My New $8 Rockhopper

Old March 21st 05, 01:01 AM
maxo

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:22:03 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

"maxo" wrote in message
news
btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

'88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
Specialized lineup from that year, I wanted one in high school, but had to
settle for a Shogun Prairie Breaker. LOL.

The indexing works like a charm after a clean and a lube.

6 speeds is plenty for a guy that is used to riding a single.

Again, I must repeat, not a single scratch on the paint rims or anything.

I can't decide on whether to ride the thing in the woods or make it into a
utility bike...it rolls so sweetly on pavement with the 1.5 slicks, I just
need to hack four inches off the bars...

Old March 21st 05, 05:11 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new! I am removing the
hideous decals and the one on the bottom tube is being a pain. Any hints
other than a hair dryer & nailpolish remover?

Some folks like Goo Gone[tm]. I've never used it,
so I don't know if it might attack the paint.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 21st 05, 06:38 AM
maxo

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:11:12 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

Some folks like Goo Gone[tm]. I've never used it, so I don't know if it
might attack the paint.

good stuff if you need it, but probably the scariest solvent I've ever
used--it's collection of lengthy carbon chains will give you a buzz you'll
never forget--wicked wicked fumes.

Might have to buy another can, or try another one of my least favourite
solvents, throttle body cleaner. Respirator recommended.

At least the decals weren't clear coated--the eighties were a bad era for
graphic design and I need all the help I can get.

aside: I took it for a little beer run this eve and was again
impressed--such a supple little ride, considering the compact frame, and
to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of indexed shifting (except off
road where it's a godsend), but those first generation Deore thumbshifters
are as good as it gets--up there with indexed bar-ends. Simple, not
"integrated" with anything, and straightforward.
Old March 21st 05, 07:17 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

aside: I took it for a little beer run this eve and was again
impressed--such a supple little ride, considering the compact frame, and
to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of indexed shifting (except off
road where it's a godsend), but those first generation Deore thumbshifters
are as good as it gets--up there with indexed bar-ends. Simple, not
"integrated" with anything, and straightforward.

Slightly undersized frames and sloping downtubes can be
convenient for times when you've gotta mount by stepping
through.

My rear der's thumbshifter has more clicks than the 6-speed
FW has sprockets. I never did get it set up to
2 clicks = 1 shift all across the spread (but I didn't try
all that hard.) Ended up having to count clicks. Shifting
from one of the sprockets to the next took 3 clicks instead
of 2. But it helped me keep track of where I was in the
shift pattern. Maybe it's supposed to be like that? I dunno.

cheers,
Tom

Old March 21st 05, 01:33 PM
RonSonic

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:02:57 GMT, maxo wrote:

Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

It's a late eighties I think with full Deore, including hubs. Not a single
chip in the paint believe it or not. The drivetrain shows zero wear. The
rims are groovy dark anodized Saturae's (Specialized house brand with a
neat round shape)--again with zero brake pad wear.
Spokes seem to be Wheelsmith.

Tires are brand new 26x1.5" Panaracer slicks, the Blackburn rack appears
to be unused, with no wear marks.

Freaky! I've been looking for an old hard-tail to make into a city beater,
but thought I'd spend a fifty on it and then have to spend another hundred
on fresh cables, tires, rack, and whatnot.

It's a size too small, so I'll have to buy a new seatpost--it's an inch
above the limit in the pic. Feels right though.

Eight dollar brand new Rockhopper. [does a little dance]

pictu
http://photos5.flickr.com/6883710_4c3601909f_b.jpg

That's my kind of shopping.

Great score!

Ron

Old March 21st 05, 02:45 PM
Claire Petersky

news

"maxo" wrote in message
news
btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

'88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
Specialized lineup from that year,

Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having that
cool paint job available.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:
See the books I've set free at:

Old March 21st 05, 05:01 PM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:45:37 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

news

"maxo" wrote in message
news
btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

'88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
Specialized lineup from that year,

Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having that
cool paint job available.

Cool paint job, oh dear! It really only looks good when I ride it with my
'flashdance' sweatshirt on.

LOL

Old March 21st 05, 05:56 PM
Bob M

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:01:19 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:45:37 -0800, Claire Petersky wrote:

news

"maxo" wrote in message
news
btw, it's cleaned up looking literally like brand new!

What a fab bike! You are very lucky. What year is it? 1986?

'88 first year of indexing Deore I believe. It's in the middle of the
Specialized lineup from that year,

Mine's an '88, too, and it has indexing. But I don't remember having
that
cool paint job available.

Cool paint job, oh dear! It really only looks good when I ride it with my
'flashdance' sweatshirt on.

LOL

I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
"click shifting"). I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light, and
cheap.

--
Bob in CT
Old March 21st 05, 07:43 PM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:56:53 -0500, Bob M wrote:

I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
"click shifting"). I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light, and
cheap.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong--perhaps 88 was when they started coming with
full Deore group, which made the bike a really great value in its day.

My first MTB in 85 had bull moose handlebars and friction shift shimano. I
upgraded to some gorgeous and indestructable Suntour solid aluminum
thumbthifters with a micro-ratcheting mechanism. I wish I could recall the
model. :/

Yeah, the non integrated shifter really opens up all kinds of
possibilities when resurrecting an older mtb.
Old March 21st 05, 08:04 PM
Bob M

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:43:32 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:56:53 -0500, Bob M wrote:

I had a Rockhopper in 86 and it had indexing (by this, I think you mean
"click shifting"). I still miss thumb shifters -- easy to use, light,
and
cheap.

Maybe I'm thinking wrong--perhaps 88 was when they started coming with
full Deore group, which made the bike a really great value in its day.

My first MTB in 85 had bull moose handlebars and friction shift shimano.
upgraded to some gorgeous and indestructable Suntour solid aluminum
thumbthifters with a micro-ratcheting mechanism. I wish I could recall
the
model. :/

Yeah, the non integrated shifter really opens up all kinds of
possibilities when resurrecting an older mtb.

I still long for $500 or $800 bikes that are the value those were (of
course, now we have full or at least front suspension, which I'd much
rather have).

--
Bob in CT

Rockhopper down cc Mountain Biking 12 August 16th 04 10:53 PM
Specialized Rockhopper Comp aTmSpectre Mountain Biking 1 July 22nd 04 12:50 AM
Is it better to upgrade the components on my 10 yr old frame, orbuy a new bike? Paul Mountain Biking 9 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Ruined my Rockhopper - need used recommendation Dan Mountain Biking 3 February 24th 04 05:15 AM
Advice on Hardtail under $700 Greg Smith Off Road 1 August 29th 03 02:00 PM