A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Recumbent Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I am a Rotovelonaut!



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old June 5th 11, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,782
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On Jun 5, 12:12*pm, Tm Shermn _ ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.


Flintstones come to mind, especially when the chain breaks.
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-cont...Rubble-Car.jpg

--
JS
Ads
  #22  
Old June 5th 11, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,270
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/5/2011 2:30 AM, James wrote:
On Jun 5, 12:12�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.


Flintstones come to mind, especially when the chain breaks.
http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-cont...Rubble-Car.jpg


You really should be thanking me for supporting your local economy
(Rotovelos are built in Dromana).

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
  #23  
Old June 7th 11, 12:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn °_°
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 413
Default Pseudo Usenet Cops

On 6/7/2011 12:31 AM, Jym Dyer wrote:
Why does Mr. Dyer think he was appointed as a Usenet policeman.


=x= A policeman enforces laws. I simply criticize. It shouldn't
take too many neurons to discern the difference between the two.

Why is Tom Sherman massively cross-posting off-topic crap ...

If Mr. Dyer followed the development of the thread, the answer
would be obvious.


=x= Why would Mr. Dyer -- or anyone at all for that matter --
give a flying **** about the boring minutiae of whatever new
off-topic side-issue that Tom Sherman flitted off to, in the
manner of a teeny-brained moth? Being a repetitive dimwit
is one thing; taking it to Banana/Ape**** levels of annoyance
with excessive off-topic cross-posting, quite another.
_Jym_


Why does Mr. Dyer hardly ever post anything but complaints about other
person's postings?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
  #24  
Old June 8th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DougC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,276
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. �Handling is standard recumbent trike. �Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.


Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski


No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made kayaks
of recent vintage.


You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.
  #25  
Old June 8th 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn °_°
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 413
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/7/2011 6:56 PM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. �Handling is standard recumbent trike. �Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.

Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski


No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made kayaks
of recent vintage.


You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.


I expect that the composite kayaks are slightly lighter, but more fragile?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
  #26  
Old June 8th 11, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,342
Default Pseudo Usenet Cops

On 6/6/2011 10:31 PM, Jym Dyer wrote:

Being a repetitive dimwit
is one thing; taking it to Banana/Ape**** levels of annoyance
with excessive off-topic cross-posting, quite another.


Global Usenet filters eliminate that problem, and anyone that is really
upset with the excessive off-topic cross-posting can take advantage of
the filtering capability of their newsreader (including Google Groups).

What's a tad annoying is that these posters often will change their
"from" address to try to get around everyone's filters, but if you
design your filters carefully this can usually be solved. They are
professional pests that annoy people that let themselves be annoyed.

You are not going to fix these persons core problems so try to be
compassionate and work around them.
  #27  
Old June 8th 11, 11:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!


"Tm Shermn _" " wrote in message
...
On 6/7/2011 6:56 PM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tm ShermnT _ wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15?pm, T?m Sherm?n? ?_?""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. ?Handling is standard recumbent trike. ?Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.

Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made kayaks
of recent vintage.


You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.


I expect that the composite kayaks are slightly lighter, but more fragile?

--
Tm Shermn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.


Yes. I don't think the composites are appropriate for most general
recreational use.


  #28  
Old June 8th 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
DougC
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,276
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/7/2011 8:34 PM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 6/7/2011 6:56 PM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. �Handling is standard recumbent trike. �Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.

Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made kayaks
of recent vintage.


You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.


I expect that the composite kayaks are slightly lighter, but more fragile?


Usually lighter, compared to a poly boat the same rough dimensions.

Two other reasons they are desirable is 1) the surface finish is
smoother, which some people claim makes a difference in boat speed. 2)
the composite boats are more fragile, but are also much more repairable.

There are sold HDPE "welding kits" for plastic boats, with a few sticks
of the same plastic and instructions on how to apply heat with a heat
gun or soldering/heating iron.

....one example, with pics of use:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

(note that I have not had to use any of these kits yet.... the
urethanesupply kit page above, I just found on Google)

The HDPE plastic does not re-liquify when heated however, it just gets
really soft & tacky. The repair is not as strong as the original
undamaged plastic.

Also, poorly-designed poly boats can develop stress cracks at given
locations and if these are patched with a welding kit, they may still
crack out when the boat is used.
  #29  
Old June 9th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tºm Shermªn °_°
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 413
Default I am a Rotovelonaut!

On 6/8/2011 7:50 AM, DougC wrote:
On 6/7/2011 8:34 PM, Tºm Shermªn °_° wrote:
On 6/7/2011 6:56 PM, DougC wrote:
On 6/4/2011 9:12 PM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 6/4/2011 8:57 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 2, 10:15�pm, T�m Sherm�n� �_�""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
Pictures of my Trisled Rotovelo [1] he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157626747843025/.

First ride around the condo subdivision just to make sure everything
works. �Handling is standard recumbent trike. �Biggest adjustment is
getting in and out.

[1]http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp.

Is this possible?
http://photos.demandstudios.com/12/9...8138912_XS.jpg

- Frank Krygowski

No, since there are foot-holes for "reverse" and ventilation.

However, the body shell is made with similar material (thermoplastic
polymer) and rotational-molding process as most commercially made
kayaks
of recent vintage.


You can still get composite kayaks easily, but not in all models. Sea
kayaks and racing kayaks are still available that way.

They are relatively expensive though, compared to the poly boats.


I expect that the composite kayaks are slightly lighter, but more
fragile?


Usually lighter, compared to a poly boat the same rough dimensions.

Two other reasons they are desirable is 1) the surface finish is
smoother, which some people claim makes a difference in boat speed. 2)
the composite boats are more fragile, but are also much more repairable.

There are sold HDPE "welding kits" for plastic boats, with a few sticks
of the same plastic and instructions on how to apply heat with a heat
gun or soldering/heating iron.

...one example, with pics of use:
http://www.urethanesupply.com/kcwelder.php

(note that I have not had to use any of these kits yet.... the
urethanesupply kit page above, I just found on Google)

The HDPE plastic does not re-liquify when heated however, it just gets
really soft & tacky. The repair is not as strong as the original
undamaged plastic.

Also, poorly-designed poly boats can develop stress cracks at given
locations and if these are patched with a welding kit, they may still
crack out when the boat is used.


My Rotovelo has a steel cruciform frame, so the body is not a structural
member. Composite velomobiles are often monocoque or semi-monocoque.
Both end up weighing about the same, but the paint on the composite
bodies is easily damaged.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.