Better Braking?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 9th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Better Braking?

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 3:56:29 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 2/8/2020 3:14 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Yes, he used to engage in quite aggressive guerilla marketing of those flashlights as bicycle lights as well as the assorted kludged mounts for them.

He still avows that you can't drill a hole for and install a Rivnut without destroying the bike unless you have a fully equipped machine shop.

I ignore most of his stances on everything.

Cheers

Another example of "mine" is better than "yours", except it is verbal
rather than material...

LOL, wow, Sir Ridesalot ignores my stances on everything, but still
reads it voraciously! OTOH he's been in my filter list for years since I
find no value in anything he writes.

The key thing is to lead by example. Don't try to tell people what to
do, explain to them why you made the choices you made. If they are
making bad choices maybe gently explain, with cites, why they might want
to reconsider their position.

I.e., your obsession with drilling holes in your frame may be fine for
you, but it's pretty important that people understand why they shouldn't
grab their power drill and do the same thing. Citing the opinions of
experts, as well as explaining the frame warranty policies of the
bicycle manufacturers, may upset you, but I'm pretty certain that you
understand why people might not want to copy what you do.

Crap, I just drilled and tapped my fork crown for the mood light. Speaking of dynos, a guy at the rack asked me about my light. I told him what it was; he asked about what it costs, and when I told him, he kind of rolled his eyes and rode away with his little all-in-one. I get the feeling that he lives pretty close to my office because he has a fixie with flat bars and rides in civies, so I don't see him much on rainy days. He's perfectly content with his battery light, and I didn't try to convert him, being that I'm not getting a kick-back from Shutter Precision or B&M. I was kind of amazed this guy didn't know about dynos because is bike is a rather unique fixie built around an old Raleigh International frame with hammered metal fenders, leather bar grips and one of those really expensive dinger bells. It's kind of a collector's bike -- the sort of thing that screams out for a mood light.

-- Jay Beattie.

Regenerative braking Marc[_2_] UK 3 December 24th 09 12:01 PM
Unnerving braking experiences; sudden braking increase. Michael Press Techniques 47 January 30th 07 11:06 PM
braking system strawberry Mountain Biking 11 April 3rd 05 06:54 PM
Braking in corners Doki UK 34 May 6th 04 11:13 AM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM