Having a teen ride to school - endangerment?

Old June 4th 05, 07:17 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"AustinMN" wrote:

Claire wrote:
snip

So, what do you think? Endangerment?

No, not endangerment.

But...I have a much more effective technique up my sleeve, should I need it.

So far, my ds (14) has been very responsible about getting out the door on
time (missed the bus twice in a year). If he were to make it a habit, I
would shortcut the bus route to get to a stop before the bus. I would then
wait for the bus to arrive, and make a point of giving him a hug and kiss
before he got on the bus. I'm sure getting a hug and kiss from his father
in front of a whole busload of friends (or enemies, for that matter) would
be much more effective than making him ride his bike 20 miles.

I'd like to see someone decide a hug and a kiss is endangerment.

Austin

I used to tell my kids that if they were caught skipping school, I'd
attend school WITH them to make sure they went to all their classes --
and I'd wear my pink fuzzy jogging suit (they refused to be seen in
public with me when I was wearing it, as they all thought it was
phenominally ugly).

Actually when my oldest WAS skipping, I DID attend classes with her for
a full day (which she found pretty humiliating), but I didn't add to
her humiliation by wearing ugly clothes.

Old June 4th 05, 07:21 PM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
"Matt O'Toole" wrote:

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

2) are we talking about high school? If so, 18+ is rather
old, but not extremely so (Len may have been born late
in the year and so started later, or failed a grade, or
had to miss a year for medical reasons.)

Very few kids graduate from high school before their 18th birthday.
Graduating after their 19th birthday is not terribly uncommon, either.
This time of year, most seniors are 18, so there is nothing at all
unusual about an 18 year old being in high school.

That doesn't make sense. Almost half the student body in a typical American
high school would be18, if you figure half the kids are born between the usual
age/grade cutoff date in December, and graduation in mid-June. I was born in
January, so I was one of the oldest in my class.

Matt O.

Actually, well over half of the high school seniors are 18 when they
graduate -- the age/grade cuttoff varies all over the country, but when
my kids started school it was September 1 or October 1 (October for the
older child, who then graduated at 17, September for the younger two,
who graduated at the more typical age of 18.)

Of the six kids in my family, five of us were 18 when we graduated, one
was 17.

In a quick survey of friends whose kids have graduated in the past five
years or so, almost all of their kids graduated at 18; one was 17, and
one was 19.

I was 17.5 since the cut-off when I went to school was in mid Nov, and
my bd was just a couple days earlier (we had half years back then).,
and my sister was 16 (she skipped 1st grade) or had just turned 17
depending on when graduation was because her bd was at the very
beginning of June.. DH was 18 - he's a year and 8 months older than I
am and he was a year ahead of me in school. We met in HS BTW.

DD#1 and DD#2 were 17 because they turned 18 in the fall of the year
they graduated. DD#3 was 18 because her birthday was in May before
graduation, and DS who was red-shirted was 18.5 because his birthday
was in January.

grandma Rosalie
Old June 4th 05, 09:52 PM
Matt O'Toole

Shelly wrote:

I never rode to high school, but biked 18 miles each way in college
when I was still living at home. It really isn't as far as it sounds
for someone who is in shape and used to riding. Of course, I'd have a
hard time doing it now! And rain and snow are just part of the
joys of commuting by bike where I am from.

I feel that way about it too. In CA I used to pay $45 for a lift ticket to get
the same kind of thrill! Now I get it for free. I spent most of my high school
years another country, where hardly anyone rode bikes. Everyone took public
transport and walked. No one was chauffered either -- that was considered
babyish, even if it was pouring rain. If kids were driven to school they would
get dropped off around the corner so no one would see, especially if their
parents had a fancy car. The only thing worse than being a baby was being a
posh baby. Most kids would arrive soaked to the core before being chauffered.

When I came back to my US high school, most people still rode bikes. There were
so many that the bike corrals were full. If you didn't get there early enough
it was hard to find anything but a chain link fence to lock to. It was only
after I graduated in '82 that bike use started to decline. By the time my
brother's class got through in '89, hardly anyone rode anymore.

Matt O.

Old June 4th 05, 11:18 PM
Penny Gaines

Barbara Bomberger wrote:

The twenty miles sounds like an exxageration.

It sounds like it could be a car driver's "20 miles", which IME is
anything between 15 miles and 30 miles.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old June 6th 05, 02:40 PM
tracert

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
Barbara Bomberger wrote:

The twenty miles sounds like an exxageration.

It sounds like it could be a car driver's "20 miles", which IME is
anything between 15 miles and 30 miles.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

FWIW, the OP said that SHE lived 20 miles from her kids high school...not
that the biking kid did.