How to increase speed?

Old July 27th 04, 05:59 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

Default How to increase speed?

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 16:09, Luigi de Guzman wrote:
Yeah. Like Induráin!

I am a moron. I should have typed "Like Merckx!" but was thinking of
Induráin for some reason. blah.

Moreover, it's InduraÃ*n.
Old July 27th 04, 06:03 PM
Diablo Scott

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 16:09, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Yeah. Like Induráin!

I am a moron. I should have typed "Like Merckx!" but was thinking of
Induráin for some reason. blah.

Moreover, it's InduraÃ*n.

Vocal accent is on the "a", normal Spanish dipthong with the "i", there
is no written accent mark.
http://www.arrakis.es/~angelman/indu.htm

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old July 27th 04, 06:08 PM
Diablo Scott

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 16:09, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Yeah. Like Induráin!

I am a moron. I should have typed "Like Merckx!" but was thinking of
Induráin for some reason. blah.

Moreover, it's InduraÃ*n.

Vocal accent is on the "a", normal Spanish dipthong with the "ai", no
written accent, no hidden accent on the capital I.

Old July 27th 04, 06:27 PM
Jenko

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
On Tuesday 27 July 2004 16:09, Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Yeah. Like Induráin!

I am a moron. I should have typed "Like Merckx!" but was thinking of
Induráin for some reason. blah.

Moreover, it's InduraÃ*n.

No, no, no. He should have typed Merkxs.

Jenko
Old July 27th 04, 06:55 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:21:15 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

The gist was that VO2peak while running or cycling is the same for a
sufficiently trained athlete. Only the un- or under-trained subject
will show VO2peak differences between running and cycling.

How does someone use information about VO2peak in designing training?

JT

Old July 27th 04, 08:22 PM
Frank Miles

In article BWqNc.170621$IQ4.91617@attbi_s02,
Peter Cole wrote:
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message
Peter Cole wrote:
|| I wouldn't worry too much about cadence, just do what feels natural.

What if grinding up a hill at 40cad feels natural? Will that be good for the
knees in the long run?

Peak pedal force is the same, whether pedaling at 40 rpm or not. Climbing is
no different than sprinting. I don't know of anyone who damaged their knees
from cycling, it's generally used as a therapy for people who have damaged
their knees doing other things.

While on a loaded bike tour in the Canadian Rockies, one of the riders
(thinking he was in a lower gear than he actually was) really honked up a
mountain road. He complained of knee pain all the next day, and dropped out
of the tour the day after that. Hard to know exactly what happened to the
tissues: was it bone? cartilage? tendon? mental?

In any event your claim that you cannot damage knees in cycling seems far
too broad to be correct, though probably true for most it may not hold for
some, especially with unknown uniquely weird knees.

-frank
Old July 27th 04, 09:32 PM
Peter Cole

Peter Cole wrote:

Peak pedal force is the same, whether pedaling at 40 rpm or not. Climbing

is
no different than sprinting. I don't know of anyone who damaged their knees
from cycling, it's generally used as a therapy for people who have damaged
their knees doing other things.

While on a loaded bike tour in the Canadian Rockies, one of the riders
(thinking he was in a lower gear than he actually was) really honked up a
mountain road. He complained of knee pain all the next day, and dropped out
of the tour the day after that. Hard to know exactly what happened to the
tissues: was it bone? cartilage? tendon? mental?

In any event your claim that you cannot damage knees in cycling seems far
too broad to be correct, though probably true for most it may not hold for
some, especially with unknown uniquely weird knees.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, just that I didn't know of anyone who has. I
know a lot of riders who put in a lot of miles. The idea that low cadence is
in itself harmful is particularly dubious (which was the context & the
argument for spinning). Cycling has neither impact or twisting forces, the two
major culprits of knee injury. Sore knees are not necessarily damaged knees.
Things that can happen from bad pedaling style are tendonitis (particularly in
the achilles, which may become permanent) and Morton's neuroma, these are well
known, yet people always fret about knees. I haven't seen those problems
except in rumor/hearsay.

Old July 28th 04, 01:06 PM
Roger Zoul

Peter Cole wrote:
||| What if grinding up a hill at 40cad feels natural? Will that be
||| good for the knees in the long run?
|| Peak pedal force is the same, whether pedaling at 40 rpm or not.
|| Climbing is no different than sprinting. I don't know of anyone who
|| damaged their knees from cycling, it's generally used as a therapy
|| for people who have damaged their knees doing other things.

Well, I don't know what your experience or background is, but I read lots of
people who claim that grinding in too high a gear is one of the two major
reasons for knee pain - and hence is the where the recommendation for
spinning at high cadence originates. Also, your statement suggests that
cycling is never harmful to the knees, which we know is not true -- improper
fit on the bike very definitely can have a negative impact on the knees.

Certainly, it is true that cycling can be beneifical to the knees, but it is
not a foregone conclusion.

Riding speed Daniel Crispin General 34 August 10th 04 04:09 AM
High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget? Lobo Tommy General 24 April 3rd 04 09:01 AM
Average Speed: Hybrid vs. Road Undaunted1 General 4 September 1st 03 06:20 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM