Unbelivable - no 28" rim tape

Old January 26th 11, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Unbelievable - no 28" rim tape

On 1/25/2011 7:28 PM, landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:04 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 1/25/2011 6:02 PM, kolldata aka AVAGADRO IV/V wrote:

28" WHAT ?

28-inch is a very stupid way to refer to ISO 622-mm rims and tires.

Why don't you invade Sweden, and correct them?

Do they use inches for anything else in Sweden?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 26th 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/26/2011 12:04 AM, Chalo Colina wrote:
Tºm Shermªn aka â€*øm 5h∑rmÂn wrote:

kolldata aka AVAGADRO IV/V wrote:

28" WHAT ?

28-inch is a very stupid way to refer to ISO 622-mm rims and tires.

It's a very German/Dutch way to do so.

Customary wheel size appellations get a pass because they long precede
ISO and ETRTO designations. Use the new terms if they're useful, but
the old terms have standing.

Chalo

When there is a rational and consistent system available (i.e. ISO), the
old and confusing nomenclature should be dropped from new products.

"28-inch" can be either ISO 622-mm or ISO 635-mm, which is not helpful.

"28-inch" for ISO 622-mm is stupid, since it is a smaller diameter than
the "27-inch" ISO 630-mm.

Old January 26th 11, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

Default Unbelivable - no 28" rim tape

On Jan 25, 9:30*pm, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

Chalo wrote:

thirty-six wrote:

pm wrote:

The potential pitfall with plastic strips is in extended braking down
the side of a mountain, this may get the rims hot enough to soften the
strip allowing the tube to burst inwards.

At what temperature does a plastic strip fail?

That would depend on the specifics of both the plastic and the fabric
backing, if any. *So making a generalization along those lines is not
very useful.

I dont want a generalisation, just one example. *I've had my doubts
about them but not for that reason, it seems irellevant to me because
my tyres don't peel off ;-) so I'd like to know what temperature will
break down a plastic rim tape?

Higher than the temperature that turns tubie glue back into chewed
gum.

Chalo

I dont know what temperature you mean, mine doesn't do that.
Old January 26th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 26, 12:02*am, kolldata wrote:
28" WHAT ?

28" (x 1 3/4") being the original tubular size. I've never seen the 1
3/4" designation on a tyre only the actual tyre carcass x-section
which is always in mm today. In normal tyre parlance a typical racing
tyre would be 28" x 1.3/4" x 7/8" bu tyou will see a 28" called a
22mm :-)
Old January 26th 11, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Lehnen[_2_]

landotter wrote:

The plastic strips have been by far the best product in my experience.
The rubber strips, not so much--and they're designed for single wall
rims, anyway. Can't stand cotton tape--the adhesive is either too
strong or non-existent. I'd rather use packing tape or three winds of
electrical tape.

I've had plastic strips (Michelin) turn brittle and fail, but have never
had a problem with Velox or similar cloth tape. Maybe the plastic is OK
in cooler climates than Phoenix.

Dave Lehnen
Old January 26th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 26, 11:08*am, Dave Lehnen wrote:
landotter wrote:

The plastic strips have been by far the best product in my experience.
The rubber strips, not so much--and they're designed for single wall
rims, anyway. Can't stand cotton tape--the adhesive is either too
strong or non-existent. I'd rather use packing tape or three winds of
electrical tape.

I've had plastic strips (Michelin) turn brittle and fail, but have never
had a problem with Velox or similar cloth tape. Maybe the plastic is OK
in cooler climates than Phoenix.

Nashville's pretty brutal in the summer as well. But I easily pulled
off some OEM strips off a wheelset to use on set I'd built. Probably
three years of exposure to heat and cold. As new.
Old January 26th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Chalo wrote:
It's a very German/Dutch way to do so.
Customary wheel size appellations get a pass because they long precede
ISO and ETRTO designations. Use the new terms if they're useful, but
the old terms have standing.

Indeed. How many 26" can you recall?
597
590
584
571
559
and 26x1.375 'lightweight' whatever diameter that was

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 26th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

thirty-six wrote:

Chalo wrote:

thirty-six wrote:

I'd like to know what temperature will
break down a plastic rim tape?

Higher than the temperature that turns tubie glue back into chewed
gum.

I dont know what temperature you mean, mine doesn't do that.

My impression is that Planet Wherever is a cold, rainy place where
people can't even ride fast because their loose-spoked wheels will
fold.

If you don't have to worry about tubie glue softening, then you really
don't have to worry about rim strips softening; that's all.

Chalo
Old January 26th 11, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 26, 6:57*pm, Chalo wrote:
thirty-six wrote:

Chalo wrote:

thirty-six wrote:

I'd like to know what temperature will
break down a plastic rim tape?

Higher than the temperature that turns tubie glue back into chewed
gum.

I dont know what temperature you mean, mine doesn't do that.

My impression is that Planet Wherever is a cold, rainy place where
people can't even ride fast because their loose-spoked wheels will
fold.

If you don't have to worry about tubie glue softening, then you really
don't have to worry about rim strips softening; that's all.

Chalo

But maybe that's because I have magic sprint rims, the magic is a
little thinner with my high pressure wheels and I don't use tub glue
of them so I dont know wether a plastic rim tape would disintergrate,
would this happen before or after my tyre jumped off it's seating
through overheating?
Old January 27th 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 25, 2:25*am, Anton Success wrote:
As my front open pro based wheel was built I have just discovered that
none of the local shops has 28" rim tape!
Aside from the rubbery hideosity that one shop had. At least the clerk
was straightforward telling
me it won't work with high pressure road tubes. Makes me wonder how
much people pump into touring tires.

Anyhow, the 26" rim tape i looked at out of curiosity is a continuous
circle of plastic with no sign of adhesive
on the rim side. Since I got used to the adhesive type of the rim tape
and i assume the local shops
would sell the same plastiky packing straps like contraption when they
get it in 28" variety
i've got to ask what should I expect from it?

as good as the rim tape with adhesive or not?

tnx

Any decent bike shop has bulk Velox in 17mm or rolls for sale. The
fact that none of the LBS around you speaks volumes about your bike
shops specifically and bike shop poorness in general.