I am that out of date

Old April 18th 21, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 16:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other
than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't
burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some
metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes
are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal
might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

All metals burn - some more quickly than others. Grind any metal bike
component into a fine enough power and add sufficient heat and Oxygen and
it’ll burn.

Old April 18th 21, 03:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/18/2021 2:09 AM, Tosspot wrote:
On 17/04/2021 17:53, Ralph Barone wrote:

Don’t forget the chromed steel rims. Nobody appears to be lamenting the
demise of chromed steel rims.

In the ****ed up world of retro bikes I have seen a few at work with
chromed steel rims.Â* Now those don't get ridden in the rain or I
wouldn't be seeing them!

Imho, the two biggest advancements to modern cycling, the alloy rim and
bike lights.Â* Hand up who remembers cycling home in the dark on a rainy
night?Â* NiCads suck.

Pre_NiCad there were decent lights (in terms of illumination) using SLA
(Sealed Lead Acid) batteries. Yes those were heavy batteries but for a
fairly level commute they were fine. I had a home-built system on my
commuter bike using two 14 watt/12 volt sealed beams:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1npvEt_RzvIu_vbsOuSzN6BIrhy0BWTU5/.

There were some HID bicycle lights, briefly, before LED technology
advanced to a usable level, but they were very expensive and not widely
used.

The big advancement in lighting is that you can now buy a decent bicycle
light for as little as $40, complete with a rechargeable battery.
Old April 18th 21, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

Well, that depends. If you're talking about components of reasonable
thickness, some magnesium alloys can burn under certain circumstances,
while others are more resistant.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b9EItpV4Srzeyj

Original Volkswagens had magnesium alloy crankcases, and nobody worries
excessively about them catching fire.

OTOH, a strip of pure magnesium foil is really easy to burn, and it
burns very brightly indeed. Same is true of chips, I've heard.

BTW, titanium chips can also burn and are very hard to extinguish. A
machinist I knew once had that experience. But it's not a huge hazard in
my limited experience. We had a student team who, for their first lathe
project, mistakenly grabbed a 2" bar of titanium instead of mild steel.
While they were having a hell of a time trying to turn it, they did
generate some chips but no fire.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 18th 21, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other
than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't
burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some
metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes
are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal
might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

All metals burn - some more quickly than others. Grind any metal bike
component into a fine enough power and add sufficient heat and Oxygen and
it’ll burn.

True. Burning is just rapid oxidation. However, I would have a
problem with presenting slow rusting of iron as burning. What
distinguishes burning from rusting is that burning produces
considerable light and is often exothermic producing additional heat
which sustains the oxidation reaction. The reaction also occurs
rapidly. Grinding a metal bicycle into dust increases the surface
area of the metal available for oxidation. That makes the metal
oxidize more rapidly, eventually resulting in something that resembles
a bright flash or burning.

Fun with magnesium:
"The Hazards of Polishing Magnesium can cause Fires"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWoVo-aQ2tg
Note that magnesium valve cover is not burning, only the finely
divided powder is burning. That means you can have a nice shinny
magnesium bicycle frame, if you give burning shavings as offerings to
the gods.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old April 18th 21, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 11:52:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...b9EItpV4Srzeyj

Minor off topic trivia. This is the same as the above URL with all
the Google search and tracking junk removed:
https://www.nanomag.us/pdfs/nanoMAG_FAA_Flamability_test_AR11-13.pdf
I use a Firefox browser plug in to automagically remove all the
tracking info:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clearurls/
There are other plugins that do the same thing generally found under
"clean urls" description.

