on Bush and his crashes

Old October 15th 04, 02:28 AM

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:37:58 -0700, Benjamin Lewis

The preferred method of murder by anthrax, however, is to introduce lots
of the spores into a cut or even inject them. For an example, see "Some
Buried Caesar," the 1939 Nero Wolfe mystery in which Archie Goodwin first
meets Lily Rowan. Rex Stout was fond of poisons, so there are also
mysteries in which tetanus is used. Alas, no Nero Wolfe mysteries that I
remember feature bicycles, possibly because Wolfe's lazy obesity keeps
him house-bound and possibly because bicycle messengers became popular in
New York City only after Stout's era.

I also can't imagine the more mobile Archie on a bicycle by choice,
although he would regularly walk 30 blocks; it just doesn't seem like his
style.

Possibly Fritz?

Dear Benjamin,

Curse you, now I have to re-read a lot of mysteries whose
plots I never follow!

(I read them only for the constant battle between Archie and
Nero, who could give lessons in obnoxiousness to even the
most hardened rec.bicycles.tech posters.)

Somewhere in the jumble-heap of why "The Two Noble Kinsmen"
was not written by Shakespeare (look at the opening scene!)
and the differences between the orginal and the Disney
editions of "The Sword in the Stone" (cuts in White's
allusions to Elizabethan drama)--somewhere in there is a
faint memory of Fritz Brenner riding a bicycle.

There are only fifty or so Nero Wolfe novels and books, so
it shouldn't take more than a few days to skim them all.

Sullenly,

Carl Fogel
Old October 15th 04, 08:11 AM
Benjamin Lewis

wrote:

[...]

I'm reasonable certain there is no mention of any of the primary characters
riding a bicycle in the entire corpus, and I suspect the same is true of
even the minor characters. I'm convinced enough that I will forgo skimming
the collection beneath my bedside table. However, a utility bicycle is not
inconsistent with my image of Fritz.

Also worth reading for the Cramer/Wolfe battles ...

--
Benjamin Lewis

A small, but vocal, contingent even argues that tin is superior, but they
are held by most to be the lunatic fringe of Foil Deflector Beanie science.

Old October 17th 04, 12:40 AM
Tim McNamara

Mark Hickey writes:

The Palestinians are a great example of "the problem" - they're told
by their government from early childhood that the Jews and the US
are the root of all their problems, and that they MUST hate Israelis
(and Americans).

Not quite. The "problem" is the continual Israeli violation of
international law- and their own laws vis a vis Palestine. It's very
clear from the actions of the Israeli government that they do not want
a solution to the "problem" since they are the root of the problem.

Old October 17th 04, 11:01 PM

Broad Use of Harsh Tactics Is Described at Cuba Base
By NEIL A. LEWIS

Published: October 17, 2004

WASHINGTON, Oct. 16 - Many detainees at Guantanamo Bay were regularly
subjected to harsh and coercive treatment, several people who worked
in the prison said in recent interviews, despite longstanding
assertions by military officials that such treatment had not occurred
except in some isolated cases.

The people, military guards, intelligence agents and others, described
in interviews with The New York Times a range of procedures that
included treatment they said was highly abusive occurring over a long
period of time, as well as rewards for prisoners who cooperated with
interrogators.

One regular procedure that was described by people who worked at Camp
Delta, the main prison facility at the naval base in Cuba, was making
uncooperative prisoners strip to their underwear, having them sit in a
chair while shackled hand and foot to a bolt in the floor, and forcing
them to endure strobe lights and screamingly loud rock and rap music
played through two close loudspeakers, while the air-conditioning was
turned up to maximum levels, said one military official who witnessed
the procedure. The official said that was intended to make the
detainees uncomfortable, as they were accustomed to high temperatures
both in their native countries and their cells.

Such sessions could last up to 14 hours with breaks, said the
official, who described the treatment after being contacted by The
Times.

"It fried them," the official said, who said that anger over the
treatment the prisoners endured was the reason for speaking with a
reporter. Another person familiar with the procedure who was contacted
by The Times said: "They were very wobbly. They came back to their
cells and were just completely out of it."

The new information comes from a number of people, some of whom
witnessed or participated in the techniques and others who were in a
position to know the details of the operation and corroborate their
accounts.

Those who spoke of the interrogation practices at the naval base did
so under the condition that their identities not be revealed. While
some said it was because they remained on active duty, they all said
that being publicly identified would endanger their futures. Although
some former prisoners have said they saw and experienced mistreatment
at Guantanamo, this is the first time that people who worked there
have provided detailed accounts of some interrogation procedures.

One intelligence official said most of the intense interrogation was
focused on a group of detainees known as the "Dirty 30" and believed
to be the best potential sources of information.

In August, a report commissioned by Defense Secretary Donald
H. Rumsfeld found that tough techniques approved by the government
were rarely used, but the sources described a broader pattern that
went beyond even the aggressive techniques that were permissible.

The issue of what were permissible interrogation techniques has
produced a vigorous debate within the government that burst into the
open with reports of abuses at Abu Ghraib prison in Baghdad and is now
the subject of several investigations.

Since the Sept. 11 attacks and the war in Afghanistan, the
administration has wrestled with the issue of what techniques are
permissible, with many arguing that the campaign against terrorism
should entitle them to greater leeway. Alberto R. Gonzales, the White
House counsel said, for example, in one memorandum that the Geneva
Conventions were "quaint" and not suitable for the war against
terrorism.

-------------------------

David Sheffer, a senior State Department human rights official in the
Clinton administration who teaches law at George Washington
University, said the procedure of shackling prisoners to the floor in
a state of undress while playing loud music - the Guantanamo sources
said it included the bands Limp Bizkit and Rage Against the Machine,
and the rapper Eminem - and lights clearly constituted torture. "I
don't think there's any question that treatment of that character
satisfies the severe pain and suffering requirement, be it physical or
mental, that is provided for in the Convention Against Torture,"
Mr. Sheffer said.

-------------------------

Jobst Brandt

Old October 18th 04, 04:17 AM
Tom Sherman

Mark Hickey wrote:

Bottom line - some people just overreact. Last night as I was leaving
the Bank One Ballpark rally (cool event, but they didn't seem to be
expecting 35,000 people)... as we were leaving, the police (for some
unknown reason) slid one of the gates shut. This temporarily boxed in
a good number of people, most of whom didn't really appreciate it.
After a few moments, they re-opened the gate. We walked out beside a
couple young (college-age) guys - one of them was visibly shaken, and
was talking about how that was his "worst nightmare"... that it was
just like Nazi Germany and the brownshirts.

Two things to keep in mind - they were probably Republicans (so they
should know better), and I just invoked Godwin's law. Thread over.

No, you did not meet the criteria from invoking Godwin's Law. Try to get
something right once in a while.

--
Tom Sherman