Flat wrench size question

Old August 7th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default Flat wrench size question

If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

twitch

Old August 7th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 6, 4:07 pm, Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

twitch

Depends entirely on what fasteners you have. Some of my bikes are all-
allen heads, so I'd probably do a 4, 5 & 6 if I had a quill stem and a
3, 4, and 5 if I was threadless.

On my cruiser, I'd do a 15mm open-end for removing the axle nuts, an
8/10mm for my cantilever brakes and fender nuts.
Old August 7th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article ,
Hank says...

On Aug 6, 4:07 pm, Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

twitch

Depends entirely on what fasteners you have. Some of my bikes are all-
allen heads, so I'd probably do a 4, 5 & 6 if I had a quill stem and a
3, 4, and 5 if I was threadless.

On my cruiser, I'd do a 15mm open-end for removing the axle nuts, an
8/10mm for my cantilever brakes and fender nuts.

Ace Hardware is having a sale for metric and SAE...$10 for six wrenches..

metric Includes: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm, 14mm and 15mm
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

SAE Includes: 5/16", 3/8", 7/16", 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8"

Old August 7th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

I don't believe in carrying any tools (other than to fix flats) on a
road bike, I carry a multi-tool off-road. I can't think of a scenario
where I'd need a flat wrench.
Old August 7th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Aug 7, 4:56 am, Peter Cole wrote:
Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

I don't believe in carrying any tools (other than to fix flats) on a
road bike, I carry a multi-tool off-road. I can't think of a scenario
where I'd need a flat wrench.

That's because most modern road bikes don't have fasteners that need
them.
Old August 7th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zog The Undeniable

Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

It depends what bike you have. On most high-end derailleur bikes they
are unnecessary, unless you're pessimistic enough to want a pair of cone
wrenches.

On most non-derailleur bikes you'll need whatever fits the axle nuts;
usually 15mm, but sometimes 17mm at the rear. Some bikes use 14mm
crankbolts, but a normal flat wrench is useless on them; you need a
thin-walled socket or the crank puller and a wrench to use with it.

On cheaper bikes most things use hex nuts, so you'll have to decide what
might need fixing on the road and prioritise.
Old August 7th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

The three that fit my bicycle?
How am I doing?

--
Michael Press
Old August 7th 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Twitchell wrote:
If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

I don't believe in carrying any tools (other than to fix flats) on a
road bike, I carry a multi-tool off-road. I can't think of a scenario
where I'd need a flat wrench.

That's because most modern road bikes don't have fasteners that need
them.

Some of us ride post-modern bicycles, and thus need
a 15mm for our track wheels, a 14mm for our oddly-
kitted miche track hubs, and a 1/2in (12.7mm?) for our
off-brand quill stem(s?).
Old August 8th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article , Michael Press
says...

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

If you could carry only three sizes in your underseat bag for on-road repairs,
what sizes should you carry...in metric.

The three that fit my bicycle?
How am I doing?

Better than me. I'm just starting out, trying to figure if I should carry
anything at all. Right now, I don't even carry water...but then I don't go that
far. Eleven or twelve miles, tops.

Thanks folks. I have a multi-tool from Topeak that seems to have all I need
except wrenches. I have some loose wrenches lying around so I'll just use them
as necessary.

twitch

Old August 8th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

"Twitchell" wrote in message

Better than me. I'm just starting out, trying to figure if I should carry
anything at all. Right now, I don't even carry water...but then I don't
go that
far. Eleven or twelve miles, tops.

Pump, spare tube, tyre levers, whatever you need to remove a wheel. No need
for water unless it's really hot.

cheers,
clive