Suspending suspension forks

Old March 30th 07, 06:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Suspending suspension forks

I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 30th 07, 07:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_4_]

DeF Wrote:
I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

If you are worrying about overextending the fork why not hang it by the
back wheel?

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old March 30th 07, 09:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA[_19_]

DeF Wrote:
I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

The bike rack at work suspends bike by a hook under the front rim so
the fork slants back and down from the hub (the bike frame is parallel
to the wall it hangs on.

I have had no problems with the fork.

I bought a RockShox Reba SL fork from Torpedo 7 just recently and have
yet to fit it.

The handbook says " Important Note: when storing a bicycle or fork
upside down or on its side, oil sealed in the upper tube can collect
above the Motion Control Damper assembly. Upon returning the
bicycle/fork to a normal riding position, initial performance of the
Motion Control System may be less than optimal. To quickly return the
fork to proper performance, return the fork to 'Open' position and
cycle the fork through its travel 10-20 times."

It then goes on to describe 'Open' position. The fork has a remote
lock-out and "Open" appears to basically be the totally un-locked out
position - ie fork has full travel.

I'm not sure if this means that once I fit the fork to the bike, when I
take it down off the bike rack at work I will have to bounce around on
it 10 to 20 times before riding home at night.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old March 30th 07, 11:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

SteveA wrote:
DeF Wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that very useful info. As it turns out, those are
the forks I was looking at (and from Torpedo 7). I don't know
much about suspension forks but a mate of mine reckons they're
not a bad deal.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the fork once it's
fitted.

Cheers,
DeF.

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old March 30th 07, 01:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"DeF" ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote in message
I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

I have been storing a bike with a suspension fork on a hook for a few years
and recently I noticed that a heap of the fork oil had leaked out of one
side as when it is hanging by the front wheel, the fork is in a position
where the oil pools at the top of it. Obviously the seal has perished
somewhat but I have since gotten into the habit of hanging the bike up by
the back wheel so that the front forks end up in a position where the oil
will pool towards the bottom rather than the top of the fork. This had a
knock-on effect of me having to reverse all of my other bikes as I have them
pretty close together so that mtb handlebars go above or below road bike
seats etc. On the rack that I built from L to R there is track bike, road
bike, mtb, fixed roadie, SS mtb. And I now have them hung Rear wheel,
front, rear, front, rear respectively and at various heights so that
handlebars miss seat posts. This allows me to get 5 bikes crammed into just
over one metre of wall space.

Gags

Old March 30th 07, 02:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 30, 8:14 pm, DeF
wrote:
SteveA wrote:
DeF Wrote:
[...]

Reba SL's are bloody ace!

They're on my Trek 4700, and they are a great upgrade.

Old March 31st 07, 11:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:09:57 -0700, Bleve wrote:

Reba SL's are bloody ace!

They're not bad at all. And it's a good way to get an extra set of forks
to start the cascade that leads to building up a frame as N+1.

--
Dave Hughes |
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply
Old March 31st 07, 01:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

DeF wrote:
I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

What the F...!
Your bike is supposed to take pride of place in your lounge-room,
standing next to the TV.

Friday
Old March 31st 07, 01:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:21:37 +0800, Friday wrote:

Your bike is supposed to take pride of place in your lounge-room,
standing next to the TV.

You seem to be operating under a misapprehension. Not all of my bikes will
fit next to the TV.

--
Dave Hughes |
Flagrant system error! The system is down. I dunno what you did,
Old April 2nd 07, 06:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Rory Williams wrote:
DeF Wrote:
I'm thinking of getting some suspension forks for
the MTB (I got some swapped out when I bought it
some time ago - but that's another story).

I store my bikes using a hook attached to a wall.
For example:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=A1375

My question - is it OK to store a bike with
suspension forks in this way? Are the forks going
to be adversely affected by being stored at
the "wrong" angle?

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

If you are worrying about overextending the fork why not hang it by the
back wheel?

RoryW

Yeah, thought of that. In fact, that is how I hang
every second bike so that handlebars don't clash.

I was more worried about any fluid in the forks that
might gravitate to the wrong place or leak out through
seals. I've never had suspension forks except on my
motor bike and I haven't needed to store that vertically
as yet....

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Suspension adjusted MTB forks? Luke Techniques 3 September 2nd 05 03:20 AM
1" suspension forks Bryan UK 2 June 28th 04 08:55 PM
Changing front suspension forks to rigid forks dannyfrankszzz UK 14 May 30th 04 09:03 PM
Suspension forks JO Off Road 1 April 11th 04 02:31 AM
Help please: Suspension forks suppliers? JB UK 2 December 1st 03 09:09 PM