Rear wheel 'too small'

Old June 20th 08, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Default Rear wheel 'too small'

Nat wrote:
I wonder if any of you have ever encountered this problem. Every time
I try to change the back wheel, I have some inner tube left over which
causes a bump. It is almost as though the wheel is just a bit too
small. I've been changing my own inners for years so I know all the
'tips and tricks' but this darn thing won't blooming go in!

The tube could be too big. One that is too fat will effectively be too long
as well. A fold shouldn't cause a bump, though. Try a different tube
anyway.

I'll say this even though you say you know the tricks: Make sure the tube
is tucked in before you fit the tyre bead. Push the valve up into the tyre
before inflation (do this without valve lockring).

The bike is an old ammaco sport 6000 if it helps!

No.

~PB

Old June 20th 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Nat wrote:

I've tried a range of sizes so I don't think this is the problem.

If you have tried a tube that is definitely not too big, then the problem is
to do with the wheel or tyre, and nothing to do with the tube at all.

The tyre may not be fitted properly, or the wheel rim or tyre is faulty. I
would try another tyre first.

~PB

Old June 20th 08, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ben C

On 2008-06-20, Nat wrote:
I wonder if any of you have ever encountered this problem. Every time
I try to change the back wheel, I have some inner tube left over which
causes a bump. It is almost as though the wheel is just a bit too
small. I've been changing my own inners for years so I know all the
'tips and tricks' but this darn thing won't blooming go in!
The bike is an old ammaco sport 6000 if it helps!

I have experienced them sometimes appearing to be a bit too big when
they're definitely supposed to be the right size (700C is just 700C).

If you try pumping up an inner tube which is not inside an outer tube,
its radius quickly becomes enormous.

Maybe it gets some permanent stretch when you do that, so if you ever
pumped one up a bit to find where the puncture was perhaps that could be
the cause of the elongation.

Anyway it doesn't matter. Just stuff it in and pump it up. If the tyre
then looks like a python that's swallowed a rabbit, let it down again,
squish it about a bit, and try again.
Old June 20th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe[_4_]

Nat wrote:

I wonder if any of you have ever encountered this problem. Every time
I try to change the back wheel, I have some inner tube left over which
causes a bump. It is almost as though the wheel is just a bit too
small. I've been changing my own inners for years so I know all the
'tips and tricks' but this darn thing won't blooming go in!
The bike is an old ammaco sport 6000 if it helps!
Thanks

I hope that this isn't one of the "tips & tricks" that you've tried...
Ignore it if it is!
I prefer to partially inflate the tube, put it in the tyre (while it's
not on the rim) and bounce the tyre on the road to allow the tube to
distribute itself evenly, especially the extra bit that I'd crammed in last.
Then put one bead of the tyre on with the tube in place (after locating
the valve). and so on....
Works for me.
Roger Thorpe
Old June 20th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nat

On 20 Jun, 11:57, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
Nat wrote:
[...]

Thanks Roger, but like I said, I am used to changing a tyre and what
you mentioned are fairly standard in my tyre changing. But thanks
anyway.It is always nice to know that people do the same things I do
when chaning an inner.
I am thinking there is more than just tyre changing issues here. I
think it may be a problem with the actual wheel and so far there seems
to be no magic answer.
Thanks anway.
Old June 20th 08, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nat

On 20 Jun, 11:57, Roger Thorpe
wrote:
Nat wrote:
[...]

Thanks Roger, but like I said, I am used to changing an inner and what
Old June 20th 08, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

I wrote:
Nat wrote:

I've tried a range of sizes so I don't think this is the problem.

If you have tried a tube that is definitely not too big, then the
problem is to do with the wheel or tyre, and nothing to do with the
tube at all.
The tyre may not be fitted properly, or the wheel rim or tyre is
faulty. I would try another tyre first.

Sorry, ignore all that above.

Reading the original message again, it's clear that the inner tube size is
incompatible if there is some "inner tube left over" and the "darn thing
won't blooming go in".

Nat, What make, model and size is the tyre, and what size and make tubes
have you tried?

I still suspect that the tubes you have tried so far are too large for the
tyre size. Perhaps you have misunderstood the size required, or the tube is
badly manufactured. If it could be the latter then try another brand.

It is ulikely to be anything to do with the wheel. Some tyres are actually
different in size than what is on the label, so that could be the problem.

~PB

Old June 20th 08, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nat

On 20 Jun, 13:49, "Pete Biggs"
I wrote:
Nat wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Sorry to do the 'teaching granny to suck eggs' thing again, but the
wheel is definitly a 700c x23. Thus far I have tried four different
inners of that size and a few others of different widths. Most, as you
know, have a broad range (eg 18-23) and I have tried the smallest I
can find. The wheel is the factory one so I think my solution is to
get another. I am wondering if the previous owner had an accident on
it and the damage is not noticable.