B-sign (Not V-Sign) - The bikers blessing

Old January 16th 08, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox[_2_]

Default B-sign (Not V-Sign) - The bikers blessing

As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I espied a doughty
cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and, being an egg of the good sort,
slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and waited until the road ahead was clear to
overtake leaving lots of room. In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a
bike.

Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes forever' secret sign...

....Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for those moments when
cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car at the time[1])

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to make an O and hold
the other fingers up straight - together these make a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind
you. Do the same thing with your right hand for somebody approaching.

So - as the super-fit, eel-sleek nemesis of lesser riders; you may overtake them, briefly
smile at them through teeth clamped in concentration, and give a quick b-sign to
acknowledge the brotherhood of bicyclists.

[1] Or bus. Hats off to the drivers of Chamber's buses in Colchester. their
consideration for cyclists and the daft things they can get up to should be an example to
all vehicles.

--
Peter Fox
Beer, dancing, cycling and lots more at www.eminent.demon.co.uk

Old January 16th 08, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Peter Fox wrote:
As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I
espied a doughty cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and,
being an egg of the good sort, slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and
waited until the road ahead was clear to overtake leaving lots of room.
In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a bike.

Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes
forever' secret sign...

...Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for
those moments when cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car
at the time[1])

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make a
'b'.

Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?
Old January 16th 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Jan 16, 9:15 am, marc wrote:
Peter Fox wrote:
As I was wrestling with the controls of my automobile the other day I
espied a doughty cyclist plodding his very best against the grade and,
being an egg of the good sort, slowed, kept back, relaxed and waited and
waited until the road ahead was clear to overtake leaving lots of room.
In return I received a friendly gesture from the bod on a bike.

Wouldn't it have been nice if I could have waved back with a 'bikes
forever' secret sign...

...Well now /you too/ can enjoy the 'Biker's Blessing' or 'b-sign' for
those moments when cyclist recognises cyclist (even if they're in a car
at the time[1])

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make a
'b'.

Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?

Try it. It is easily confused with a sign indicating that you believe
the other person to be an onanist.

The alternative sign is the 'microwave' where you keep the fist
clenched but just waggle the little finger.

...d
Old January 16th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to David Martin
Errr that's the OK sign used by divers?

Try it. It is easily confused with a sign indicating that you believe
the other person to be an onanist.

The alternative sign is the 'microwave' where you keep the fist
clenched but just waggle the little finger.

There's a handy video demonstrating its proper use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2nvAFOk7x0

--
Mark, UK
"On the issue of evolution, the verdict is still out on how God created
Old January 19th 08, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sue White

Peter Fox whizzed past me shouting

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make
a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind you. Do the same thing with your
right hand for somebody approaching.

I'd rather the OP kept at least one hand on his steering wheel!

--
Sue ];(

Why aren't we demanding regular retests for motor drivers?
It's obvious a lot of them would fail so that'd solve the congestion problem too.
Old January 20th 08, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Sue White wrote:

Peter Fox whizzed past me shouting

With your left hand put the tips of thumb and first finger together to
make an O and hold the other fingers up straight - together these make
a 'b'. Wave this at somebody behind you. Do the same thing with your
right hand for somebody approaching.

I'd rather the OP kept at least one hand on his steering wheel!

I don't think the OP is suggesting doing the two signs simultaneously.
;-)

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk

Cool sign! onelesscar Unicycling 8 September 11th 06 08:20 AM
I need a sign Dane Jackson General 43 July 12th 05 10:14 PM
a good sign small change Mountain Biking 9 May 14th 05 03:51 PM
SIgn of the Seasons Scott General 12 October 7th 04 07:57 PM
A New Sign Mike Causer UK 19 February 19th 04 10:15 PM