Aero rims - good for touring?

Old June 15th 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Default Aero rims - good for touring?

Victor Kan wrote:
On Jun 14, 2:47 pm, doofy wrote:

I was just wanting to avoid having to repair spokes. Of course, I've
never lost a spoke on a bike, but I've never done touring either.

Carrying and replacing spokes on a conventional wheel on a tour is a
lot easier than getting an Aerospoke repaired (basically you'll have
to box it up and send it back to the manufacturer).

Of course, some say the Aerospokes are "bombproof", but as with
anything else, some have had problems (the BROL forum has one such
thread, I think).

I would also think that Aerospokes are more susceptible to suicide
squirrels.

As opposed to homicide squirrels:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070614/...Nl92aNc E1vAI

Ok, I'm biting, do some people get squirrels in their spokes? Seems
possible.
Old June 15th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

doofy wrote:

Ok, I'm biting, do some people get squirrels in their spokes? Seems
possible.

Ah gess dey do:

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2005/12/squ...de-attack.html
Old June 15th 07, 04:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mark Leuck[_2_]

"doofy" wrote in message
I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?

I've got them, they do both very well

Old June 15th 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mark Leuck[_2_]

"doofy" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
"doofy" wrote
I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

There are AeroSpoke reviews in several places, www.bentrideronline.com.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?

36/48 spoke "regular" wheels can be made plenty strong for touring.
My TE is currently using 32 spoke OCR rear wheel since I dinged
the 36 spoke OEM rim. If I were going cross country, I might replace
the rim and put the 36 spoke wheel back on, but for my last two
week-long tours, I've used the lighter OCR wheel without any problems.

Aerospoke wheels are heavier than "regular" wheels, but the difference
probably doesn't amount to much overall compared to the overall
self-supported touring gear...

They will lighten your wallet, of course! %^)

I'd rather take the $500-700 and spend it on other things, lighter tent,
stove, tail fairing, GPS,...

I was just wanting to avoid having to repair spokes. Of course, I've
never lost a spoke on a bike, but I've never done touring either.

Previously I never lost a spoke either but liked the way Aerospoke's looked
and now have roughly 15,000 on them

Aero rims and spoke count [email protected] Techniques 52 December 10th 06 09:29 PM
FT Fir Aero Rims [email protected] Marketplace 1 February 16th 06 12:39 AM
FA: Araya Aero-1 WC rims, Pair 36h NOS Gemma_k Marketplace 0 May 3rd 05 01:10 AM
semi aero 700c rims andy Techniques 4 June 25th 04 01:32 PM
FS: NOS Mavic CXP30 Aero Rims Al Van Varick Marketplace 5 November 4th 03 11:38 PM