Wireless or not?

Old September 22nd 05, 09:41 PM
D.M. Procida

Default Wireless or not?

I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

(The wireless kit will completely replace the wired one, so perhaps I
should just buy a new bike to put it on, and be able to use the computer
on two different bikes.)

Daniele
--
If a kind Tintin fan could scan for me the frame in which Bianca
Castafiore, the Milanese nightingale, upends a plate of overcooked
Old September 22nd 05, 10:01 PM
chris French

In message
,
D.M. Procida writes
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

Sp there aren't any wires...?
--
Chris French

Old September 22nd 05, 10:22 PM
Pete Biggs

D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

A lot of people think they look neater. I don't really agree or care about
that so I use a wired one for more reliability and less weight and expense.

~PB

Old September 23rd 05, 01:33 AM
elyob

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

(The wireless kit will completely replace the wired one, so perhaps I
should just buy a new bike to put it on, and be able to use the computer
on two different bikes.)

In my experience, wireless freezes up in cold weather. Tidier, but more
unreliable.

Old September 23rd 05, 07:17 AM
Stan Cox

D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

(The wireless kit will completely replace the wired one, so perhaps I
should just buy a new bike to put it on, and be able to use the computer
on two different bikes.)

Daniele

Wireless on the summer bike because it attaches neatly and I dont have
to worry about taping the cable to the forks and covering up any of
the lovely carbon or where it says Look in big letters
Wired on the winter bike because its cheaper and I dont care about
taping stuff to the forks. Shallow..... Me....

Stan Cox
Old September 23rd 05, 10:31 AM
Lab BT

IME wireless stops working at around 8 degrees C, the battery can't generate
enough voltage to transmit across the gap. The display keeps working though.

On the plus side, due to interference from mobile phones, car ignition
systems, power lines etc. you can get some really impressive max speed
figures.

My advice would be to stick with the wires, if it aint broke..... etc.

Old September 23rd 05, 11:38 AM
Chris Malcolm

D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

It alerts you to the presence of nearby high frequency radio equipment
(such as mobile phones) by giving ridiculous numbers, and alerts you
to cold temperatures by ceasing to work. Wired computers don't have
these extra facilities.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Old September 23rd 05, 12:15 PM
Simon Bennett

D.M. Procida wrote:
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

(The wireless kit will completely replace the wired one, so perhaps I
should just buy a new bike to put it on, and be able to use the
computer on two different bikes.)

Not had a single problem with my Flightdeck Wireless in 2 years continuous
use. Ditto a Cateye Wireless 7 (now my stepfather's and still going strong
after 3 years).

Old September 23rd 05, 09:02 PM
C.J.Patten

I had problems with an inexpensive wireless though I don't know if it's
because of that or just a general problem with wireless cyclo-comps.

Some of the problems were the result of the bike it was installed on: a 20"
wheel folder.

There's a maximum distance between the transmitter and computer. My bike
exceeded it.
I bike in urban, sub-urban and rural areas. Urban was downright TERRIBLE
with the wireless for interference. WiFi made it go bonkers.

I gave the wireless to my dad who rides almost entirely in rural areas on a
700c bike - no sensor distance issue and no interference where he rides.

FWIW, when I got a wired model, I ran the wire through a small hole in the
stem cap, through the star-fangled nut and down the head tube. The only
evidence of wires is the short run between the bottom of the head tube and
sensor and the cap and mount. Seen he
http://www.livejournal.com/users/af895/41379.html

Higher end wireless might be less problematic but I've decided I like only
carrying one battery (the CR-2032 "coin-cell" - same one used in my
emerg-LED light - convenient). Less to go wrong.

Chris

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message

Old September 24th 05, 08:29 AM
Peter B

"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I bought a nice Sigma BC1600 computer together with the wireless kit -
and now I don't know if the wireless kit actually has any point to it.
What is in fact the point of a wireless transmitter and receiver?

The lack of a wire looks neater on a road bike but IMHO this is countered by
the larger transmitter.

The lack of a wire means routing on suspension forks, especially todays
longer travel ones, is less problematical but friends who have tried
wireless on mtbs have gone back to wired for reliabity.

my tuppence worth,
Pete