A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Darn near lost my sole early this morning!

Old August 19th 19, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

Default Darn near lost my sole early this morning!

Very early this morning I put Look Delta cleats onto my Louis Garneau road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a kilometer to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats because I'm going on a long ride later this morning.

Everything was fine until I unclipped my left foot. This is what I found when i looked at the bottom of my shoe because the shoe was making a rather loud clacking noise with every step.

https://flic.kr/p/2h1jKEy

I was NOT a happy bicyclist then.

Fortunately the checkout clerk at the store found a heavy-duty rubber band she then gave me and that I was able to wrap around the shoe. With that I was at least able to ride home.

This is not the first Louis Garneau product that has failed me rather early in its life but it is the last one. I'm done with Louis Garneau stuff. It's not cheap as far as prices go buy it's cheap quality. I was amazed at how little glue was use to attach the some to the rest of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated to be in 24 hours. It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride..

In my experience and in my honest opinion Louis Garneau quality has plummeted and I've decided that today was the last straw and I'm done with this brand of bicycling gear. My Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes were bought in 1986 and I had the bicycle shop drill them for the Look Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still going strong.

Cheers
Ads
Old August 19th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:11:33 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Very early this morning I put Look Delta cleats onto my Louis Garneau road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a kilometer to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats because I'm going on a long ride later this morning.

Everything was fine until I unclipped my left foot. This is what I found when i looked at the bottom of my shoe because the shoe was making a rather loud clacking noise with every step.

Fortunately the checkout clerk at the store found a heavy-duty rubber band she then gave me and that I was able to wrap around the shoe. With that I was at least able to ride home.

This is not the first Louis Garneau product that has failed me rather early in its life but it is the last one. I'm done with Louis Garneau stuff. It's not cheap as far as prices go buy it's cheap quality. I was amazed at how little glue was use to attach the some to the rest of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated to be in 24 hours. It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

In my experience and in my honest opinion Louis Garneau quality has plummeted and I've decided that today was the last straw and I'm done with this brand of bicycling gear. My Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes were bought in 1986 and I had the bicycle shop drill them for the Look Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still going strong.

Cheers

Buy a container (small) of Gorilla Glue. This is NOT unusual and is the wear characteristics of a shoe that doesn't have a stiff enough sole.

\Being you I assumed you have misspelled "soul".
Old August 19th 19, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 12:01:02 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:11:33 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

This is not the first Louis Garneau product that has failed me rather early in its life but it is the last one. I'm done with Louis Garneau stuff. It's not cheap as far as prices go buy it's cheap quality. I was amazed at how little glue was use to attach the some to the rest of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated to be in 24 hours. It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

Cheers

Buy a container (small) of Gorilla Glue. This is NOT unusual and is the wear characteristics of a shoe that doesn't have a stiff enough sole.

\Being you I assumed you have misspelled "soul".

Ah, Tom did you read my post? It clearly states that i used Gorilla Glue to reattach the sole to the shoe.

Btw, sole is not a misspelled word as it's the sole of the shoe not a spiritual soul.

Cheers
Old August 19th 19, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 6:11:33 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Cheers

I've repaired two pair of stiff-soled shoes with JB weld two-part epoxy. One was a DMX Carbon, and the other was a Northwave Carbon. I got several more years out of both pair.
Old August 21st 19, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Monday, 19 August 2019 16:42:15 UTC-4, wrote:

Cheers

I've repaired two pair of stiff-soled shoes with JB weld two-part epoxy. One was a DMX Carbon, and the other was a Northwave Carbon. I got several more years out of both pair.

The Gorilla Glue repaired shoe is holding up so far which is a good thing because today the right sole separated from most of the right show. The only reason neither sole came off completely is that there are two rives through the heel/sole of the shoes.

Just for fun I'm going to send an image of the shoes with separated soles, to Louis Garneau.

Cheers
Old August 21st 19, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 2019-08-19 03:11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Very early this morning I put Look Delta cleats onto my Louis Garneau
road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a
kilometer to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats
because I'm going on a long ride later this morning.

Everything was fine until I unclipped my left foot. This is what I
found when i looked at the bottom of my shoe because the shoe was
making a rather loud clacking noise with every step.

