Kerry: Road Bush: Mountain

Old October 17th 04, 05:50 PM

Blair P. Houghton wrote in message .. .
H. M. Leary wrote:
Ičll be glad when this election is over. Then we can get back to complaining
that Gore ( remembe rhim/ ) actually won the election.

Got that covered. See below.

A partial recount does NOT prove your point.

--Blair
"Amateurs."

Standard answer when Gore's tactics after the 2000 election
are mentioned:

Gore was afraid there wasn't enough time to recount the
whole state, but demanded recounts in the four largest
counties start immediately. He sued in the Florida
Supreme Court. It was the Bushies who pushed it up to
their honeypot in the SCOTUS.

Under Florida Code (102.168), Gore was REQUIRED to challenge ALL
COUNTIES, not just 4 DEMOCRAT majority counties. The fact is Gore had
36 days to get a full statewide recount, but Gore was AFRAID that he
would lose. That is why he tried to cherry pick 4 counties that were
friendly to his cause.

"Nobody asked for a contest of the overvotes," Gore lawyer David Boies
told the U.S. Supreme Court in the last hearing.

The media analysis shows that among those 3,690 overvotes that could
be considered legitimate votes, 6 out of 10 were cast for Gore.

"Instead of pursuing overvotes, the Gore team sought manual recounts
of undervotes in four counties: Miami-Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and
Volusia counties."

http://www.sptimes.com/News/111201/L...nt__Bush.shtml

Here. Have some facts. Note that the truth is in choice
#1, "Prevailing Statewide Standard," the method that
would have been used had they recounted the whole state
using the state's existing method:

The TRUTH????? The TRUTH is the NORC did not check every disuputed
ballots, thus it does NOT prove that Gore won Florida under any
circumstances.

The NORC claims that there where approx 180,000 disputed ballots.

http://www.norc.uchicago.edu/fl/press.asp

The Orlando Sentinel backs up this claim, they found that there were
as many as 179,855 disputed ballots.

http://www.co.leon.fl.us/elect/blankspoilFL.pdf

The NORC says that they gained access to 175,010 of the 179,855
disputed ballots, thus their recount did not include all of the
disputed ballots.

rbbomber (rbbomber) wrote in message news7e483417.0308140734.33f500ff):
Here's a bit of a catchup: Because five partisan members of the
U. S. Supreme Court stopped any possibility of an official recount in
Florida in 2000, perhaps the best data we have are from the National
Opinion Research Center's report of the ballots there. Here's the
result:
Nine scenarios were used in NORC's Florida ballot study. Below is
a quick breakdown showing the identifier for each and the result for
each, horse-race style.
1. Prevailing Statewide Standard: GORE WINS
2. Supreme Court 'simple' scenario: BUSH WINS
3. Supreme Court 'complex' scenario: BUSH WINS
4. 67-county custom standards scenario: GORE WINS
5. 2-corners-detached statewide scenario: GORE WINS
6. 'Most inclusive' statewide scenario: GORE WINS
7. 'Most restrictive' statewide scenario: BUSH WINS
8. Gore 4-county recount strategy scenario: BUSH WINS
9. 'Dimples when other dimples present' scenario: GORE WINS"

The most newsworthy scenario at the time was #8, in which Mr. Gore got
exactly what he sought: a recount in four counties he thought
favorable to him and nowhere else. As the media pointed out, he still
lost Florida. To their great credit, the media also reported the
results of NORC's other scenarios (above), but not much attention
seemed to be paid to them at the time.

When the votes were actually counted, Gore won.

PROOF??? Gore fought for 36 days to make sure that ALL ballots were
NOT COUNTED.

Republicans hate facts, and love courts.

Let me know when you decide to post some facts.
Old October 18th 04, 01:57 AM
Curtis L. Russell

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:57:41 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Given that they have competed and committed acts of politics
in order to get into a position where their party will nominate
them, it's more than a good bet that they will always vote for
the ticket listed with them on the ballot.

Except they haven't always voted. In fact, both parties have groups
active on identifying potential wayward electoral college voters.

