Dork!

Old July 29th 05, 03:25 PM
MartinM

Default Dork!

after all that whining about how cheap n' nasty Shimano cassettes had
become, I have just found out that the _rivets_ which hold a HG70
together are in fact tiny Allen bolts. Still can't work out the spacing
though, have just constructed a 7 speed cassette out of an 8 speed
(with a few little brother friendly extra grannies thrown in) using the
8 speed spacers and it fits the freehub perfectly. Now to try the 8
speed STI's (hopefully just use 7 of the positions)

Old July 29th 05, 05:17 PM

I think I would have got an 8 speed block 11 to whatever and adjusted
the rear mech so that it would not shift as far as the smallest cog
..Hey presto, a seven speed block.Who needs an 11 tooth cog anyway?
One would need an 8 speed cassette hub instead of 7sp, but as I
understand it that would fit wouldn't it?
I have been doing this until recently then put on a 7sp cassette with a
spacer, but my cassette hub is 8speed.
TerryJ

Old July 30th 05, 10:32 AM
MartinM

I think the narrowness on 8 spd comes from narrower cogs, not spacers.
The smallest cog is now a 13, can't see that ever getting used either.

Old July 30th 05, 05:59 PM
MartinM

Default 7/8 speed sti's

MartinM wrote:
I think the narrowness on 8 spd comes from narrower cogs, not spacers.
The smallest cog is now a 13, can't see that ever getting used either.

well it seems to work, there just is no 8th position, both 7 and 8 are
on the 13T cog

Does anyone know when road STI's were first made? the units seem to
match colour-wise the brake calipers which are 1990 ish 500EX, although
the badges have fallen off.