Shimano Dynamo Hub setup

Old April 12th 04, 04:49 PM

Default Shimano Dynamo Hub setup

I'm considering getting this dynamo hub (can't afford a Schmidt) and
I'd really just like to confirm my understanding of what's required
with those of you who know...

Am I right in thinking that:

a) I don't have to use a rear light connected to the dynamo. If I
don't, then I can upgrade the bulb in the front light from 2.4w to 3w
with no problems ensuing? Is it worth doing this - is the difference
really noticeable?

b) you can get a switch to turn the Shimano dynamo off (and save a
little drag although not as much as with a Schmidt), but this is not
necessary if you get a front light that has a switch incorporated -
e.g. the B&W Lumotec Oval Senso Plus?

c) the oval senso plus is compatible with the Shimano hub and is a
good one to get?

The questions are basic, I know, but I wanted to make sure I've
understood things properly...

Thanks

David
Old April 12th 04, 06:02 PM
Chris Heys

On 12 Apr 2004 16:49:32 +0100, wrote:

a) I don't have to use a rear light connected to the dynamo. If I
don't, then I can upgrade the bulb in the front light from 2.4w to 3w
with no problems ensuing? Is it worth doing this - is the difference
really noticeable?

Correct. Personally I don't think the difference is noticable or worth
the £4 for the new bulb.

b) you can get a switch to turn the Shimano dynamo off (and save a
little drag although not as much as with a Schmidt), but this is not
necessary if you get a front light that has a switch incorporated -
e.g. the B&W Lumotec Oval Senso Plus?

Also correct - my Dad has that setup on his bike (with rear light).
Works very well and IMO is better as the Shimano switches have been
known to fail. Don't worry too much about drag BTW, it's barely
noticable - in fact I cycle most of the time with the Nexus on (full
drag) in order to charge a battery pack.

c) the oval senso plus is compatible with the Shimano hub and is a
good one to get?

See above / oval senso plus is very good for the price. Consider
buying from
www.roseversand.de as prices in Germany are very good and
they offer very good service. (they mailed us their 2004 yellow-pages
thickness catalogue all the way from Germany free of charge!)
Admittedly postage is around £8-9, but you can buy a Shimano Nexus
NX-30 hub dynamo for £24, Oval Senso Plus for £20.

Hope it all works out well, let us know how you go on.

Chris
Old April 12th 04, 06:52 PM
John

I don't know if this is of any use from 'Shimano Website'.

More efficient dynamo hubs

The new dynamo hubs DH-3N30 (6V / 3.0 W) and DH-2N30-E (6V / 2.4 W) are not
only compact and lightweight, they are also very efficient. They feature a
reduced resistance by about 40 percent compared to the current HB-NX32 (3.0
W) and HB-NX22 (2.4 W) when the light is switched off.

These new dynamo hubs have been developed with a single contact sealing for
improved waterproof functionality and will be available at an even more
affordable price.

Availability in the market: September 2004

Thanks, John

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On 12 Apr 2004 16:49:32 +0100, wrote in
message :

Am I right in thinking that:

a) I don't have to use a rear light connected to the dynamo. If I
don't, then I can upgrade the bulb in the front light from 2.4w to 3w
with no problems ensuing? Is it worth doing this - is the difference
really noticeable?

Yes you are right, it doesn't make an immense difference but there is
a difference. Get the Philips lamps from CTC Shop for preference.

b) you can get a switch to turn the Shimano dynamo off (and save a
little drag although not as much as with a Schmidt), but this is not
necessary if you get a front light that has a switch incorporated -
e.g. the B&W Lumotec Oval Senso Plus?

It comes with a light-sensitive switch which also has a manual
control. Or mine did, anyway, and I didn't order it as an option.

c) the oval senso plus is compatible with the Shimano hub and is a
good one to get?

It's OK but I have had several problems with Lumotec front lights.
The Bisy or SON E6 are better.

--
Guy
===

Old April 13th 04, 12:30 AM
Terry

a) I don't have to use a rear light connected to the dynamo. If I
don't, then I can upgrade the bulb in the front light from 2.4w to 3w

It *has* to be a 3W bulb if there is no rear light, or the front bulb
will have a very short life. The 3W bulb is not noticeably brighter though.

I have had a 2.4w bulb in an oval light for 2years during which it
must have done 1000miles (on) at least and although I expect it to
blow at any moment it has not.
It seems to be protected from high speed by a widgit(tm).
The light is good.
I would replace it with a 3w but in the dark such differences are not
very significant.10w you would notice.

with the light switched off ( whether by hand or automatic light
sensor) the drag really is not noticable.
I speak as one who used to pull the wires off the sturmey archer
dynamo because I couldn't bear the drag when that was off( I learned
only recently on this group that there was indeed more drag then on
that defunct design).

I am interested to see the new Shimano design advert. It will worry
the germans because of the price difference, though as I said , the
drag of the current one off is not a problem even on long trips.Only
the long audax riders would really be affected.

TerryJ
Old April 13th 04, 12:36 AM
Terry

c) the oval senso plus is compatible with the Shimano hub and is a

Have you a led front and rear already?
Keep them and add the oval plain at about £14.

I have the rear led and oval on the front 2.4w and a front led.
Then you have a backup if one system fails.
TerryJ

FS Large list of parts and bikes Marketplace 0 October 28th 03 05:55 AM
5 pages of new parts for sale Marketplace 1 October 28th 03 01:30 AM
Shimano Dynamo Hub David Nutter UK 5 August 22nd 03 09:42 PM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM