Article about SRAM in Forbes

Old September 22nd 19, 06:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Article about SRAM in Forbes

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 9:30:43 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 9:54:19 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/21/2019 11:24 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Technical comment, my Thompson seat posts are noisy. The saddle clamp/carriage bolts creak like crazy, and I'm going to lube up my second post today -- the one on my commuter. With aluminum tubes, the creaking reverberates and sounds like the bike is falling apart.

I hesitate to say this, but on some non-moving metal to metal joints
(not just bicycle parts) I've had success by scraping some paraffin wax
onto the surfaces. It can last a long time. (Let the mockery begin!)

I'm not anti-wax. That would work, but I'll use grease. I was thinking of using PTFEE plumbers paste or anti-seize. I looked at the Thompson site, and it said "Grease only bolt threads. Do not grease under bolt head
or washer and do not use anti-seize." I wonder why no anti-seize.

-- Jay Beattie.

I never understood that warning/recommendation from Thomson. I have several Thomson posts and always greased every metal to metal contact despite it is a tedious and messy job with Thomson posts. Worst post to change a saddle.

Lou
Old September 22nd 19, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 21 Sep 2019 22:46:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I have a Thomson seat post on one bike that probably was 2nd hand when
I bought it. I just greased it and shoved it in the seat tube and
tightened up the clamp bolt. It's been there for probably 3 years
without moving :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.

google will not allow a post refering you to joe papp and forbes for a review of papp's testimoney at today's hearing. [email protected][_2_] Techniques 0 May 19th 07 03:14 AM
Why is SRAM going with a 10s ... smiles Techniques 44 December 5th 05 09:21 PM
SRAM's 10s smiles Racing 38 December 1st 05 03:57 AM
SRAM :( Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 30 June 12th 05 09:58 PM
9 speed sram shifter with 8 speed sram derailleur brent Techniques 1 October 30th 03 03:12 AM