Dropper posts for every bike?

Old November 27th 19, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Dropper posts for every bike?

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 27th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:04:27 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

Of course. It is vitally important to be able to decent at maximum
speed :-)

But a an aside, I thought that some MTB bikes had this feature for
some years now. Is it news solely because road bikes now use it?

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 19, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

Of course. It is vitally important to be able to decent at maximum
speed :-)

But a an aside, I thought that some MTB bikes had this feature for
some years now. Is it news solely because road bikes now use it?

It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

For pro road racing bikes, they seem to be talking almost entirely about
aerodynamics, with a little about improving cornering.

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

Plus an ejection seat if your bike is stolen!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 28th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

Of course. It is vitally important to be able to decent at maximum
speed :-)

But a an aside, I thought that some MTB bikes had this feature for
some years now. Is it news solely because road bikes now use it?

It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

For pro road racing bikes, they seem to be talking almost entirely about
aerodynamics, with a little about improving cornering.

From what I see pro racers already use a semi squatting position on
descents, crouching over the handle bars. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojjIghKQoM
at about 2:30.

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

Plus an ejection seat if your bike is stolen!

I had thought with today's super speeds due mainly to the
instantaneous electric shifting and the new dropper seats that an all
encompassing air bag might not be a great addition to the bicycle's
equipment. Perhaps similar to: https://tinyurl.com/y63uuuv7
which appears to incorporate a helmet.

It might be noted that this system was first developed in 1898 so it
is obvious that this design could have been incorporated into the
cyclist's list of vital equipment over 100 years ago and who knows how
many lives might have been saved?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 19, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

Of course. It is vitally important to be able to decent at maximum
speed :-)

But a an aside, I thought that some MTB bikes had this feature for
some years now. Is it news solely because road bikes now use it?

It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

For pro road racing bikes, they seem to be talking almost entirely about
aerodynamics, with a little about improving cornering.

From what I see pro racers already use a semi squatting position on
descents, crouching over the handle bars. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojjIghKQoM
at about 2:30.

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

Plus an ejection seat if your bike is stolen!

I had thought with today's super speeds due mainly to the
instantaneous electric shifting and the new dropper seats that an all
encompassing air bag might not be a great addition to the bicycle's
equipment. Perhaps similar to: https://tinyurl.com/y63uuuv7
which appears to incorporate a helmet.

There's this:
https://sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 28th 19, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

Should pro road racers use dropper posts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/worldto...111819293.html

If they do, it won't be long before anyone who uses an ordinary seatpost
will be scorned as a luddite.

Of course. It is vitally important to be able to decent at maximum
speed :-)

But a an aside, I thought that some MTB bikes had this feature for
some years now. Is it news solely because road bikes now use it?

It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

For pro road racing bikes, they seem to be talking almost entirely about
aerodynamics, with a little about improving cornering.

From what I see pro racers already use a semi squatting position on
descents, crouching over the handle bars. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zojjIghKQoM
at about 2:30.

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

Plus an ejection seat if your bike is stolen!

I had thought with today's super speeds due mainly to the
instantaneous electric shifting and the new dropper seats that an all
encompassing air bag might not be a great addition to the bicycle's
equipment. Perhaps similar to: https://tinyurl.com/y63uuuv7
which appears to incorporate a helmet.

There's this:
https://sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

Well, a rather primitive solution to the problem but I suppose that
the Mark I can be viewed as base on which improvements can be made.

But, from my reading, head injuries account for only about 30% of all
bicycle injuries while the remaining two-thirds are injuries to the
body, thus bicycle protection must include that for the body.

Bicycle armor does exist but even a cursory examination shows that it
is not all encompassing thus currently available armor is not adequate
for complete protection from injury and a greater coverage is
necessary. something similar to
http://www.medievalwarfare.info/armour.htm
would seem to provide the greatest protection.

As an aside, any such armour, although made from modern Carbon Fiber
could include tasteful embossing and even an array of colors.

Hot Damn! Think of the girls pointing and waving their hands as you
ride by in your all encompassing armour complete with a tasteful color
scheme :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old November 28th 19, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/27/2019 2:41 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

P.S. Perhaps control of the dropper could be integrated into the
electric shifting and bikers could have the best of both worlds.

You're not thinking big enough. With a proper GPS integrated, as well as
torque sensors and angle sensors, control of the dropper could be fully
automated with no need for the rider to manually control the height.
It's one more step on the road to a self-driving bicycle.

Anyone using a non-dropper seatpost is standing in the way of human
progress.

Old November 28th 19, 12:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 28-11-19 00:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

I bought a new mountain bike in 2016, and probably wouldn't have paid
the extra cost of the dropper post if the LBS hadn't strongly encouraged
it. Now I'm glad I did. For coasting down steep unpaved roads or trails
I feel safer after dropping the post. I think there is less chance I
will end up flying forward over the handlebars, especially when there is
gravel that doesn't allow hard braking. Admittedly I can't exclude that
the effect is only psychological.

Ned
Old November 28th 19, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, November 28, 2019 at 12:21:37 PM UTC+1, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 28-11-19 00:34, Frank Krygowski wrote:
It's news because it's a proposal, but with a different objective. As I
understand it, a dropper post on a mountain bike is mostly to get the
seat out of the way so it doesn't interfere with things like jumps,
landings, tilting the bike way, way over, etc.

I bought a new mountain bike in 2016, and probably wouldn't have paid
the extra cost of the dropper post if the LBS hadn't strongly encouraged
it. Now I'm glad I did. For coasting down steep unpaved roads or trails
I feel safer after dropping the post. I think there is less chance I
will end up flying forward over the handlebars, especially when there is
gravel that doesn't allow hard braking. Admittedly I can't exclude that
the effect is only psychological.

Ned

Off course our old farts already made fun of this without knowing what they are talking about. They only have to look at downhill bikes to know.

Lou
Old November 28th 19, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

My shop stool has a dropper post.

I think it might be a good idea for rental bikes, for quick and convenient seat height adjustment.

I'm holding off on modern MTBs until they come with dropper wheels that change diameter. Somehow I've become so backwards that I think bicycles are supposed to offer maximum function from a minimum of equipment. My bikes don't have dropper posts, heated seats, automated self-parking, or even cupholders. It's kind of sad.