Adding more blinkies to my bike - help!

Old February 1st 04, 07:42 PM
Eric Babula

Default Adding more blinkies to my bike - help!

I'm looking to add more blinkies to my bike. I need help on how to
attach them.

I have a Trek 800 Sport. I already have headlights (VistaLite
Nightstick-15), cyclocomputer, reflector, handlebar bag, and cell phone
on handlebars, so that's filled up. On the rear, I have one red blinkie
attached to the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet (duct
taped).

I've been told by people in cars that they can barely see me coming, and
that it's difficult to judge my distance and speed by the little
pinlights of the Nightstick-15. That's why I'm adding more lights -
couldn't hurt to be lit up like a Christmas tree!

I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two
more red blinkies on the rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the
two amber blinkies just above the front fender, spaced apart about 10".
I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC
to my down tube, so that it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any
suggestions?

Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the
rear fender, again spaced apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on
how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get away with just
duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

No, I'm not looking to start another "my bike is better lit than yours"
war. I'm looking for good advice, here. How do you attach a round 1"
pipe to your round downtube? If anyone has suggestions, or, better yet,
a website or pictures I could look at for attachment ideas, please let
me know!

--
Smile!!

__O
_-\ ,_ Eric Babula
(_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old February 1st 04, 08:29 PM
Dan Daniel

On 01 Feb 2004 19:42:23 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

I'm looking for good advice, here. How do you attach a round 1"
pipe to your round downtube? If anyone has suggestions, or, better yet,
a website or pictures I could look at for attachment ideas, please let
me know!

If I was attaching two round tubes, I would use a spindle sander to
make an arced cutout in one tube (obviously the PVC in this case).
Then it would wrap right around the other tube and not rotate.

Then a flexible band of some sort- maybe a large o-ring- could be
used. Put the o-ring around one end of the cut-away tube, place the
tube against the downtube, and pull the o-ring around the back side of
the downtube and then capture the cut-away tube on the other side.
Then slide the cut-away tube into position. With the proper o-ring,
just a little tape would probably stop the whole tube from sliding
down. Or put a metal hose clamp around the downtube to stop any
downward motion. You can use a piece of old inner tube to protect your
frame from the hose clamp.

Then again I wouldn't have a cel phone on my handlebars so I 'd have
room for a real headlight. Five mediocre lights do not a real light
make....

Old February 1st 04, 11:42 PM
Pete

"Eric Babula" wrote

I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two
more red blinkies on the rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the
two amber blinkies just above the front fender, spaced apart about 10".
I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC
to my down tube, so that it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any
suggestions?

2 ea PVC "T", Split one in half across the top of the T. It clamps around
the downtube with hose clamps. Inside, sheet rubber (innertube slice) to
keep it from sliding around. The other part of the T extends out to the
sides to hold the blinkies.

A PVC + would work too. Split along the middle, clamp around the downtube,
and extend outwards

Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the
rear fender, again spaced apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on
how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get away with just
duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

PVC flanges, bolted with a U-bolt.

Sheetmetal, bolted to the rack, extending outwards. Bolt the blinkies to it.
You then have added surface area for reflective tape.

Of course, liberal use of reflective tape would probably work just as well
as adding blinkies (and weight, batteries, complexity)..

Pete

Old February 2nd 04, 03:48 AM
frkrygow

Eric Babula wrote:

I'm looking to add more blinkies to my bike. I need help on how to
attach them.

I have a Trek 800 Sport.

Sorry, but I don't know that model by heart. Does it have drop bars,
mountain bike bars, swept-back handlebars, or what? That can make a
difference.

I already have headlights (VistaLite
Nightstick-15), cyclocomputer, reflector, handlebar bag, and cell phone
on handlebars, so that's filled up. On the rear, I have one red blinkie
attached to the rear rack, and one on the rear of my helmet (duct
taped).

I've been told by people in cars that they can barely see me coming, and
that it's difficult to judge my distance and speed by the little
pinlights of the Nightstick-15. That's why I'm adding more lights -
couldn't hurt to be lit up like a Christmas tree!

Hmmm. This surprises me _greatly_. Have you actually observed your
bike when someone else is riding it for you? Are you sure the person
talking to you was serious and truthful? Under what conditions did they
observe you?

I ask because 15 watts plus blinkies is more than almost everyone uses.
If you have special problems of some sort that a 15 watt system
doesn't solve, it's hard to see how a couple of blinkies are going to
make much difference!

I'm looking to put two amber blinkies on the front of my bike, and two
more red blinkies on the rear, just to be safer. I'm hoping to put the
two amber blinkies just above the front fender, spaced apart about 10".
I was thinking about somehow attaching them to a 1" PVC pipe, so I could
use the quick-release handlebar mounts. But, how do I attach the 1" PVC
to my down tube, so that it doesn't swivel around, or twist? Any
suggestions?

