Those OLN TdF guys

Old July 9th 05, 01:24 PM
Ken M

Default Those OLN TdF guys

Just curious, does anyone know if any of them were ever professional
cyclists? That Phil Ligget guy looks like he might have had a cyclists
build at one time. I tried googling his name any all I came up with was
a bunch of links to OLN stuff.

Ken

Old July 9th 05, 01:32 PM

Bob roll is is of the fools who claimed to have "invented" mtn biking.
He tried road racing but wasnt great

Old July 9th 05, 01:56 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

At 9 Jul 2005 05:24:16 -0700, message
.com was posted by
"Ken M" , including some, all or none of the
following:

Just curious, does anyone know if any of them were ever professional
cyclists? That Phil Ligget guy looks like he might have had a cyclists
build at one time.

Phil Liggett is President of CTC, the UK's national cyclists'
organisation. The press release when he was awarded his MBE said:

"Phil Liggett trained as a journalist and worked for Cycling magazine,
holding freelance positions with the Guardian and Observer before
being appointed in 1997 as international editor of Cycle Sport
magazine. In addition, he has written a number of books including The
Tour de France 1988 and 1989.

"Phil was technical director of the Tour of Britain Milk Race
organisation between 1972 and 1993. He rose to become vice president
of the Association Internationale Organisateurs des Course Cycliste.

"Throughout his career, Phil has worked as a volunteer for a wide
range of UK cycling organisations. He became the youngest
international cycling commissaire in 1973, following which he refereed
the tours of Zambia, Egypt and world championships (1975). He still
holds his 'A' class Olympic diploma. "

He is a very keen cyclist, regularly leading rides in the UK (there is
a series called the "Phil & Friends" rides) but not, as far as I know,
ever a pro.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 9th 05, 01:57 PM
araby

"Ken M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just curious, does anyone know if any of them were ever professional
cyclists? That Phil Ligget guy looks like he might have had a cyclists
build at one time. I tried googling his name any all I came up with was
a bunch of links to OLN stuff.

Ken

Phil Sherwen is a 7 time TdeF rider and Phil Ligget has been involved with
all aspects of cycling for many years. In fact he is something of a cycling
icon in the UK, is President of the CTC. Frankie Andrau(sp?) competed in 9
TdeF's. Bob Roll competed four times and was a leading US rider. Member of
the Cycling Hall of Fame
See:
http://ww2.olntv.com/tdf04/

Old July 9th 05, 06:20 PM
Steve B.

wrote in message
Bob roll is is of the fools who claimed to have "invented" mtn biking.
He tried road racing but wasnt great

Bob Roll - from the Mt. Bike Hall of Fame resume:

"He began in 1981, went to Europe in 1985, and competed - for team 7-Eleven,
Motorola, and Z - in four Tours de France."

"He was the first American bike racer to compete in both a Tour de France
and a mountain bike world cup."

"Bob raced in seven Paris-Roubaix events."

In my book, anybody who can ride at that level deserves the term "Great".

SB

Old July 9th 05, 08:32 PM
Chris Neary

Bob Roll - from the Mt. Bike Hall of Fame resume:

"He began in 1981, went to Europe in 1985, and competed - for team 7-Eleven,
Motorola, and Z - in four Tours de France."

"He was the first American bike racer to compete in both a Tour de France
and a mountain bike world cup."

"Bob raced in seven Paris-Roubaix events."

In my book, anybody who can ride at that level deserves the term "Great".

He may not have been great, but he was "damn good". His diaries in Velonews
from Europe are legendary (and off the wall).

A little known fact that is that Lance reached his decision to resume racing
after his cancer on a cycling trip in North Carolina. He invited one guy to
be a riding companion - Bob Roll.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh
Old July 9th 05, 09:54 PM
psycholist

"Chris Neary" wrote in message
[...]

That's not at all a little-known fact. It's a story that's been told over
and over and over and over and over and ...

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Old July 9th 05, 10:22 PM
Chris Neary

That's not at all a little-known fact. It's a story that's been told over
and over and over and over and over and ...

Mine is the first-ever mention of this story on r.b.misc, according to the
all-knowing and wise Google.

Old July 10th 05, 01:31 AM
Frank Drackman

"Chris Neary" wrote in message
That's not at all a little-known fact. It's a story that's been told
over
and over and over and over and over and ...

Mine is the first-ever mention of this story on r.b.misc, according to the
all-knowing and wise Google.

You have got to be kidding me. It has been in books, magazine articles, and
on OLN hundreds of times in the last 7 years. It has not been mention here
lately is because it isn't news.

Old July 10th 05, 04:58 AM
Chris Neary

That's not at all a little-known fact. It's a story that's been told
over
and over and over and over and over and ...

Mine is the first-ever mention of this story on r.b.misc, according to the
all-knowing and wise Google.

You have got to be kidding me. It has been in books, magazine articles, and
on OLN hundreds of times in the last 7 years. It has not been mention here
lately is because it isn't news.

$5 if you can find it in the r.b.m achieves.

Post a reference and the money is yours.

Chris Neary

"We will teach our twisted speech to the young believers"
-- The Clash