Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft?

Old June 29th 08, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Are these secure bike 'bins' any good for stopping theft?

Hi,
I'm sick to death of having my bikes nicked, but I have no real
alternative to keeping that at the front of my house (lots of narrow
steps and corridors). I think the *******s are using bottle jacks with
some kind of gigantic 'stirrup' to crush my locks (those things exert
a pressure equal to a few tons), and they are apparently quite happy
to work their way through multiple U-locks plus a big security chain
round both wheels and onto solid railings.

Has anyone got one of THESE (see link) and found that they are
genuinely secure?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...oducts&x=0&y=0

I was thinking of getting one, and also having a gigantic security
chain inside, linking to a concreted-in ground fitting coming up
through the base of the bin, with some kind of gargantuan brass lock
of the kind I have seen securing motorcycles to lamp-posts (they are
sort of square shaped, so far I've only used padlocks, which they
crush with the bottle jacks.)

Maybe an alarm on the lid too, though I guess I'd have to give my
neighbours my mobile number + have a system whereby I can stop the
alarm using my mobile (is such a thing on the market?), or they'll
want my blood. Alternatively I could maybe set the alarm to go just
five minutes, as a scare-off tactic, all with my neighbours' sanity in
mind.

Thank you if you can give me the light of your experience on these
bins, or any other ideas for a viable front-of-house solution?????
Old June 30th 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom

wrote in message

Has anyone got one of THESE (see link) and found that they are
genuinely secure?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...oducts&x=0&y=0

Trouble is, the thieves will break into that just to see what's in it. An
alarm is a good idea, insurance is a better one, taking the wheels and seat
off each night (1 minute job with quick release) and having a tatty looking
frame probably the best.

Tom

Old June 30th 08, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Tom" wrote in message

wrote in message

Has anyone got one of THESE (see link) and found that they are
genuinely secure?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...oducts&x=0&y=0

Trouble is, the thieves will break into that just to see what's in it. An
alarm is a good idea, insurance is a better one, taking the wheels and
seat off each night (1 minute job with quick release) and having a tatty
looking frame probably the best.

Tom

So add a securred rottweiller too - that may have the desired effect.

Dave

Old June 30th 08, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
NewRiderPS

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Seems more expensive than the bike(s) themselves.

What about a pulley system where you could rig something to hoist the
bike up in the air, or even all the way up to a large window allowing
you to take the bike outside? You could even motorize it with a small
electric motor.

Old June 30th 08, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doki

wrote in message
[...]

Find a farmer who's packing up. Buy his old spray storage box. I'd be bloody
careful to make sure it's clean, but IIRC they have to be made of something
like 3mm steel. Not something you'll break into in a hurry.

Old June 30th 08, 12:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_search=bic...

[...]

I loved those Wallace and Grommit movies too.
Old June 30th 08, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

Thank you if you can give me the light of your experience on these
bins, or any other ideas for a viable front-of-house solution?????

That doesn't look like it would be too hard to pry open - I'd be more
inclined to build something similar from some hefty timber, and maybe
fit a security light and camera on the wall above it. I think the main
thing is that if the bikes are concealed then thieves are less likely to
spend time trying to get in just to see if there's anything worth
stealing.

Indeed, the weak point of this bin is that when it comes down to it,
it depends on two padlock mountings, and padlocks might as well be
plasticine for these boys.
Old June 30th 08, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 30 Jun, 11:37, "Dave" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message

wrote in message

Has anyone got one of THESE (see link) and found that they are
genuinely secure?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_search=bic...

Trouble is, the thieves will break into that just to see what's in it. An
alarm is a good idea, insurance is a better one, taking the wheels and
seat off each night (1 minute job with quick release) and having a tatty
looking frame probably the best.

Tom

So add a securred rottweiller too - that may have the desired effect.

Dave

A dog would be great, but I'd need one that can go for walks at 20 mph
for an hour a day behind a bike, and look after itself for the winter
months (or get some kind of passport/visa clearance for India
Old June 30th 08, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 30 Jun, 11:33, "Tom" wrote:
wrote in message

Has anyone got one of THESE (see link) and found that they are
genuinely secure?
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&fh_search=bic...

Trouble is, the thieves will break into that just to see what's in it. An
alarm is a good idea, insurance is a better one, taking the wheels and seat
off each night (1 minute job with quick release) and having a tatty looking
frame probably the best.

Tom

A really cruddy, chipped frame is good advice I think. These thieves
are very focussed on re-sale value, and I don't think they get a huge
profit margin (i think they go quickly at a low price), so doing it up
wouldn't be on their agenda. This time they ignored a perfectly OK
quite smart, but rather cheapish bike (not mine) *that wasn't secured
at all*, and went through three locks for my fairly re-saleable
mountain b.