What is a Cime?

Old July 22nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom2000

Default What is a Cime?

...and how does it differ from a Col?

Many thanks!

Tom

Old July 22nd 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

Tom2000 a écrit profondement:

| ..and how does it differ from a Col?
|
| Many thanks!
|
| Tom

Sometimes these terms get mixed up in usage, but cime is a peak or
summit and a col is usually a mountain pass.

--
Davey Crockett
-
Old July 22nd 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom2000

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 12:33:28 +0200, Davey Crockett
wrote:

Sometimes these terms get mixed up in usage, but cime is a peak or
summit and a col is usually a mountain pass.

Many thanks, Davey!

Tom

Old July 22nd 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Tom2000 schreef:
..and how does it differ from a Col?

Col: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pass
Cime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_%28topography%29

Bird's eye view in google earth:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg
The cime is where the concentration of blue balls is (the green mark is
off). The race follows the yellow road. Top of the pic is southeast and
riders are more or less going east-west on the Bonette so they are
climbing from the left and descending towards bottom of the pic.
Streetview on the col from west with road around the cime to the right:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg
Old July 22nd 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom2000

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:14:46 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

Tom2000 schreef:
..and how does it differ from a Col?

Col: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pass
Cime: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_%28topography%29

Bird's eye view in google earth:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg
The cime is where the concentration of blue balls is (the green mark is
off). The race follows the yellow road. Top of the pic is southeast and
riders are more or less going east-west on the Bonette so they are
climbing from the left and descending towards bottom of the pic.
Streetview on the col from west with road around the cime to the right:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg

Thanks very much, Ted. Those images sure clarify the definition.

Wow - that's going to be a killer of a ride later this morning. It's
one thing to look at the route profile, but when you actually see the
mountain, it's a whole different story.

Best,

Tom

Old July 23rd 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ted van de Weteringe

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg [...]
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg

I forgot one interesting detail: at the cime there is a panorama table
and a large lightning rod. I've reached greater heights than most at the
Bonette: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/bonette.jpg
Old July 23rd 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

In article ,
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg [...]
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg

I forgot one interesting detail: at the cime there is a panorama table
and a large lightning rod. I've reached greater heights than most at the
Bonette: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/bonette.jpg

It looks like you went up there with Vlad the Impaler.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 23rd 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg [...]
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg

I forgot one interesting detail: at the cime there is a panorama table
and a large lightning rod. I've reached greater heights than most at the
Bonette: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/bonette.jpg

Once I was at a peak in Colorado where the rod was buzzing. I
didn't stick around for a picture.

Bob Schwartz
Old July 23rd 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom2000

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:45:38 +0200, Ted van de Weteringe
wrote:

Ted van de Weteringe wrote:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette.jpg [...]
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/earth/bonette_tothecime.jpg

I forgot one interesting detail: at the cime there is a panorama table
and a large lightning rod. I've reached greater heights than most at the
Bonette: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ewoud/cycling/bonette.jpg

Now that's a picture to show your grandkids!

I can't help it, though. When I looked at that image, the first
caption that popped into my mind was

"Ted van de Weteringe, climbing mountains on the
world's first off-road pogo stick"