Spoke threads exposed on new wheel - Safe?

Old October 31st 03, 05:36 PM
Dave S

Default Spoke threads exposed on new wheel - Safe?

Last night, I built a new rear wheel for cross riding using a Record
36 hole hubs, a Ritchey OCR Comp rim (called Trekking on web site) and
DT 14/15 spokes.

In doing the research, I noticed that Ritchey's web site gave the ERD
as 596 mm whereas Damon Rinard's Spocalc gave it as 605 mm. Perhaps
Ritchey has redesigned the rims?

At any rate, I called Ritchey and the rep talked to a wheel builder
who gave the ERD 599. Hmm... Right between the two values...

I plugged the 599 value in Spocalc and built the wheel using 290's on
the left and 288's on the right. At this point, I've tensioned them
to 70 kg on the left and 115 on the right.

On inspection, I noticed that the left side as 2-3 threads exposed all
around whereas the right side has 5-6 threads exposed. I'm comcerned
that the spokes are too short and I don't have enough threads embedded
in the brass nipples.

Is this wheel safe or should I rebuild it with longer spokes?

Thx, Dave
Old October 31st 03, 07:57 PM
S. Anderson

"Dave S" wrote in message
om...
Last night, I built a new rear wheel for cross riding using a Record
36 hole hubs, a Ritchey OCR Comp rim (called Trekking on web site) and
DT 14/15 spokes.

On inspection, I noticed that the left side as 2-3 threads exposed all
around whereas the right side has 5-6 threads exposed. I'm comcerned
that the spokes are too short and I don't have enough threads embedded
in the brass nipples.

Is this wheel safe or should I rebuild it with longer spokes?

Rebuild it. 1 or 2 is ok in a pinch. 5 or 6 is NFG. Especially on the
drive side.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old October 31st 03, 08:12 PM
Mark Vieselmeyer

Dave S wrote:
[...]

I also had less than ideal results with an OCR rim. I just built a wheel
with a Ritchey Aero Road OCR rim that spocalc lists as 606mm, and I ended
up with about 1mm protruding out the back end of the nipples. Looking at
spocalc again, it has in parentheses "ERD is nipple contact dia + 3mm for
nipples". Does that comment mean I needed to make some adjustment to the
numbers before plugging them into the calculator? I know I had the right
hub dimensions, because I verified them calipers. Anyone have a good
technique for measuring ERD?

- mark

Old October 31st 03, 10:39 PM
A Muzi

Dave S wrote:

[...]

The 2mm showing on the left is trivial but the right needs
to be redone. Just curious but what lengths did you use?
Normally rights are 2mm shorter than lefts.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old October 31st 03, 11:28 PM
daveornee

It is a pain to get the wheel built and find out the spokes aren't the
correct length. The Ritchey PRO Trekker Girders I have measure ERD 605
mm. I used 294 mm right and 296 mm left. The spoke length came in fine
on my Shimano XTR and DURA ACE hubs.

Mine are 32 spoke 3X. Where did you find the 36 hole version?

--
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL USA

Old October 31st 03, 11:28 PM
daveornee

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article ,
says...
[...]

I would rebuild with the proper length spoke. I sounds like your spokes
are too short by a few mm. If you look at your spoke nipples you can see
that they are not threaded all the way. About half the nipple is
unthreaded. So if you can see exposed threads, there are more unexposed
threads that are not engaging the nipple.
---------------
Alex

I agree with Alex. On the Spoke Calc site there is a way to measure ERD:
Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) is the diameter on which you want the ends
of the spokes to lie. Most people prefer it near the end of the spoke
nipple. If you want to measure your own rim (recommended, just to be
sure), then follow these instructions:

Insert two old spokes into holes exactly opposite each other on the rim.
Count holes to be sure. Screw some nipples onto the spokes. Pull them
tight and measure dimension A in the figure (the diameter to the edge of
the nipples, where the spokes dissapears into them). Do this at several
spots around the rim and average the measurements. Measure the length of
a nipple (dimension B in the figure) and add it twice (once for each
nipple). The result is Effective Rim Diameter (ERD). Thus, ERD = A + 2B.

Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) is the dimension you type into the
spreadsheet for "ERD, effective rim diameter". Of all the dimensions you
actually might measure, ERD is the most critical dimension affecting
spoke length, so it makes sense to measure it a few times at different
places around the rim. Always count to make sure you use spoke holes
that are actually opposite each other!

Old November 1st 03, 02:52 AM
Josh Gatts

daveornee wrote:

I agree with Alex. On the Spoke Calc site there is a way to measure ERD:
Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) is the diameter on which you want the ends
of the spokes to lie. Most people prefer it near the end of the spoke
nipple. If you want to measure your own rim (recommended, just to be
sure), then follow these instructions:

The OP has the advantage of an easy of way of calculating what size
spokes to use for his rebuild: whatever size he used + the length of
exposed thread!

--Josh

Old November 1st 03, 08:22 AM
Carl Fogel

Josh Gatts wrote in message om...
daveornee wrote:

I agree with Alex. On the Spoke Calc site there is a way to measure ERD:
Effective Rim Diameter (ERD) is the diameter on which you want the ends
of the spokes to lie. Most people prefer it near the end of the spoke
nipple. If you want to measure your own rim (recommended, just to be
sure), then follow these instructions:

The OP has the advantage of an easy of way of calculating what size
spokes to use for his rebuild: whatever size he used + the length of
exposed thread!

--Josh

Dear Josh,

You practical devil! Even if there are objections that I
can't imagine, I admire your approach.

You probably know the apocryphal story of Edison asking a
college graduate who wanted to work in his lab to determine
the volume of an empty glass light bulb.

After the slide-rule expert finished laboriously measuring
curves and calculating an approximate answer, Edison taught
him a practical lesson by filling the bulb with water,
pouring the water into a graduated cylinder, and announcing
the exact volume.

Thanks,

Carl Fogel
Old November 1st 03, 03:33 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

On inspection, I noticed that the left side as 2-3 threads exposed all
around whereas the right side has 5-6 threads exposed. I'm comcerned
that the spokes are too short and I don't have enough threads embedded
in the brass nipples. BRBR

They are too short. You could use 16mm nipps tho, which may fix the problem.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302