Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

Old August 20th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Interesting heart related observation on today's ride

Andre Jute writes:

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 1:52:59 AM UTC+1, Radey Shouman wrote:

It seems possible that the pressure setpoint is somehow set by metabolic
requirements

Blood pressure operates exactly as an engineer would expect. If you
open up the blood vessels, say with oxygen intake or (somewhat
counterintuitively, with compression clothing which a lot of lycra
is), the blood flows faster and the pressure drops.

If I have a positive displacement pump running at constant speed pumping
fluid over a closed circuit, and the flow resistance changes, I don't
expect the flow rate to go up, I expect the power required by the pump
to go down. The question in my mind is how the speed (heart rate) is
actually controlled.
Old August 20th 19, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/20/2019 10:26 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 10:14:45 UTC-4, Ted Heise wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 00:47:40 +0000 (UTC),
Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a
fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that
at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER
that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing
around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA

Or, according to Livestrong it could be:
(https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...ring-exercise/)

" A Drop in Heart Rate During Exercise
Bonnie Singleton

Exercise boosts your blood pressure and heart rate temporarily and is one of the best ways to promote a healthy heart. But if you experience a drop in your heart rate while exercising, it could signify either a minor, temporary problem or a more serious underlying cardiovascular condition. Consult your doctor about any drop in heart rate while exercising.
Man exercising on treadmill at gym
(Image: Comstock/Stockbyte/Getty Images)
Video of the Day
Identification

Your heart rate, or pulse, is the number of times your heart beats per minute and is a way to tell how hard and effectively your heart is working. When your heart expands and contracts, forcing blood through your veins and arteries, you can feel and count those pulses at places like your wrist or neck. If your resting heart rate is between 60 and 90 beats per minute, it's considered normal. Depending upon your age, the maximum heart rate you should experience during exercise can range from 150 to 200. If your heart rate drops too low during rest or exercise, it can lead to lightheadedness, fatigue and fainting, the National Emergency Medicine Association warns.
Causes

One of the most common causes of a drop in your heart rate while exercising is vasovagal, or neurocardiogenic, syncope, when blood vessels expand and blood pools in the lower parts of your body. This is often precipitated by overheating or dehydration, the Mayo Clinic explains. A heart arrhythmia called bradycardia can cause your heart to beat too slowly. This is usually a result of damage to the heart from a previous heart attack or heart disease. Adams-Stokes disease and "sick sinus syndrome" are two other conditions caused by a heart rhythm disorder that makes your heart rate slow down, the American Heart Association adds.
Prevention/Solution

If you have bradycardia or vasovagal syncope, you may not need any treatment unless you experience prolonged or repeated attacks, in which case your doctor may give you medication or implant an artificial pacemaker. If your heart-rate drop is tied to overheating or dehydration, you should make sure to avoid exercising during the hottest parts of the day, dress appropriately and drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.
Warning

If you find your heart rate is dropping on a regular basis during exercise, you should check with your doctor to determine if you have a heart arrhythmia or heart disease causing the problem. If you feel faint due to a drop in your pulse rate while exercising, the Mayo Clinic recommends that you stop immediately, lie down and lift your legs slightly until you recover, or put your head between your knees."

I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, but: I know a guy who began to
experience problems on fairly leisurely bike rides. Another friend who
rode with him told of the guy pulling over to the side of a road and
saying "I started getting tunnel vision so I stopped, then everything
went black. But I'm OK now" and continued riding.

He finally got checked out after multiple incidents, and after one
failed attempt, now has a working pacemaker. Unfortunately, he doesn't
ride much at all now.

But it does occur to me, it's easy to double check your HRM by simply
counting your pulse with a watch. If it's not a problem with the HRM,
perhaps you should talk to a doctor.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 20th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/20/2019 10:42 AM, Ted Heise wrote:
Ralph Barone wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved
a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was
that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm
LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just
standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst
exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

No. Never.

Me neither, and I'm skeptical your HRM was correct.

I???ve had my HRM lock onto a harmonic of my heart rate if the
strap was too dry (ie: actual heart rate is 75, HRM reads 150).
Once I start sweating, it will usually fix itself, although I
may have to pull the strap off my chest for a second to force
it to reset.

