday 23 Feb 2013 in Cambridge

Old January 24th 13, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Bicycle Wheel Building Workshop - Saturday 23 Feb 2013 in Cambridge

This is a practical workshop where you learn how to assemble, true and optimise bicycle wheels using proven techniques based on sound principles. I concentrate on teaching you how to build strong and durable wheels of ’standard’ (eg. cross-3) pattern. Radial, mixed and other exotic lacing patterns are not demonstrated, but the skills you learn provide the best foundation for attempting them later if you wish.

Whether you simply want to replace an occasional broken spoke, true existing wheels or hand build a complete wheel, this workshop gives you the knowledge, skills and confidence you need in a controlled environment. I restrict class size to ensure a high teacher-student ratio.

Details
------
Date: Sat 23/2/13
Time: 10am-5pm
Location: Queen Edith Community Primary School, Godwin Way,
Cambridge, CB1 8QP
Cost: £85

You can download the current Information Sheet he http://www.davidwgreen.talktalk.net/..._1day_info.pdf

Enrolment details and questions
Please email davidwgreenatoneteldotcom

Date: Sat 23/2/13
Time: 10am-5pm
Location: Queen Edith Community Primary School, Godwin Way,
Cambridge, CB1 8QP
Cost: £85

You can download the current Information Sheet he
http://www.davidwgreen.talktalk.net/..._1day_info.pdf

Enrolment details and questions
Please email davidwgreenatoneteldotcom

Why don't you just buy the wheels ready-made?

I cannot see what the point of building your own wheels is. For £85, you
could buy several of them.

Date: Sat 23/2/13
Time: 10am-5pm
Location: Queen Edith Community Primary School, Godwin Way,
Cambridge, CB1 8QP
Cost: £85

You can download the current Information Sheet he
http://www.davidwgreen.talktalk.net/..._1day_info.pdf

Enrolment details and questions
Please email davidwgreenatoneteldotcom

Why don't you just buy the wheels ready-made?

I cannot see what the point of building your own wheels is. For £85,
you could buy several of them.

I would guess that it’s an enthusiast thing.

A bit like cars, my bro-in-law spends hours tinkering with his medley of
collectable cars. I just take mine to the garage and ask them to fix it.

Date: Sat 23/2/13
Time: 10am-5pm
Location: Queen Edith Community Primary School, Godwin Way,
Cambridge, CB1 8QP
Cost: £85

You can download the current Information Sheet he
http://www.davidwgreen.talktalk.net/..._1day_info.pdf

Enrolment details and questions
Please email davidwgreenatoneteldotcom

Why don't you just buy the wheels ready-made?

I cannot see what the point of building your own wheels is. For £85,
you could buy several of them.

I would guess that it’s an enthusiast thing.

A bit like cars, my bro-in-law spends hours tinkering with his medley of
collectable cars. I just take mine to the garage and ask them to fix it.

Ah, I see.

So do I, see why some people would be interested in taking this
course, I mean. Even so, it lasts 7 hours and costs £85 and I can't
believe anyone would want to take it if they "simply want to replace
an occasional broken spoke".

Then again, I haven't a clue how to replace a broken spoke so I
suppose I shouldn't discourage others from learning how to - may need
their help one day.

Date: Sat 23/2/13
Time: 10am-5pm
[...]

It's sounds like an incredibly boring workshop.

Old January 24th 13, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"John Benn" wrote in message

Then again, I haven't a clue how to replace a broken spoke so I
suppose I shouldn't discourage others from learning how to - may need
their help one day.

It's sounds like an incredibly boring workshop.

A whole day in a room full of "cycling enthusiasts" who enjoy tinkering with
bikes?

Christ, that's on a par with being locked in a shed for a week with Jedward
and norovirus.

Old January 25th 13, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 24/01/2013 17:17, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

"John Benn" wrote in message

Then again, I haven't a clue how to replace a broken spoke so I
suppose I shouldn't discourage others from learning how to - may need
their help one day.

It's sounds like an incredibly boring workshop.

A whole day in a room full of "cycling enthusiasts" who enjoy tinkering
with bikes?

Christ, that's on a par with being locked in a shed for a week with
Jedward and norovirus.

There there. Craft and skill may be too uncool for you, but there's
plenty of us about who enjoy that sort of thing.

Date: * * * *Sat 23/2/13
Time: * * * *10am-5pm
Location: * *Queen Edith Community Primary School, Godwin Way,
* * * * * * Cambridge, CB1 8QP
Cost: * * * *£85

You can download the current Information Sheet he
http://www.davidwgreen.talktalk.net/..._1day_info.pdf

Enrolment details and questions
Please email davidwgreenatoneteldotcom

Why don't you just buy the wheels ready-made?

I cannot see what the point of building your own wheels is. *For £85, you
could buy several of them.

Which would be only as good as you paid for, and you would gain no
knowledge or experience in how to repair them if (when?) you ever
needed to.
Knowing how to build a wheel properly means you also know how to
repair one, whether that be due to a failure out on the road (or on
tour), or simply to replace rim, hub, or spokes as the need becomes
apparent during normal maintenance.

I strung a pair of light weight sew ups [ ~ 1 kg /wheel] and was so
confident of my abilities I tested them out by going down to the
Roanoke River hitting RR tracks a 60 km/hr.

Without a helmet.

I still use the wheels when, in a pinch, I need a spare.

Bret Cahill

Old January 25th 13, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 24 Jan 2013 09:09:34 -0000, John Benn wrote:

Why don't you just buy the wheels ready-made?

Because you get better wheels building them yourself.

I cannot see what the point of building your own wheels is. For
£85, you could buy several of them.

Hand-built wheels are significantly better than machine built wheels.
You can't buy several hand-built wheels for a labour charge of
85 pounds.

Wheel-building is quite pleasant as an activity.

There's a moderate sense of accomplishment.

Why dpoes anyone do any hobby or craft activity? Why does anyone
build model aeroplanes when they could buy a RTF? Why does my mother
embroider cushion covers when she could just buy some?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|