Campag - Shimano Compatibility Question

Old July 10th 03, 04:45 PM
Fred Roses

Default Campag - Shimano Compatibility Question

I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain, and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?
Thanks in advance for your valued input...

Fred Roses
Old July 10th 03, 06:14 PM
Sheldon Brown

Fred Roses wrote:

I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear.

This will all work dandy.

Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain,

You're imagining a distinction that does not actually exist. Go with the
SRAM PC59.

and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably?

Yes.

Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?

Not really, though I'd prefer a Sugino XD crankset for such an
application, due to the better selection of chainwheel sizes available.

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
| To escape criticism -- |
| do nothing, say nothing, be nothing. |
| --Elbert Hubbard |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 10th 03, 11:48 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Fred Roses wrote:
I am building up a bike for hilly light touring, and I'd like to use a
mix of parts already on the bike and on the basement shelf. For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain,

If it's a 9-speed cogset, any 9-speed chain will work, brand not
important.

and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?

I think it should work great.

--Paul
Old July 11th 03, 01:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

fred- For my
drivetrain I'd like to start with a Centaur Triple crankset (50-40-30)
and swap the granny for a Shimano LX 26. Front deraileur is Centaur
Triple. Rear deraileur will be Shimano XT with a 12-34 cassette.
Controls would be Shimano D/A bar-ends, set for friction front and
indexing rear. Since this will be a travel bike I'd like to use an
SRAM chain with removable link. Does anybody know whether I should use
a Campag or Shimano style chain, and whether or nor this kludge will
shift smoothly and reliably? Any "gotchas" that I haven't thought of?
Thanks in advance for your valued input... BRBR

This will work fine, from 26t ring to XT rear, I have built this very setup-.
Use a Sram chain, like a PC-59...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Shimano Biopace-SG chainset question. General 3 July 28th 04 10:59 PM
Shimano upgrade question kj General 10 November 24th 03 04:20 PM
Shimano and SRAM cassette compatibility Zilla Mountain Biking 5 November 22nd 03 03:24 AM
shimano deore vs shimano xt? question Peter Tønnesen Mountain Biking 2 July 3rd 03 04:49 PM