Old April 18th 21, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/17/2021 6:10 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 07:22:20 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Saturday, April 17, 2021 at 5:42:17 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/16/2021 6:17 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip
Not good enough. Soon, the 22 speed corn cob will become the de facto
standard for excellence in cycling overkill.
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/#Corn%2520Cobb%2520Freewheel.jpg
To make a reasonably straight chain line with 22 gears, just stack up
two identical triple gear chain rings that cover 2 or 3 adjacent gears
on the freewheel. Shifting both front and rear derailleurs
simultaneously might require contortionist or a computer, but those
are easy enough to find. It might also be rather difficult to ride,
but that's easily forgiven by owner in trade for the cool looking
photo opportunities. Patents pending.

Soon everyone will be riding on 22 speed freewheels and cassettes.
This is really impractical in terms of wheel building.

I like the wide-range 12 speed cassettes but that's about the limit.

On my touring bike I paired a Garbaruk 12 cog 10-52 Cassette
https://www.garbaruk.com/12-speed-xd.html with an SRAM DD3 dual drive
hub https://lunacycle.com/sram-dd3-igh-3-speed-hub-with-shifter/ and
added a Mountain Tamer Quad 4th chainring
http://abundantadventures.com/quads.html#MOUNTAIN_TAMER_QUADTM_49.95,
then added a Schlumpf Mountain Drive
http://www.schlumpfdrive.com/index.php/mountain-drive.html.

It's nice having a selection of 288 different gear combinations though
because of overlap it's really only 123 actual different gear ratios.

The range between the lowest gear and the highest gear is amazing. The
lowest gear is so low that even at a cadence of 240 rpm you're not going
fast enough to stay upright. The highest gear is so high that it's only
usable when going downhill on grades of 12% or more at speeds of 80 mph
or greater.

It's kind of a pain dealing with four separate gear shifters but there
are some after-market wireless electronic shifters that I may add and
control them with a smart phone app. Then I'll put the bike up for sale
on eBay and when no one is willing to pay what I spent on these
improvements I'll complain about it here.

I was disappointed to learn that there is no 14 speed Rohloff SPEEDHUB
that can accept a cassette so my dream of 1,344 gear combinations was
thwarted.

Well at least we the comedic fools that love to post about things they know so little about. Except Jay, who feels the need to tout "modern" construction and components to use of them because he got them at cut rate prices through his son.

"Well at least we the comedic fools that love to post about things
they know so little about."???

Well you misspelled "comic" but otherwise you seem to be describing
yourself.

I think he meant 'comedic'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 18th 21, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other
than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't
burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some
metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes
are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal
might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

All metals burn - some more quickly than others. Grind any metal bike
component into a fine enough power and add sufficient heat and Oxygen and
it’ll burn.

mmmmm. interesting. Most bicycles have a nice mix of steel
and aluminum...

https://tinyurl.com/n4hxesdy

Old April 19th 21, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

Now I am aware of them new fangled high tech bamboo bikes, but other
than that, I don't think bicycles will be too flammable. Metal doesn't
burn too well. Although I think I have seen some YouTube videos of some
metal that does catch fire and burn really hot. But I don't think bikes
are made out of that special metal. I'm guessing that special metal
might also cost a whole lot. And $100k bikes won't sell too well.

Sounds like a magnesium bicycle frame:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magnesium+bicycle+frame&tbm=isch
Magnesium burns VERY well.

All metals burn - some more quickly than others. Grind any metal bike
component into a fine enough power and add sufficient heat and Oxygen and
it’ll burn.

mmmmm. interesting. Most bicycles have a nice mix of steel
and aluminum...

https://tinyurl.com/n4hxesdy

Bike? What bike? I’ve just got this block of slag here.

Old April 20th 21, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Seems to me the weight difference should have tipped him off that he had the wrong stuff
Old April 20th 21, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

No kidding --- and imagine the difference in lab fees. Dang. The scrap heap at my metals class didn't include Ti. You had to bring that from home.

-- Jay Beattie.

What date is it? lardyninja UK 5 April 3rd 09 06:46 PM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:21 AM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:16 AM
need a date look here Donald Munro Racing 0 May 27th 06 11:15 AM
Perfect date Claire Petersky General 19 April 15th 05 03:55 PM