I've had similar harmonics, but usually resulting from a mild
arrhythmia. Specifically, from time to time I've had occasional
runs of premature atrial contractions, and it shows as an increase
from the low 150s to 227 or thereabouts (the max the unit can
register, I think).

Seeing a rate *lower* than resting wouldn't be a harmonic, but
maybe there are beats being missed by the unit and it's reading
low as a result?

As I just suggested, checking one's pulse with a watch should resolve that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 20th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

There are two ways that could happen: Either you were riding very easy or more likely, the means you have for measuring your pulse rate is inaccurate.

Pulse rate is the one sure way that you can measure accurately the physical stress on your body. Sitting around the house and then standing up I have to be very careful because my pulse is so low that I have insufficient blood pressure and standing up makes me light headed.

Medical note: those with inherent pulmonary conditions CAN have a lower pulse when doing moderate exercise. If you reproduce these conditions I would suggest you discussing this with your doctor.
Old August 20th 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 1:11:25 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:53:32 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 19/08/2019 3:09 p.m., Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

What are you using to measure your heart rate? If it's a smart watch,
you need to pay attention to the angle of your wrist. I use a watch
like that generally but not specific to cycling. So I tend to leave it
on when riding.

To track my cycling heart rate I use a chest strap. I know that the
watch is not very accurate with my wrists bent in cycling position.

Chest band heart rate monitor with a watch receiver.

Cheers

Well, that really is the gold standard.

So I would urge you to try to reproduce that and if so please speak to your doctor. From memory you release hormones during exercise that expand your arteries, lowering your pulse rate for any amount of work. If you have clogged or clogging arteries you could have a higher than normal resting heart rate.
Old August 21st 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 13:42:03 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

As I just suggested, checking one's pulse with a watch should resolve that.

Good advice. In about 2012, I started having PVC's (premature
ventricular contractions) of the heart.
https://learningcentral.health.unm.edu/learning/user/onlineaccess/CE/bac_online/idio/pvca.html
The only heart rate measurement device that would produce somewhat
reliable numbers was the traditional pressure cuff, stethoscope, and
wrist watch. Even the elaborate hospital heart monitors produced
garbage. My Omron HEM-755 produced an erratic heart beat warning and
displayed random numbers for the heart rate. Various cheap finger tip
pulse oximeters decided that I must be dead and refused to display any
numbers. On an ECG graph, my heart beats (QRS complex) looked like a
rumba dance beat. I can only guess what numbers a bicycle computer
might have produced. I didn't try.

Fortunately, over a period of about 4 years, the PVC's sloooooowly
disappeared and are now mostly gone. During this time, I tried
various computational schemes to identify and ignore the extra heart
beats in order to produce usable numbers for my heart rate. When I
used a window filter, that accepted only heart beats that were within
realistic and predictable limits, I could produce good numbers.
However, that only worked when at rest, and not when exercising. After
a few more failures, I gave up. The only numbers that were usable was
guestimation by the doctor or nurse based upon many years of
experience.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old August 21st 19, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-08-19 12:09, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair
bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top
of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was
walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to
someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising
compared to their normal heart rate?

The only explanation I could think of is that there are some really
good-looking women running around where your apartment is. Did that
"someone you talked to" wear a bikini?

8-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 23rd 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 3:10:02 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
I went for a 40 kilometers ride today and the ride involved a fair bit of rolling hills. An interesting observation was that at the top of the hills my heart rate was nearly 20 bpm LOWER that when I was walking around my apartment or just standing around talking to someone.

Anyone else experience similar drops in heart rate whilst exercising compared to their normal heart rate?

Cheers

I've had cases where some sort of Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI, or RFI to be more specific) caused my HRM to show really strange numbers, quite clearly incorrect. I even had a case where a house I used to ride by during one of my commutes would always make my HRM jump up to over 200 - only when I would pass that house, and every time I would pass that house. Clearly they had something running in that house that was blasting out some kind of modulated RF (intentionally modulated or not) that my receiver was picking up. I've seen similar incidents when riding under certain high voltage power lines.

The question a
- was the 'standing/walking around' rate anywhere near what you would consider normal?
- was the top-of-the-hill number what you would expect given the level of perceived effort?

In a nutshell - Once you figure out which reading was out of the range you would expect, you can go from there to determine if it's an equipment or physiology issue.