Tour de France routes

Old October 23rd 03, 03:27 PM
Tom Kunich

Default Tour de France routes

This last TdF saw some complaints and criticisms that had there not
been a Team Time Trail that Ullrich would have won.

And lo and behold, in this years Tour there appears to be no TTT.

It is extremely unlikely that Armstrong could win a 6th Tour since
history shows us that the motivation, physical prowess and luck
required to do this hasn't been forthcoming in the world's greatest
riders.

But nonetheless it would appear that the Society d'TdF are stacking
the deck against Postal.
Old October 23rd 03, 03:45 PM
CTRDY01

This last TdF saw some complaints and criticisms that had there not
been a Team Time Trail that Ullrich would have won.

And lo and behold, in this years Tour there appears to be no TTT.

It is extremely unlikely that Armstrong could win a 6th Tour since
history shows us that the motivation, physical prowess and luck
required to do this hasn't been forthcoming in the world's greatest
riders.

But nonetheless it would appear that the Society d'TdF are stacking
the deck against Postal.

Well... actually Stage #4 on July 7th is a TTT.
I don't see this itinerary as being stacked against Postal... just that they
want to keep it close as long as possible.

There is no perfect itinerary anyway that would satisfy everyone. This one, I
feel is quite interesting. Belgium and Nothern France are huge supporters of
the sport, the Massic Central will be "plenty bumpy". The Pyrenees are OK (a
bit short), but it's nice to have a new "Col" featured.
The ITT in the Alpe d'Huez is going to be amazing... so much so that it may
actually detract from the next days' stage which does feature the Glandon and
Madeleine. The stage arriving in Lons le Saulnier will still be hilly enough to
have an impact, although similarly to the big Alpine stage, the leaders may
keep some under the pedal for the next days final Time Trial.... my one big
regret is that July 20th doesn't feature Mont Ventoux...

- Chris -
http://www.customgetaways.com
Sport Vacations
(Multisport, Cycling, Marathons, etc...)
Old October 23rd 03, 04:02 PM
B. Lafferty

There appear to be only two real mountain top finishes, excluding the itt,
and only one really cruncher of a mountain stage. Get ready for a boring
time of it with gruppo compacto until the final 5km of the day's final
climb. I think they should just cut the Tour to 5 stages this year--two
flat stages for the sprinters, one mountain stage, the TTT and the mountain
ITT.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:13 PM
Richard Adams

CTRDY01 wrote:

[...]

It's amazing... I have two loads of the page and one shows
"Stage 4 - July 7: Arras - Cambrai"
the other shows
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km

Looks like their filling it in on the fly.

Old October 23rd 03, 04:21 PM
Jeff Jones

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
CTRDY01 wrote:

It's amazing... I have two loads of the page and one shows
"Stage 4 - July 7: Arras - Cambrai"
the other shows
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km

Looks like their filling it in on the fly.

It's the latter :-)

Jeff

Old October 23rd 03, 04:29 PM
Richard Adams

CTRDY01 wrote:

It's amazing... I have two loads of the page and one shows
"Stage 4 - July 7: Arras - Cambrai"
the other shows
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km

Looks like their filling it in on the fly.

It's the latter :-)

Jeff

How's that ol' Trabant running?

Old October 23rd 03, 05:40 PM
Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones wrote:

It's the latter :-)

Jeff

How's that ol' Trabant running?

Too damn slow.

More Tour stuff to come in a bit...

cheers,
Jeff

Old October 23rd 03, 09:16 PM
Davide Tosi

CTRDY01 wrote:

It's amazing... I have two loads of the page and one shows
"Stage 4 - July 7: Arras - Cambrai"
the other shows
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km

Looks like their filling it in on the fly.

It's the latter :-)

Does anyone know whether the final kms of stage 3 - the previous day -
really present some cobbled P-R section as I read somewhere else?
This would be funny the day before the TTT.

Old October 23rd 03, 10:17 PM
B. Lafferty

CTRDY01 wrote:

It's amazing... I have two loads of the page and one shows
"Stage 4 - July 7: Arras - Cambrai"
the other shows
Stage 4 - July 7: Cambrai - Arras TTT, 65 km

Looks like their filling it in on the fly.

It's the latter :-)

Does anyone know whether the final kms of stage 3 - the previous day -
really present some cobbled P-R section as I read somewhere else?
This would be funny the day before the TTT.

It certainly won't be as difficult or interesting as the cobbles used in the
1979 Tour (as one example).

Old October 23rd 03, 10:18 PM
B. Lafferty

For onece the Spotted Dick speaks something approaching the truth.

Richard Virenque
« A chaud, je reste perplexe sur le parcours.