Gresham's Law

Old November 14th 19, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Gresham's Law

https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 14th 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 8:18:39 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Is it your opinion that the continental product was a better product, hence 'Gresham's Law'? I don't know about the Bafang product, but AKAIK Bosch has great reputation for quality and design.
Old November 14th 19, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 07:18:33 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

Gresham's law doesn't apply. The theory is that given two exchange
currencies, the more valuable currency will be hoarded by its holders
and therefore taken out of circulation. Eventually, the less valuable
currency will be all that's left in circulation (until someone unloads
their stash of the more valuable currency and causes the demand for
the less valuable current to crash).
https://marketbusinessnews.com/financial-glossary/greshams-law-definition-meaning/
While this makes sense for currency, I don't see anyone hoarding their
eBikes so that all that is left to purchase are inferior eBike
products. The key word is "hoarding", which is not a replacement for
competitive pricing, where the cheaper products tend to sell better
than the presumably better and more expensive products. Where there's
no "hoarding", Gresham's law does not apply.

We had a good non-currency example of this recently when PG&E turned
off the electric power for a few days to allegedly prevent starting
forest fires. The necessity and demand for generators immediately
rose. Literally, the first day, the better quality generators were
gone from the stores, while the low quality generators was all one
could find, usually at artificially high prices. Fortunately, it only
lasted about two weeks, as the stores were able to restock their
generators, at high prices, of course. Did they restock with high
quality generators? Nope. Most of what I saw for sale at the local
big box stores was bottom of the line models. It also produced a
supply of "broken" used generators for sale, some of which I've been
considering buying and reselling. Most of them were trashed by E10
ethanol fuel left sitting in the carburetor and are an easy fix.

The article indicates that Continental was selling eBike components to
eBike manufacturers and presumably not selling direct to consumers.
The necessary eBike components have become rather common and
competitively priced, making Continental OEM kits somewhat
superfluous.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 14th 19, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/14/2019 8:18 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

I wonder how this will affect the availability of repair parts, etc.

Life can be tough for early adopters.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 14th 19, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/14/2019 11:43 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

We had a good non-currency example of this recently when PG&E turned
off the electric power for a few days to allegedly prevent starting
forest fires. The necessity and demand for generators immediately
rose. Literally, the first day, the better quality generators were
gone from the stores, while the low quality generators was all one
could find, usually at artificially high prices. Fortunately, it only
lasted about two weeks, as the stores were able to restock their
generators, at high prices, of course. Did they restock with high
quality generators? Nope. Most of what I saw for sale at the local
big box stores was bottom of the line models. It also produced a
supply of "broken" used generators for sale, some of which I've been
considering buying and reselling. Most of them were trashed by E10
ethanol fuel left sitting in the carburetor and are an easy fix.

Decades ago, I read of a proposal for home heating and home power
generation by using home generators powered by natural gas. The big
efficiency boost would come from utilization of waste heat from the
generator, first to heat home water, then space heating. I suppose a
dedicated hobbyist could give it a try by modifying a commercial
generator to run on NG.

Similarly, the idea of "co-generation" was floated, in which small local
plants could burn a variety of fuels - perhaps including trash - to
generate electricity for a community, and pipe waste heat into nearby
buildings.

If California had either of those systems running, PG&E problems would
have much less impact.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 14th 19, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 08:18:39 UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yet more orphan products.

Cheers
Old November 14th 19, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 12:44:44 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/14/2019 8:18 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

I wonder how this will affect the availability of repair parts, etc.

Life can be tough for early adopters.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Life can be tough for late adopters too when a product is dropped for something that's touted to be the latest greatest thing.

Cheers
Old November 14th 19, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, 14 November 2019 12:53:56 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Wasn't there a city in Norway that built a garbage burning generating station that was so successful along with recycling that they had to import garbage from other areas in order to keep the generating plant running?

Ah yes. Oslo, Norway.

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/30/w...to-energy.html

Cheers
Old November 14th 19, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 5:18:39 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't think that people were following your train of thought. I'm having difficulties deciding if E-bikes will ever be anything but a flash in the pan. These mechanisms add a great deal of weight to a bike and most commuters are already too heavy.
Old November 14th 19, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, November 14, 2019 at 1:18:39 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/contine...arket-product/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

From the link:
"Dandelion root extract makes up part of the formula, which it is hoped will revolutionise the tyre compound and lessen the reliance on polluting rubber."

Ladies and gentlmen, if you'll look out of the window, you'll notice we're now entering leprechaun land.

Andre Jute
Special Witch Doctor Kit with Optional Dandelion Root Extract now only $29.95 plus six offbrand cola tops