Puncture resistant tyre tubes

Old February 2nd 04, 09:24 PM
Cicero

Default Puncture resistant tyre tubes

Yesterday I got three punctures in one wheel in about twenty yards. A farmer
or the Local Council had just finished cutting a hawthorn hedge adjacent to
the cycle track.

Today I bought a 'Raleigh puncture resistant cycle tube' to fit to the front
wheel of my trike. I'm hoping that this will save me the 'pleasure' of
mending punctures in future as the front wheel on the trike can be difficult
to mend.

Has anybody any experience of these wonderful puncture resistant tubes or am
I going to be disappointed?

Any opinions very welcome...

Cic.

Old February 2nd 04, 11:05 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 21:24:17 GMT, "Cicero"
wrote:

Has anybody any experience of these wonderful puncture resistant tubes or am
I going to be disappointed?

Kevar belted tyres offer some resistance to puncture weed, but only
moderate. Hedgecutters are a work of Stan :-(

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
Old February 3rd 04, 01:04 AM
Pete Biggs

Cicero wrote:
Today I bought a 'Raleigh puncture resistant cycle tube' to fit to
the front wheel of my trike.

How is it puncture resistant? Stuff in it? Thicker than normal?

~PB

Old February 3rd 04, 01:15 AM
Tim Dunne

Cicero wrote:
: Any opinions very welcome...

If they're stamped 'Dutch Perfect' (raleigh rebrands these) I've had a pair
of those on my hybrid for a year now and not one fatality. Very pleased...

Tim
--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'When you hear a man ranting, don't just read the lips, be more sublime

Old February 3rd 04, 08:16 AM
Cicero

wrote:

Has anybody any experience of these wonderful puncture resistant tubes or

am
I going to be disappointed?

Kevar belted tyres offer some resistance to puncture weed, but only
moderate. Hedgecutters are a work of Stan :-(

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

================
The shop didn't have Kevlar tyres in stock so I just bought the puncture
resistant tube. Apparently it's quite in order to use both a kevlar tyre and
a puncture resistant tube together so I will buy the kevlar tyre when it's
available. That should provide virtual armour plated riding!

Cic.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:24 AM
Cicero

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
Cicero wrote:
Today I bought a 'Raleigh puncture resistant cycle tube' to fit to
the front wheel of my trike.

How is it puncture resistant? Stuff in it? Thicker than normal?

~PB

===========
It's much thicker than normal on the outer face and possibly slightly
thicker on the inner surface. It's difficult to be certain but the outer
surface appears to be about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. The shopkeeeper
specifically stated that it doesn't contain any self-sealing 'stuff' such
as 'Slime'. Apparently self-healing products are only good for punctures up
to about 2mm diameter.

Cic.

Old February 3rd 04, 08:28 AM
Cicero

"Tim Dunne" wrote in message
news
Cicero wrote:
: Any opinions very welcome...

If they're stamped 'Dutch Perfect' (raleigh rebrands these) I've had a

pair
of those on my hybrid for a year now and not one fatality. Very pleased...

Tim
--

==================
No, it's stamped 'Cheng Shin Tube' but packed as 'Raleigh'. The shopkeeper

Cic.

Old February 3rd 04, 09:08 AM
Richard Goodman

"Cicero" wrote in message

It's much thicker than normal on the outer face and possibly slightly
thicker on the inner surface. It's difficult to be certain but the outer
surface appears to be about 1/8" to 3/16" thick. The shopkeeeper
specifically stated that it doesn't contain any self-sealing 'stuff'

such
as 'Slime'. Apparently self-healing products are only good for punctures

up
to about 2mm diameter.

Cic.

Others may differ but my experience is that the best way of avoiding
punctures is the kevlar belt inserts that fit between tyre and tube. They
really do work to prevent punctures (slime only 'heals' them if you get
one) - my tyres get slashed to bits with all the glass I encounter on my
route, but no punctures. The liners also help the tyres last a bit longer
but preventing the tube from bulging out some of the holes! When I got a
new bike I didn't put liners in right away and had a puncture within a week,
after putting them in none since.

Rich

Old February 3rd 04, 09:12 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Cicero" wrote in message

The shopkeeper
stated that they haven't had a single return in over a year of sales

Heh! Mental picture of cyclist trying desperately to get to shop to return
tube, thwarted every five yards by the p*nct*r* fairy :-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 3rd 04, 09:24 AM
vernon levy

Has anybody any experience of these wonderful puncture resistant tubes

or
am
I going to be disappointed?

My youngest son is the bane of my life. I'm sure that he's in league with
the puncture repair kit industry as barely a week goes by without me having
to repair a puncture on his BMX though it has occured to me as I type this,
that he's survived January unpunctured. At peak activity it can be twice
daily. I've tried a variety of tubes to make life easier for me and he's
managed to circumvent slime filled and thickened rubber tubes with aplomb.
Admittedly some of the punctures have been snake bites but the majority have
been thorns, bits of metal and glass.