I'm not sure why you want the blinkies to be close to your head tube,
particularly if you use a handlebar bag. First, the handlebar bag is a
more convenient mounting point, and second, the handlebar bag will tend
to hide the blinkies.

If you really like using 1" PVC, you can attach that to your handlebar
bag (just sew on some straps, for example) and mount the blinkies just
to the sides of the bag. Splice in a center Tee fitting and have a
short rearward extension to stabilize it against tipping forward or
sliding sideways.

If you're really wanting to attach the PVC to the headtube, you could
use a pair of stainless steel hose clamps. One around the head tube,
another one linked through it (like links in a logging chain) and around
the PVC.

With a drop bar bike, I've seen someone mount a pipe from side to side,
connecting the ends of the drops. This could give another mounting point.

And of course, there are those Minoura Space Grip things.

Also, I was hoping to put two red blinkies on the rear, just above the
rear fender, again spaced apart with a 1" PVC pipe. Any suggestions on
how one can attach this to my rear rack? I might get away with just
duct taping this to my rear rack, resting on the fender.

Again, use a hose clamp. One should do it.

Do you have reflectors on the bike? Properly done, they're very
effective and a lot less trouble.

And again, have you actually observed the bike at night?

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

Old February 2nd 04, 09:57 AM
Eric Babula

"Pete" wrote in
:

"Eric Babula" wrote

[...]

Thanks, Pete. Something to think about! I already have the blinkies,
so I'd like to use them, somehow.

--
Smile!!

__O
_-\ ,_ Eric Babula
(_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old February 2nd 04, 10:04 AM
Eric Babula

"frkrygow" wrote in
:

Eric Babula wrote:

[...]

The Trek 800 is a low-end mountain bike, so it has upright handle bars.

I have not actually observed my bike when someone else is riding it.
But, one day, on my way to work (in the dark, of course), a woman in a
car was driving toward me. She actually turned around and caught up to
me, and stopped me for a chat. She told me that she was a bicycler too,
and informed me that she was surprised at how difficult it was to judge
my distance and speed with just the two spotlights from the Vistalite
coming at her!

As for mounting the blinkies to the head tube, I thought that to be
about the only realistic place to do so. The mount would actually fit
underneath the handlebar bag, and shouldn't be covered. But, I never
thought of actually mounting the blinkies to the handlebar bag!
Something to ponder.

--
Smile!!

__O
_-\ ,_ Eric Babula
(_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old February 2nd 04, 08:46 PM
Matt O'Toole

Pete wrote:

Of course, liberal use of reflective tape would probably work just as
well as adding blinkies (and weight, batteries, complexity)..

I agree. In fact, it would probably be more effective, if done right.

I'm always amazed at how visible firemen are, with the reflective tape on their
parkas. Ditto the reflective vests used by safety workers.

I need to address this myself.

Matt O.

Old February 2nd 04, 10:14 PM
Fritz M

[Eric Babula asked about using 1" PVC to mount additional lights.]

Performance has the "Space Bar" if you want a ready-made solution.

For PVC, 1" is the inside diameter. I think 3/4" PVC will be closer to
a handlebar diameter that your light mounts can work on.

I attached a PVC pipe to my handlebar with a tee connector and a pipe
hanger. The pipe hanger was screwed into a cap at the end of the tee
and mounted on the handlebar. (I've since abandoned this home-brew
"Space Bar" because I don't really need it.)

The two blinkies on my back rack are attached to a small metal plate.
I drilled holes in the plate to match the mounting bolts and dents on
the lights, and another hole to mount the plate. It's fairly compact
and doesn't look like a hacked up mess like the PVC does.

RFM
http://www.masoner.net/bike/
Old February 3rd 04, 03:40 AM
frkrygow

Eric Babula wrote:

I have not actually observed my bike when someone else is riding it.
But, one day, on my way to work (in the dark, of course), a woman in a
car was driving toward me. She actually turned around and caught up to
me, and stopped me for a chat. She told me that she was a bicycler too,
and informed me that she was surprised at how difficult it was to judge
my distance and speed with just the two spotlights from the Vistalite
coming at her!

I don't see this as a concern. In most cases, it doesn't matter if a
motorist misjudges your distance and speed unless you are very close to
them - i.e. where they'll hurt you if they pull out in front of you.
But by that time (typically 30 to 50 feet away) they will certainly see
your 15 watts, so they won't pull out. If your lights make them think
you're closer than you are, that's not a problem.

Check out your bike, using a volunteer helper. (You can do the same for
the volunteer, to return the favor.) Do this on any road you'd worry
about when night riding. Drive past from different directions, and
check from different angles. It's a great learning experience.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install,
fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class
installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dnews.htm ----

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM