Sram grip shiftters breakage

Old August 3rd 04, 09:06 PM

Default Sram grip shiftters breakage

Is there somthing wrong with me or does the Sram grip shift shifters break
at the toss of a hat? do any one have a scoop on this and if so what did you
do about it???

Old August 3rd 04, 09:12 PM
frank & alma

I have used them for 4 years on several bikes and never had a problem.

Old August 4th 04, 04:32 AM
Brian

wrote in message
ink.net...
Is there somthing wrong with me or does the Sram grip shift shifters break
at the toss of a hat? do any one have a scoop on this and if so what did

you
do about it???

My LBS keeps a drawerfull of the bloddy things. Apparently, the cheaper

versions are hollow, and break quickly, the more expensive versions are
solid nylon and take a lot more wear. Having used (and serviced) both, I
would have to say this is correct. I have replaced 2 sets of the hollow
version, and none of the solid grip shifter sets.

Old August 4th 04, 07:44 PM
Bob Bryant

I don't think SRAM shifters are as tough as Shimano Rapid Fire and
especially Shimano bar-cons.
I've replaced a few SRAM shifters in the past year - - MRX level or
lower. Twice they failed on the road.
I used to think Rapid Fires were too complex, but I've ridden them
thousands of trouble free miles.
If durability is your #1 goal, opt for bar-cons.
Bob Bryant
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com
Old August 5th 04, 12:50 AM
Tom Sherman

Bob Bryant wrote:

I don't think SRAM shifters are as tough as Shimano Rapid Fire and
especially Shimano bar-cons.
I've replaced a few SRAM shifters in the past year - - MRX level or
lower. Twice they failed on the road.
I used to think Rapid Fires were too complex, but I've ridden them
thousands of trouble free miles.
If durability is your #1 goal, opt for bar-cons.
Bob Bryant
http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode if
the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front bar-end will
easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard chainring spacing,
while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not do so well in these
situations.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old August 5th 04, 09:49 AM
Dave Larrington

Tom Sherman wrote:
The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts.

Does anyone still make proper thumbshifters?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 5th 04, 11:50 PM
Mark Leuck

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
Tom Sherman wrote:
The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts.

Does anyone still make proper thumbshifters?

I can't complain about my cheapie Shimano thumbshifters, keep the cable
adjusted and they seem to work well

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 6th 04, 12:35 AM
M. Chandler

See http://www.paulcomp.com for some very spiffy thumbies.

Old August 6th 04, 02:28 AM
Tom Sherman

Dave Larrington wrote:

Tom Sherman wrote:

The rear Shimano bar-end shifter has the advantage of a friction mode
if the indexing goes off during a ride. In addition, the front
bar-end will easily handle oversized chainrings and non-standard
chainring spacing, while the front Rabidfire (sic) shifter will not
do so well in these situations.

What Tom said. Rabidfires are a Work of Stan and their use should be
strongly deprecated. Bar-end shifters are OK on the trike, with the bars
pointing more or less vertically, but I don't think they mate well with
other steering layouts...

Paul Components "Thumbies" [1] can be used to mount Shimano bar-end
shifters on flat bars.

[1] http://www.paulcomp.com/thumbmtn.html.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area