A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nutrician and Yuck

Old August 15th 19, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Nutrician and Yuck

The navy research developed ketone esters as an energy source for Seals in combat zones. It is light and supposedly sustaining.

This has been experimented with in in the peloton as well. They haven't been able to detect anything save perhaps a 1-2% gain.

So I bought three small containers for a small fortune to try my own experiment.

This morning was a perfect test. I went on a route of 2500 feet of climbing of an average of over 7% and maxing out at 12% in four or five areas including one in heavy traffic where you have to accelerate hard to cross traffic etc until you can get to the top.

I didn't have time to eat before I left so I cut the bottle per directions 50/50 water and swallowed it in several gagging gulps.

Immediately the thing that stood out is that it has an absolutely horrible taste. So bad that I brushed my teeth and keep mouthwash in my mouth while I shaved. This did NOT get rid of that taste. That taste remained with me for 3 hours.

During the ride I did not feel anything more than what I would expect - I was limited in my efforts to the normal slow fat burning state. Because I have so much climbing in I'm able to control my heart rate with pedaling speed. So I can keep it a little below my recommended max heart rate.

So, my judgement is that there isn't any there there. Paying $100 for three bottles of gook that is going to leave a taste in your mouth that is indescribably bad for hours hardly seems worth it even if it did give you a short term power burst.
Ads
Old August 15th 19, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 8/15/2019 3:09 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
The navy research developed ketone esters as an energy source for Seals in combat zones. It is light and supposedly sustaining.

This has been experimented with in in the peloton as well. They haven't been able to detect anything save perhaps a 1-2% gain.

So I bought three small containers for a small fortune to try my own experiment.

This morning was a perfect test. I went on a route of 2500 feet of climbing of an average of over 7% and maxing out at 12% in four or five areas including one in heavy traffic where you have to accelerate hard to cross traffic etc until you can get to the top.

I didn't have time to eat before I left so I cut the bottle per directions 50/50 water and swallowed it in several gagging gulps.

Immediately the thing that stood out is that it has an absolutely horrible taste. So bad that I brushed my teeth and keep mouthwash in my mouth while I shaved. This did NOT get rid of that taste. That taste remained with me for 3 hours.

During the ride I did not feel anything more than what I would expect - I was limited in my efforts to the normal slow fat burning state. Because I have so much climbing in I'm able to control my heart rate with pedaling speed. So I can keep it a little below my recommended max heart rate.

So, my judgement is that there isn't any there there. Paying $100 for three bottles of gook that is going to leave a taste in your mouth that is indescribably bad for hours hardly seems worth it even if it did give you a short term power burst.

Jacques Anquetil used cocaine at the start of the stage,
champagne in the afternoon and dilaudid with alcohol to
sleep. Next morning, next stage, repeat. He won 5 Tours.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old August 15th 19, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 1:48:27 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You don't think he won because of that do you?
Old August 15th 19, 11:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 8/15/2019 5:19 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

No idea.
Didn't seem to slow him down at any rate.

And look where he is today - just exactly as dead as riders
who didn't use dope.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 15th 19, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 13:09:06 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

In my experience most of the "magic" ingredients actually contribute
only a tiny amount to the body's function. If you are, for example, a
top marathoner and running in the 2:20 range perhaps this magic goop
will let you run a couple of minutes faster, which is important for
runners in that category.

But for a chap that is completing the course in the 4+ hour range,
which really isn't all that bad for Joe Average, it probably won't
help a bit.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 19, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:48:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

And Milo of Croton, who won competitions at six different Olympics,
ate 20 pounds of meat and as much bread, and drank three pitchers of
wine daily. At Olympia he put a four-year-old bull on his shoulders
and carried it around the stadium; after which, he cut it up and ate
it, all alone, in a single day.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 16th 19, 07:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 9:09:09 PM UTC+1, Tom Kunich wrote:

1. I knew a doctor who put aloe in his homeopathic remedies, "just so people know it is doing them good".

2. That nasty taste probably make the SEALs more irritable and thus more fierce in firefights.

Andre Jute
No nasty taste without an explanation
Old August 16th 19, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 3:33:04 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

No idea.

who didn't use dope.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Virtually ALL dope works by the placebo factor. Which is to say is that if you think something has an effect it may allow you to work harder.

Dr. Ferrari made the break-through using EPO and blood transfusions. THIS actually works - it doesn't make you stronger but it allows you to be as strong as you are and recover very rapidly.

Also there is no way to telling if you have been using transfusions still. Though they can hint at it by comparing your hematocrit over time.
Old August 16th 19, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 12:06:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Thursday, August 15, 2019 at 3:33:04 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

No idea.

who didn't use dope.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Virtually ALL dope works by the placebo factor. Which is to say is that if you think something has an effect it may allow you to work harder.

It does? Strange than, isn't it, that the USAF used to - about Korean
war period - include amphetamines in their in-flight medical kits as a
exhaustion beating "get home" medication.

For an alternate effect try any of the narcotic drugs and try to keep
your eyes open.

Dr. Ferrari made the break-through using EPO and blood transfusions. THIS actually works - it doesn't make you stronger but it allows you to be as strong as you are and recover very rapidly.

Also there is no way to telling if you have been using transfusions still. Though they can hint at it by comparing your hematocrit over time.

--
cheers,

John B.