That you have a clear record of deliberate exaggeration, if not
outright lies if you go after the 60 pound (no wait, you got them up
to 70 with them being double the size of a 35 pound dog), this is
where I stop wasting time on a teenager who sould spend more time
studying. Anything.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

#1, "Prevailing Statewide Standard," the method that
[...]

Such facts as can be ascertained have been posted, Mark, many times.
Where we can agree, I believe, is that we'll never know which 2000
presidential candidate got most votes in Florida, and, thus, never
know who won in the Electoral College.
The reason we won't know, of course, is that five radical partisan
members of the U. S. Supreme Court chose to substitute their judgment
for that of Florida's voters. Let's do what we can to assure that that
does not happen in 2004.
--Russ
Old October 18th 04, 03:12 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:57:41 +0000, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:20:48 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Since the elctoral college voters are not bound by the votes of the
people,

...In some states...

In all states.

There
is nothing preventing them from putting Joe Liebermann in as president
and John McCain in as Vice-President, for instance.

The people vote for the electoral college who usually, but not absolutely
always, votes the ticket they are supposed to represent.

Last time some elector actually voted for someone other than who he/she
was pledged to was 1972. He voted for the Libertarians. In 2000, an
elector from DC abstained, and in 1988, an elector swapped prez/veep
votes. Both of these were protests.

The ballot (here in Arizona, for one) lists the names of the electors
for each candidate.

Some states do list them, others don't.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 18th 04, 06:00 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:57:41 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Given that they have competed and committed acts of politics
in order to get into a position where their party will nominate
them, it's more than a good bet that they will always vote for
the ticket listed with them on the ballot.

Except they haven't always voted. In fact, both parties have groups
active on identifying potential wayward electoral college voters.

You don't read very well.

That you have a clear record of deliberate exaggeration, if not
outright lies if you go after the 60 pound (no wait, you got them up
to 70 with them being double the size of a 35 pound dog), this is
where I stop wasting time on a teenager who sould spend more time
studying. Anything.

Hey. ****head. Check this out:

http://www.uticaod.com/outdoors/colu...si/john107.htm

--Blair
"You just learned something."
Old October 18th 04, 06:10 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:20:48 GMT, Blair P. Houghton wrote:

Since the elctoral college voters are not bound by the votes of the
people,

...In some states...

In all states.

"In twenty-four states, electors face no punishment if
they change their pledged vote. "
http://www.edhelper.com/ReadingComprehension_34_47.html

Here's about 20,000 more places to check that fact:
http://www.google.com/search?q=elect...utf-8&oe=utf-8

There
is nothing preventing them from putting Joe Liebermann in as president
and John McCain in as Vice-President, for instance.

The people vote for the electoral college who usually, but not absolutely
always, votes the ticket they are supposed to represent.

Last time some elector actually voted for someone other than who he/she
was pledged to was 1972. He voted for the Libertarians. In 2000, an
elector from DC abstained, and in 1988, an elector swapped prez/veep
votes. Both of these were protests.

Yes, it doesn't happen often. That's the result of the
political part of the process that selects loyal thralls,
rather than the law, because even with official sanctions
the civilly disobedient will commit the proscribed act
and take the punishment as a point of pride.

The ballot (here in Arizona, for one) lists the names of the electors
for each candidate.

Some states do list them, others don't.

I don't recall them being on the ballot last time; but they
were pretty clearly listed on the sample I got in the mail
yesterday.

--Blair
"Handy, that."
Old October 18th 04, 06:12 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Pete wrote:
"Blair P. Houghton" wrote

And Saddam, by 2003, had no
weapons of mass destruction.

When did this statement become true? Name the day.

You name the day it became false, and GW Bush will find
you a job in his administration.

He knew he had no credible evidence, and lied about it,
saying he had incontrovertible evidence.

On White House letterhead, no less:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021014-4.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021028-5.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021028-4.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021031-1.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021101-5.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021102-2.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021102-3.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021103-2.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021103-1.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021103-3.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021104-9.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021104-7.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0021104-5.html
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0030317-7.html

Instead of asking impertinent questions, how about evaluating
the pertinent facts?

