Discovery team finished

Old August 10th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default Discovery team finished

wrote:
I was not surprised after Discovery's problems with Basso. This just
goes to show much the doping problem has hurt the sport. This also why
we need a first offense lifetime ban.

The other thing to remember is that teams come and go and Discovery
has been around for awhile.

I am interested to see how the Trek stores are affected. I am not
convinced that a single brand store of that size has enough brand
equity to survive.

-------------
They've completely changed their
strategy from "Lance" to innovation.
Trek employees are instructed not to
mention Lance's name. Their marketing
strategy is that we make the cutting
edge bikes, etc, no talk of yesterday,
and of Lance.

Old August 10th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
billb

On Aug 10, 3:32 pm, " wrote:
I was not surprised after Discovery's problems with Basso. This just
goes to show much the doping problem has hurt the sport. This also why
we need a first offense lifetime ban.

The other thing to remember is that teams come and go and Discovery
has been around for awhile.

I am interested to see how the Trek stores are affected. I am not
convinced that a single brand store of that size has enough brand
equity to survive.

Being a fringe sport is the problem -- folks whine about drugs in
baseball and football not resulting in the same public outrage. True,
but more people in the US care about those sports and cycling is
easily dismissed/ignored by most of the US public even without drugs
which have increased their awareness of cycling and certainly their
disdain for cycling.
Best,
Bill Black

Old August 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am interested to see how the Trek stores are affected. I am not
convinced that a single brand store of that size has enough brand
equity to survive.

We were a single-line, Trek-only store long before either Discovery or US
Postal came along, and did just fine. I don't think it's going to be too
much of a blip on the radar, plus the team sucked up one heck of a lot of
$$$ that might be available for marketing.

And by the way, we're not a Trek "concept" store. It just happens to be the
only family of bikes we sell, for many reasons.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old August 10th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:32:55 -0700, "
wrote:

I was not surprised after Discovery's problems with Basso. This just
goes to show much the doping problem has hurt the sport.

Yeah, just like doping killed Fassa Bortolo, Novemail/Panasonic. Even
Motorola.

--
JT
****************************
Old August 11th 07, 08:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Martin

in 552646 20070811 074017 Michael Press wrote:
In article
,
Bob Schwartz
I was not surprised after Discovery's problems with Basso. This just
goes to show much the doping problem has hurt the sport. This also why
we need a first offense lifetime ban.

Pussy. I'm supporting the death penalty.

Stoning.

Thought they were stoned already?
Old August 11th 07, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 10, 2:49 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
I am interested to see how the Trek stores are affected. I am not
convinced that a single brand store of that size has enough brand
equity to survive.

I suppose one reason for being a Trek only store is because Trek
demands that it's dealers product line consist of 70% Trek products. I
guess they want to like the old Schwinn shops. The other thing to
remember is that bicycle brands have their ups and downs.

If you are a smaller to midsize shop this less of a concern But
dealers have invested a huge amount of capital in the Trek concept
stores here in San Diego. One problem is that their overhead is so
high. A friend who owns a shop tells me that the rent is $9000 for a
Trek concept store in Kearney Mesa SD.

Trek also has been acting heavy handed with their dealers. I
personally believe that a lot of their dealers will revolt if Treks
sales drop off much.

Old August 11th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the insight. I'm sure you are much better informed about
Trek than Jacoubsowsky is.
--
JT