Winter....anyone.

Old February 3rd 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
John Kane

Default Winter....anyone.

On Feb 3, 4:09 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ],
Ryan Cousineau writes:

The very worst is the classic 1 C and raining that is so common in
Vancouver.

I've never understood that particular odium.

To me, that it's not freezing is a good thing.

That it's raining is just ... usual and normal.

If the streets are ice-free, I'm happier than
a kitten in a dairy.

Having to stand still @ 1C in the rain (e.g: waiting
for a bus) is horrid. But being able to move around
readily obviates and obliviates all the discomforts.

cheers,
Tom

We don't get the +/- 1 C and rain that much here but I tend to agree
that it's worse than reasonably cold weather say -5 or -10. Much more
chance of unexpected ice and and the chance of getting wet and very
cold very fast is much higher.

Of course you need to realise that a winter rider here does not
normally dress for wet weather.

Old February 27th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Ryan Cousineau wrote:

If anyone has a recommendation for a really weather-resistant cycling
shoe (or maybe magic socks), let me know.

Mec has the Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Cycling Shoes which are what I
use. If you are in a total downpour they will soak water in through the
neoprene 'sock' at top, but in normal rains they work a treat.

I've been spoiled by their ridiculously firm sole, which I miss when I
shift back to regular MTB/commuter shoes.

--
Dane Buson -
'You know all those spasticated-looking hip-hop gestures involving
Old February 28th 08, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Dane Buson wrote:

In rec.bicycles.misc Ryan Cousineau wrote:

If anyone has a recommendation for a really weather-resistant cycling
shoe (or maybe magic socks), let me know.

Mec has the Exustar E-SM450 Cold Weather Cycling Shoes which are what I
use. If you are in a total downpour they will soak water in through the
neoprene 'sock' at top, but in normal rains they work a treat.

I've been spoiled by their ridiculously firm sole, which I miss when I
shift back to regular MTB/commuter shoes.

Interesting. I ended up buying those exact boots a few weeks ago, though
I haven't given them a serious test yet. I suspect that slipping a
legging over the top of the "sock" would help.

The firm sole is nice, but as a nerdy racer, I expect such things.
There's quite a few "racer" MTB shoes that have soles that rigid; the
racier versions seem to take a road-shoe sole and add tread lugs to the
bottom. I don't do a huge amount of walking in these shoes off the bike,
but they're not horrible.

RR: Winter is on its way ... but it's not here yet. [email protected] Mountain Biking 4 December 17th 06 11:44 AM
End of winter! Mike Causer UK 48 December 16th 06 06:18 PM
winter again [email protected] Techniques 4 August 27th 06 04:19 PM
Winter Uni? Eroick Unicycling 6 February 10th 06 03:03 AM
FA: Winter shoes, winter tights, Serfas saddle John Verheul Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 05:02 PM