--Blair
"Bush lied."

#1, "Prevailing Statewide Standard," the method that
[...]

We already know beyond a shadow of a doubt who won the Electoral
College. The challenge by the Democrats to Bush's Florida Electors
failed. No a single Democrat, in the Senate that they controlled,
would support that challenge.

The reason we won't know, of course, is that five radical partisan
members of the U. S. Supreme Court chose to substitute their judgment
for that of Florida's voters. Let's do what we can to assure that that
does not happen in 2004.
--Russ

You are completely ignoring the ramifications of the Electoral Count
Act of 1887, and the actions of the FSC.

Under that act, there was no remedy available to Gore that would have
allowed the court to remove state certification from Bush and award it
to Gore. Thus, Gore's only recourse after state certification had been
given was in Congress, not the courts. Of course, we all watched this
attempted fail. In fact, it was Gore himself who rule the challenge
out of order.

From The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer, 12/12/2000.......

"More political than legal"

MARGARET WARNER: Stuart Taylor, weigh in on this. What do you see
could be the reason for, or the benefit to Republicans of the Bush
forces to have the Florida legislature act?

STUART TAYLOR: I think I agree with the thrust of what has been said,
which is it's more a political benefit than legal. There are already
Bush electors sitting - figuratively speaking -- in Washington, D.C.
Nothing makes them disappear. The legislature weighing in is probably
a debating point for people in Congress who want to say, here's
another reason we should take the Bush electors if it ever comes to
that.

MARGARET WARNER: So you don't think they're afraid, though, that there
could be a court ordered recount and a court could order the current
slate of Bush electors replaced, say, with a Gore slate?

STUART TAYLOR: I suppose that's a remote contingency. But my reading
of the United States Code provisions, which Congress passed in 1887 on
this, is that it would violate federal law for any court to try and
make the slate of electors that's already certified disappear, and
that if you get another slate certified, the solution is Congress
figures out which ones to count and the courts have no part in it.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/elect...gal_12-12.html

"CONGRESSWOMAN BARBARA LEE AND CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS OPPOSE
FLORIDA ELECTORAL COLLEGE VOTES"

Washington, DC - Congresswoman Barbara Lee today joined members of the
Congressional Black Caucus in opposition to counting Florida's 25
electoral college votes for George W. Bush.

A formal objection to counting Florida's electoral votes must be
presented in writing, signed by at least one Senator and one
Representative, under 3 U.S.C. section 15. Unfortunately, not one
single Member of the Senate submitted an objection, thereby rendering
the objection out of order.

http://www.house.gov/lee/releases/01Jan06.

Upholding the 7-0 ruling of the FSC, i.e. that the 12th was the final
deadline does NOT make them "radical partisans", it goes to show that
the court was BI-PARTISANS. The radicals were the 4 members of the SC
who forgot that the US Constitution gives the exclusive right to enact
election law to the State Legislatures. They should know that the
Court does NOT have the authority usurp the power let to the
legislature.

From: Palm Beach County Canvassing Board vs. Katherine Harris,
11/21/2000.

"Ignoring the county's returns is a drastic measure and is appropriate
only if the returns submitted the Department so late that their
inclusion will compromise the integrity of the electoral process in
either of two way: (1) by precluding a candidate, elector, or taxpayer
from contesting the certification of an election pursuant to section
102.168; or (2) by precluding Florida voters from participating fully
in the federal electoral process." (reference to footnote 55)

"Footnote #55 See: 3 U.S.C. § § 1-10 (1994)."

The Safe Harbor date can be found in the above US Code.

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/election/sc00-2346.pdf

Also see their decision on 12/11/2000

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/election/...346-remand.pdf

George Bush crashes mountain bike, again dreaded Social Issues 0 July 27th 04 07:04 AM
Lance vs George W Bush John Racing 0 July 20th 04 06:30 AM
Bush crashes mountain biking. Callistus Valerius Racing 36 May 26th 04 04:42 PM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 07:52 AM