Drivetrain questions

Old June 5th 05, 05:38 AM

Default Drivetrain questions

Hello,

A while back I picked up a lot of older drivetrain goodies at a sports
store closeout ($1 each for chains, bottom brackets, cassettes, etc..).
I'm finally trying to make use of some of the items, but have some
questions:

1) Is there any problem with mixing and matching free cogs from
different brand cassettes? I'd like to take the 11T off of an off-brand
9S megarange (11-34) cassette, and replace my Ultegra 12-25's 14T with
it (giving me 11,12,13,15,17,19,21,33,25).

2) Any problem using a 9S mountain bike cassette on a 9S road bike or
vice-versa? What about mixing/matching those cogs?

3) Chains seem to be sold with MTB/road-bike designations. Is there
really a difference? I have a 9S dura-ace road chain that I'd like to
use on my MTB.

4) Can an 8S chain work with a 9S cassette? Or will shifting be really
tough?

Thanks!
Sam

Old June 5th 05, 12:05 PM
Zog The Undeniable

wrote:

1) Is there any problem with mixing and matching free cogs from
different brand cassettes? I'd like to take the 11T off of an off-brand
9S megarange (11-34) cassette, and replace my Ultegra 12-25's 14T with
it (giving me 11,12,13,15,17,19,21,33,25).

Yes, there are potential problems. See Sheldon Brown's website
http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#custom for more details and how to do it
so the new combo shifts OK.

2) Any problem using a 9S mountain bike cassette on a 9S road bike or
vice-versa? What about mixing/matching those cogs?

Capacity of the rear mech? Apart from that, no; touring bikes often use
a mix of road and MTB stuff depending on the owner's preference for gear
ratios. See above for mixing cogs from different cassettes.

3) Chains seem to be sold with MTB/road-bike designations. Is there
really a difference? I have a 9S dura-ace road chain that I'd like to
use on my MTB.

No. In fact, the top Shimano chain for XTR or Dura-Ace 9-sp is that DA
model. I've found it to be a good chain; get a gold SRAM Powerlink for
easy removal.

4) Can an 8S chain work with a 9S cassette? Or will shifting be really
tough?

You *must* use a narrow 9s chain.