Is this normal LBS behavior on pricing?

Old April 26th 04, 05:03 AM
Jacque_Strapp

Default Is this normal LBS behavior on pricing?

Hi all:

I am new to biking (at least with bikes that cost more than $100), and
thinking of getting a hybrid bike for tooling around town, maybe to
ride to work, probably some light dirt trail riding. There is a shop
near me that sells two of the brands I've been looking at (Raleigh and
Trek), but when I asked the guy about prices I got a strange response:

"The price on the tag is probably higher than what you'll actually
pay."

The implication being they are open to haggling. That kind of makes
comparison shopping impossible, even between different models in that
store. Is this acceptable behavior, or should I look for another shop?
I realize I should support a small bike shop, but there are a couple
other small shops within driving distance (but this one is in riding
distance).
Old April 26th 04, 05:55 AM
S. Anderson

"Jacque_Strapp" wrote in message
The implication being they are open to haggling. That kind of makes
comparison shopping impossible, even between different models in that
store. Is this acceptable behavior, or should I look for another shop?

It's pretty standard in my experience. There are several factors at work
you have to realize. One is that some manufacturers don't like shops
marking their bikes cheaper than list price. I would recommend you find the
shop you're most comfortable with, who take the time to FIT the bike
properly for you and look like they have competent shop staff and pay
whatever they want. Well, try to knock them down a big.. ;-) Believe me,
a proper fit and competent staff are worth the bucks.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old April 26th 04, 02:34 PM
Mark

Hi Jacque, Yes, this is pretty much normal in just about every bike
you'll walk into. It's nothing to be leery, or afraid of. I
understand what you say how this makes things a bit confusing. Never
be afraid to ask them what thier bottom line price is for anything,
Bikes, Parts, Servicing.

Yes, hybrids/MTB's like Trek/Raliegh can get quite pricey. Easily
exceeding $1,000 in price. I recommend getting a price on a bike you
like, take down its model number, and come home, and at least do some
homework online, or possibly visit another trek/Raliegh dealer in town
if you have one.

If your looking for basic transportaion, in a bike that is not too
shabby, and the prices are very low (less than $200), maybe check out
Wal-Mart?

No, naturally, they are not of Trek, or Raleigh quality, but some
aren't all that bad either for a basic bike. The choice ultimately
has to be yours for what exactly you are looking for. There's pro, and
con in buying a $149 bike versus a better quality bike in the
$300-$500 range. Usually the Wal-Mart quality bikes will have
components that are of much cheaper quality than these better brand
bikes. Things like wheels/tires/saddles brakes/etc.etc.

One thing you won't find at Wal-Mart though, is someone who can help
you when your bike has a problem down the road. If you have no great
knowledge in maintaining, or servicing a bike, then the bike shop will
be a wiser move.

Most, if not all Bike Shops will service/adjust/inspect your bike for
free from when it is first purchased. Some shops will do this up to
one year from date of purchase, and that is a nice plus versus
somewhere like Wal-Mart.

Most bike shops have pretty decent people there, and welcome your
business.
hope this helps, and best of luck, Mark

Old April 26th 04, 04:52 PM
DDB

Umm..................... they tell you that you can buy it for less than
list and you're complaining?

You could always just pay list price! :-)

Most bike shops will horse trade to some degree.

Old April 26th 04, 05:14 PM
FloridaBent

Jacque_Strapp (great name for an athlete) said:
Hi all:

I am new to biking (at least with bikes that cost more than $100), and
thinking of getting a hybrid bike for tooling around town, maybe to
ride to work, probably some light dirt trail riding. There is a shop
near me that sells two of the brands I've been looking at (Raleigh and
Trek), but when I asked the guy about prices I got a strange response:

"The price on the tag is probably higher than what you'll actually
pay."

The implication being they are open to haggling. That kind of makes
comparison shopping impossible, even between different models in that
store. Is this acceptable behavior, or should I look for another shop?
I realize I should support a small bike shop, but there are a couple
other small shops within driving distance (but this one is in riding
distance).

Bill, riding bent in Florida
(hence the screen name)

I may be old and fat, but by golly,

I'm Slow!

To e-mail, remove undies
Old April 26th 04, 05:15 PM
FloridaBent

SORRY 'BOUT THAT; HIT WRONG BUTTON

Jacque_Strapp (still a great name) said:

Hi all:

I am new to biking (at least with bikes that cost more than $100), and
thinking of getting a hybrid bike for tooling around town, maybe to
ride to work, probably some light dirt trail riding. There is a shop
near me that sells two of the brands I've been looking at (Raleigh and
Trek), but when I asked the guy about prices I got a strange response:

"The price on the tag is probably higher than what you'll actually
pay."

The implication being they are open to haggling. That kind of makes
comparison shopping impossible, even between different models in that
store. Is this acceptable behavior, or should I look for another shop?
I realize I should support a small bike shop, but there are a couple
other small shops within driving distance (but this one is in riding
distance).

What, you never bought a car?

Old April 26th 04, 05:20 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am new to biking (at least with bikes that cost more than $100), and
thinking of getting a hybrid bike for tooling around town, maybe to
ride to work, probably some light dirt trail riding. There is a shop
near me that sells two of the brands I've been looking at (Raleigh and
Trek), but when I asked the guy about prices I got a strange response:

"The price on the tag is probably higher than what you'll actually
pay."

The implication being they are open to haggling. That kind of makes
comparison shopping impossible, even between different models in that
store. Is this acceptable behavior, or should I look for another shop?
I realize I should support a small bike shop, but there are a couple
other small shops within driving distance (but this one is in riding
distance).

That's going to vary by shop. There are quite a few that will mark up
something higher than they normally expect to sell something for and, if
somebody's willing to pay that, great, it's money in the bank. But there
are also shops (like ours) where the price on the tag *is* the price, no
matter how much haggling one wishes to do. We price our bikes to be
competitive and go out of our way to make sure the bike fits properly and
doesn't sit in the garage... and it's our job to make sure that the bike is
worth the price on the tag. If we can't convince the customer of that, we
lose the sale. But if our staff didn't recognize that the bike on the floor
does have a value, and that that value is a result of what we put into it...
I think we'd actually sell fewer bikes, not more, if we had a moving-target
for pricing. And I'm positive our service to the customer would decline,
because the way things are set up now, everyone in the store knows we have
something to live up to. If they can't stand behind the price on the tag,
then they're not going to live up to it, either.

There are lots of different ways to do business, and there's no single one
that's right or wrong for everybody.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 26th 04, 05:27 PM
BanditManDan

One thing you won't find at Wal-Mart though, is someone who can help
you when your bike has a problem down the road. If you have no great
knowledge in maintaining, or servicing a bike, then the bike shop will
be a wiser move.

Most, if not all Bike Shops will service/adjust/inspect your bike for
free from when it is first purchased. Some shops will do this up to
one year from date of purchase, and that is a nice plus versus
somewhere like Wal-Mart.

In addition, most bike dealers aren't opposed to servicing a decent quality
Wal-Mart bike either. A LBS can actually make more money on service and
accessories than on bike sales and I generally don't see LBS turn away any
business.

Old April 26th 04, 05:31 PM
David Kerber

In article , mikej1
@ix.netcom.com says...

[...]

This appears to be similar to what the shop where I bought my bike does:
Of the bikes where I'm familiar with the list price, he's always under
the list price, but doesn't haggle. He's always willing to answer
questions, and I try to return the favor by buying stuff from him when
he's at least close to what I can find it for elsewhere (mail order,
that is; there's very little difference between his price and that of
other shops in the area).

newsgroups if possible).