Just imagine it coming off during a hard-pedal section.

Fortunately the checkout clerk at the store found a heavy-duty rubber
band she then gave me and that I was able to wrap around the shoe.
With that I was at least able to ride home.

This is not the first Louis Garneau product that has failed me rather
early in its life but it is the last one. I'm done with Louis Garneau
stuff. It's not cheap as far as prices go buy it's cheap quality. I
was amazed at how little glue was use to attach the some to the rest
of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big
clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used
to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated
to be in 24 hours.

Aren't you supposed to use E6000 or Shoe Goo for that job? I believe
there are some plastics that Gorilla Glue does not adhere to very well,
otherwise being a good product.

I'll have to do something similar now because I completely wore down the
sole of the orthopedic boot after my last bicycle crash. Those things
don't even last 50 miles.

... It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas
Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look
Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

In my experience and in my honest opinion Louis Garneau quality has
plummeted and I've decided that today was the last straw and I'm done
with this brand of bicycling gear. My Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes were
bought in 1986 and I had the bicycle shop drill them for the Look
Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still
going strong.

Wow, but they must smell pretty bad by now :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 21st 19, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 8/21/2019 2:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Cheers

The Gorilla Glue repaired shoe is holding up so far which is a good thing because today the right sole separated from most of the right show. The only reason neither sole came off completely is that there are two rives through the heel/sole of the shoes.

Just for fun I'm going to send an image of the shoes with separated soles, to Louis Garneau.

Cheers

In Shenzhen or in Guangzhou?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old August 21st 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]
external usenet poster

AMuzi wrote:
On 8/21/2019 2:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a kilometer
to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats because I'm
going on a long ride later this morning.

of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big clamps
and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used to try
and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated to be in
24 hours. It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas Eddy
Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look Delta
cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still going strong.

Cheers

I've repaired two pair of stiff-soled shoes with JB weld two-part
epoxy. One was a DMX Carbon, and the other was a Northwave Carbon. I
got several more years out of both pair.

The Gorilla Glue repaired shoe is holding up so far which is a good
thing because today the right sole separated from most of the right
show. The only reason neither sole came off completely is that there are
two rives through the heel/sole of the shoes.

Just for fun I'm going to send an image of the shoes with separated
soles, to Louis Garneau.

Cheers

In Shenzhen or in Guangzhou?

Certainly not any longer in Quebec...

--
duane
Old August 22nd 19, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 15:58:06 UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2019-08-19 03:11, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
road-bicycling shoes and then went for a ride of just over a
kilometer to go to a store and to test the placement of the cleats
because I'm going on a long ride later this morning.

Just imagine it coming off during a hard-pedal section.

of the shoe. Right now the show is heavily clamped with two big
clamps and a bunch of nylon toe-straps whilst the Gorilla Glue I used
to try and reattach the sole to the shoe fully cures which is stated
to be in 24 hours.

Aren't you supposed to use E6000 or Shoe Goo for that job? I believe
there are some plastics that Gorilla Glue does not adhere to very well,
otherwise being a good product.

I'll have to do something similar now because I completely wore down the
sole of the orthopedic boot after my last bicycle crash. Those things
don't even last 50 miles.

... It's a good thing I have a pair of vintage Adidas
Eddy Merckx Competition Shoes I was able to put another pair of Look
Delta cleats on so I can use those shoes for today's ride.

Delta cleats at the time when I bought them and those shoes are still
going strong.

Wow, but they must smell pretty bad by now :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

The Gorilla Glue is FAR superior to Shoe Goo. I've use Shoe Goo on regular shoes in the past and they didn't last long.

My 35 or so years old Adidas Eddy Merckx shoes don't smell at all. that's because they don't have a nose. LOL VBEG

Cheers
Old August 22nd 19, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 8/21/2019 3:46 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

FWIW: My wife was on a hike with a friend and lost the lugged sole of
her hiking boot.

I searched online for recommended cements, and the recommendation I got
most was to use Barge Cement. That's a brand name. I was able to find
Barge Cement only online, through Ebay IIRC.

I can't guarantee it's best, but the repair has held up through quite a
bit of winter walking. (She uses other shoes in warm weather.)

--
- Frank Krygowski