This is off topic some ... but on topic also... make up your mind

Old November 7th 05, 11:08 PM
Thomas Wentworth

Default This is off topic some ... but on topic also... make up your mind

I am thinking of a Europe tour this spring. But, I have lots of time off so
I want to go to Europe by ship. Why? I have no idea. It is just something
I have always thought would be interesting to do.

I wonder, is there some ship that will get me to Europe? Not a cruise ship,
but a ship, ship.

I figure it won't be a big problem bringing my bicycle and gear.

Where can I find out about the ship, ship. I am in New England .. how
about in NY, NY. Figure there must be lots of ships going to Europe from
there.

Any ideas?

Old November 8th 05, 12:23 AM
DrLith

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
I am thinking of a Europe tour this spring. But, I have lots of time off so
I want to go to Europe by ship. Why? I have no idea. It is just something
I have always thought would be interesting to do.

I wonder, is there some ship that will get me to Europe? Not a cruise ship,
but a ship, ship.

I figure it won't be a big problem bringing my bicycle and gear.

Where can I find out about the ship, ship. I am in New England .. how
about in NY, NY. Figure there must be lots of ships going to Europe from
there.

Any ideas?

Google transatlantic freighter cruise
Old November 8th 05, 12:41 AM
Mike Causer

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:08:11 +0000, Thomas Wentworth wrote:

I am thinking of a Europe tour this spring. But, I have lots of time off
so I want to go to Europe by ship. Why? I have no idea. It is just
something I have always thought would be interesting to do.

I wonder, is there some ship that will get me to Europe? Not a cruise
ship, but a ship, ship.

Spring? Hell no, you want, *need* to be in France in July!

For ships it's probably still possible. Gavin Young went around the world
in freighters and wrote about it in "Slow boat to China" and "Slow boats
home". Well worth a read because he goes into how he found each berth as
well as describing the voyages.

You might want to check around the fancy yacht clubs and offer your
services for ferrying someone else's boat across. Assuming you've got the
necessary skills, clothing, etc. Would work, but the timing might be
completely wrong. And you might finish with a complete circumnavigation ;-)

Mike
Old November 8th 05, 03:54 AM
Bob

Thomas Wentworth wrote:
I am thinking of a Europe tour this spring. But, I have lots of time off so
I want to go to Europe by ship. Why? I have no idea. It is just something
I have always thought would be interesting to do.

I wonder, is there some ship that will get me to Europe? Not a cruise ship,
but a ship, ship.

I figure it won't be a big problem bringing my bicycle and gear.

Where can I find out about the ship, ship. I am in New England .. how
about in NY, NY. Figure there must be lots of ships going to Europe from
there.

Any ideas?

Posting this in misc.transport.marine would likely result in more
information. At least you might get an idea of where to look.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old November 8th 05, 01:52 PM
LF

Things might have changed a bit since he went, probably in the late
1970s. But, I'm sure it's a good read. I think it's possible, once a
year, to go transatlantic via small mail boats up the Canadian coast
Greenland Denmark. A ship from Greenland returns anually to Denmark for maintenance in late May or early June, when the icebergs have receded.

LF

Old November 8th 05, 05:33 PM
Matt O'Toole

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:41:21 +0000, Mike Causer wrote:

[...]

Without considerable experience, it's unlikely you'll get such a passage
on a private yacht, even as a generous personal favor.

Freighter travel is available, but it's definately not an economy choice.
Try http://www.travltips.com/freighterdirectory.html

Matt O.

Old November 8th 05, 10:46 PM
The Wogster

Matt O'Toole wrote:
[...]

You could make it an economy choice, I am sure that common deck hands
are always in need. Someone could go to the docks, and see about
getting a "gofer" type job on a ship, it could be peeling potatoes in
the kitchen to washing dishes, to swabbing decks, to anything else that
doesn't require major skills. If your good with on-job-training, you
could get the skills needed to do other work. You could work a ship
going to Europe (you get paid, plus R&B while your at sea), then ride
around Europe until your funds get low, then go back to a port, and book
yourself onto a ship going home, or head somewhere else.

One big issue, very few freighters have English speaking crews....