Misunderstandings

Old April 18th 21, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Misunderstandings

I had the idea that it was the handling and steering of the Eddy Merckx Elite that was causing the bike to be extremely sensitive in the directional stability. Yesterday on a ride I noticed that the bike was as directionally atable as most racing bikes.

What had changed was that my Mavic Pro4 ties had worn the factory polish off of their surface and now has better traction, This causes the bike to hold course a great deal better than what it was doing.

So that effect was not from the stability in the design of the Eddy but from new tires needing to be worn in a little.
Old April 19th 21, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 9:52:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I had the idea that it was the handling and steering of the Eddy Merckx Elite that was causing the bike to be extremely sensitive in the directional stability. Yesterday on a ride I noticed that the bike was as directionally atable as most racing bikes.

What had changed was that my Mavic Pro4 ties had worn the factory polish off of their surface and now has better traction, This causes the bike to hold course a great deal better than what it was doing.

So that effect was not from the stability in the design of the Eddy but from new tires needing to be worn in a little.

Do you mean mold release? I don't think Michelin is polishing its tires. On dry pavement, I've never had an issue with mold release -- at least on the rough roads around here. Maybe you just got used to the handling on that bike. Glad to hear you finished the Elite. What is the final build?

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 19th 21, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, April 18, 2021 at 6:23:16 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

No, that is pretty much cleaned off. The super-smooth finish of the tire which doesn't actually have good traction until it wears in a little. Yesterday I did a 5 mile claim followed by a 7 mile descent and there was no problem whatsoever now that the tires have lost that smooth finish. When I first started with those Pro4's that bike was following every change in camber on the road.
Old April 24th 21, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Never noticed even on wet smooth roads, any difference with new tires, or
off road for that matter, ie riding off camber on wet roots and what not.

Roger Merriman.

Old April 25th 21, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 7:30:07 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm waiting for a seatpost to finish the assembling of my Douglas. I like this so much I just bought another and I will sell off my Lemond Zurich with the Di2 on it rather than taking the group off and converting the Lemond to Campy 10.
Old April 25th 21, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

While trying to get my Douglas assembled today, the 28 mm tire simply would NOT clear the Campy Skeleton brakes. I had a 25 mm tire and installed it on the same wheel and it worked perfectly. So I will ride the 25 in the front and the 28 on the rear wheel. Since these are new unused tires I'll see it they have the same effect. Though they no doubt have completely different geometry so the real test will be to put new tires on the Eddy.
Old April 25th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I don’t think I could cope with the fixing/selling I have 3 bikes only one
is “new” which is my Norco Gravel bike, 2018 it has admittedly had a new
group set as for my uses cable disks just didn’t cut it!

The MTB which is my Sunday best, is 8 years old, and I have a fairly dated
even older MTB that is my commute beastie.

Most of my leisure rides are on the Gravel as I can link in lots of stuff
from home, the MTB few times a month as it does generally need a traveling
to somewhere, so that’s a level of hassle etc.

Roger Merriman

Old April 26th 21, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Well, at the moment my intentions are to end up with three bikes and only three bikes and that will be the end of working on bikes other than repairs. I will attempt to put convert everything over to Campy 10 speed. I will get rid of the FSA cranks, one left standing on the side of the road is more than enough. I just purchased a Campy Centaur carbon crank. The trouble is that I cannot find any reference to the bearing size. I finally found a reference and they use standard Campy bearings.