Campy shifting on new Shimano 10 speed cassette

Old September 9th 04, 04:21 PM
emory32

Default Campy shifting on new Shimano 10 speed cassette

It should work, but if you want it to work perfectly, you might want to
get one of the Jtek ShiftMates to optimize the cable travel. This
application would use the #1 model.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shiftmate

I recently set up one of my own bikes with a ShiftMate #2, Veloce 10
speed Ergos, Shimano LX derailer and cassette. I'm thrilled with the
results, it works great!

Sheldon "Doesn't Always Ride Fixed Gear" Brown
| Admiration, n.: Our polite recognition |
| of another's resemblance to ourselves. |
| --Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary" |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
answer.

Thanks
Emory

--
emory32

Old September 10th 04, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

emory- It should work, but if you want it to work perfectly, you might want
get one of the Jtek ShiftMates to optimize the cable travel. This
application would use the #1 model. BRBR

Not required. the spacing is closer than Campagnolo 10s and shimano 9s, which
is also cross compatible.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old September 10th 04, 08:40 PM
WTD

Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
answer.

Thanks
Emory

I recently converted to 10sp Ergo with Campy rear derailleur and
Ultegra 9sp cassette and have had NO shifting issues. It works better
than the all Shimano set-up I had before. People seem to have
different experiences with this so you may or may not not find the
Shiftmate to be necessary. I would try it first without it.

If you did install one, I assume you could still put on a Campy wheel
sometimes, but it would then be the odd man out wrt cog spacing and
may not be "perfect". It's not really practical to pop the shiftmate
on and off because it requires an extra loop of cable.

Old September 11th 04, 04:31 AM
Roy

I would say the definition of it working is kind of personal.

I tried it despite the advice of my LBS and was not happy at all with the
results. Nothing like being in the middle of a race, climbing in the 23 on
a critical hill and having your chain jumping and skipping around. Seemed
like the adjustments were overly sensitive and I was always fiddling to try
and get it right.

Isn't .040 or .032 is about the width of a chain link? If it is, then all
you need is a whisker of miss-adjustment and you got problems.

"RonSonic" wrote in message
On 10 Sep 2004 12:40:41 -0700, (WTD) wrote:

Ok, will I also be able to run a campy wheel (ya know in case I want a
pair of fancy campy race wheels) with this on? It so this seems the
answer.

Am I confused?

As I understand it, the difference between Campy and Shimano cog spacing

is
0.2mm - converted into numbers for which I have a feel that's just under

0.008".
The thickness of a too-thin guitar string, or two hairs side by side. So

if a
middle gear is adjusted spot on, the cumulative error on the large side

will be
0.040" inch. Since that might be cured with the limit stop, we're up

against
0.032" at the next cog. Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.

Have I gotten something wrong? I understand it is best if everything is,

well,
best, but....

Ron

Old September 11th 04, 06:11 PM
A Muzi

RonSonic wrote:
-snip- Thirty thou seems a pretty trivial amount of
misalignment on something like a bicycle chain.

In our experience you have defined that well. Those small
variances disappear in the noise of a derailleur system with
a floating top pulley.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org